I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

wtf
    THANK YOU
    PAULYPOKER

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

I couldn't complete my previous post as I accidently pressed submit. I couldn't find the edit feature...so I am continuing it as an another post:-

On the other hand, can you rely on sports betting for consistently making money over long term...HELL YES. Very less amount of luck is involved here. I know you cant hit 90-100% of time while betting on sports...but if you are good, you can average around 65%-75%. You can hit that mark pretty consistently over long term.

Another thing in sports betting is the possibility of making large amounts of money with very small bets..i.e playing parlays. The odds range anywhere from 1:1 to 1:1500. I know its tough to hit those big parlays, but on any given weekend you can easily make 3-4 picks that you could parlay to 1:6 or 1:10 odds. Now. tell me how long will it take to multiply your investment 10 times in poker?....VERY LONG...you have to sit down in poker tables for days and maybe weeks to 10x your initial bankroll....and that too if you are on a good run.

I am not saying poker is not worth playing or that you should play sports betting all the time...that choice is YOURS. But understanding the pros and cons of each of them and understanding their ROI is very crucial if you want to make money over long time. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.

poker_dummy101
    poker_dummy101's Avatar Become A Pro!

could you get any fukkin dumber?

PAULYPOKER

poker_dummy101
    YOU ARE Although there is still hope and that is someday you just might grow up.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

Pauly,

I have friends who make their living playing poker. Are they just lucky? I also have friends who make their living from gambling on sports, horses are they just lucky? I guess if you win at a game where there is a quantifiable edge it doesn't count for anything.

You make no sense pal, pack it in obviously this game isn't' for you

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

wow this pauly guy is a dumass close this thread.

PAULYPOKER

20Four7
    Apparently you did not take time to read and understand this THREAD completely and that was your choice. I said the only form of gambling you could consider as professional is sports betting for it is the only form that you can succeed in without any involvement of LUCK.

Grux
    Grux's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post
    I couldn't complete my previous post as I accidently pressed submit. I couldn't find the edit feature...so I am continuing it as an another post:-

On the other hand, can you rely on sports betting for consistently making money over long term...HELL YES. Very less amount of luck is involved here. I know you cant hit 90-100% of time while betting on sports...but if you are good, you can average around 65%-75%. You can hit that mark pretty consistently over long term.

Another thing in sports betting is the possibility of making large amounts of money with very small bets..i.e playing parlays. The odds range anywhere from 1:1 to 1:1500. I know its tough to hit those big parlays, but on any given weekend you can easily make 3-4 picks that you could parlay to 1:6 or 1:10 odds. Now. tell me how long will it take to multiply your investment 10 times in poker?....VERY LONG...you have to sit down in poker tables for days and maybe weeks to 10x your initial bankroll....and that too if you are on a good run.

I am not saying poker is not worth playing or that you should play sports betting all the time...that choice is YOURS. But understanding the pros and cons of each of them and understanding their ROI is very crucial if you want to make money over long time. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.
    No chance you are hitting 60%-75% long term. You would be a billionaire if you could. The best hit around 55%-57%.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    20Four7
    Apparently you did not take time to read and understand this THREAD completely and that was your choice. I said the only form of gambling you could consider as professional is sports betting for it is the only form that you can succeed in without any involvement of LUCK.
    There is NO luck in sports betting who are you kidding? When a QB throws an average of .5 int a game then gets hit with 4 in a game what is that? Oh just a bad game..... No it's called being unlucky. When a penalty is accessed for whatever that can be considered a questionable call and leads to a score against you, is that not luck? When Tim doughtery is reffing a game so the mob gets paid off, no luck there is there.

You make no sense.

If there is an edge for you the luck will even out and you will make your edge.... if there is no edge then no amount of luck will help you over the very long term, in the short to medium term you could believe your a winner.

PAULYPOKER

B1GER1C828
    ? Why are you not using your time more wisely by staying in your think tank with the rest of the RAINMEN
    Figuring out your next loss instead of following me around trying to trash my threads?
    Never mind you can't help it I guess.

PAULYPOKER

20Four7
    You are intitled to your opinion

PAULYPOKER

Grux
    Good point:but sports betting still is the closest form of gambling that can be considered PROFESSIONAL.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

How bout instead of saying "you are entitled to your opinion" you actually respond to his post? You have nothing to refute him with so you yawn and try to make him look bad when you can't think of a comeback?

Please explain how a hail mary or a tipped pass for a pick 6 is any luckier than 2-outing a river? You can't, they both involve luck.

Everything in gambling involves luck, but if you are very good at what you do you can still play well enough to win long term regardless of being "unlucky." If you get 2-outed on the river but you have a huge stack because you've been outplaying people during the tourney you can come back as opposed to being knocked out.

Christ, you'd think someone with "poker" in their handle would have at least some idea of what the game is.

Adding: Please explain Phil Ivey if there are no professional poker players.

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Quote Originally Posted by Grux View Post
    No chance you are hitting 60%-75% long term. You would be a billionaire if you could. The best hit around 55%-57%.
    LOL....If you are hitting around 55%...you are pretty much breaking even or making profit of less than 5% on your bets. This is because of the 10% juice you pay for the bookie. If you are hitting at a rate of 55%, you SHOULD stop betting on sports, cause its just not worth the time and effort.

Having said that, it is POSSIBLE to hit around 60%-70% consistently if you are a good handicapper. I see many people hit around this range consistently over many seasons.

PAULYPOKER

DrStale REPLY TO POST#48
    your first ? read his post's and all of mine. your second?there is luck involved in every single hand of poker.
    your third? VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY LUCKY! Anymore?s

wal66
    wal66's Avatar Become A Pro!

Poker_Dummy, I think being unlucky is a larger factor than being lucky. I thought it was just me being nagative after a prolonged bad run so I actually started tracking it. I wen through a 6 month period prior to football season where I was no less than 55% in better than 85% of the hands I was involved in and won 8% of the time. I waited for my spots. I played my hands aggressively I gave every tell I could to let the other players know they were beat every step of the way but it didn't matter. I got drawn out on. It wasn't one player or one table or one day. The only constant involved was me. So in my world unlucky outweighs lucky all the time.

DrStale

You are out of your mind man. There really isn't luck, there are odds, and sometimes they bite you in the ass. If you play well, for example if you can put a guy on a hand, say he has A9 and you have A10 and you go all-in you will win much more often than you lose. If you misread him and he's holding AJ, you made a poor play and will likely be punished for it. Long-term if you make good, smart plays you will be up and if you make weak, bad plays you will be down.

Phil Ivey is noted as one of (if not the) greatest professional poker players because he's lucky? Are you fukkin kidding me? Dude the wheels just spun off your argument and you're heading for a wall. No sane person with a knowledge of poker could believe that.

Shahbucks
    Shahbucks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1809

As long as you rely on luck you will always be a loser in the long run. I would only get this bothered if I play a hand bad by not getting my money in good. This is a spot you should love to be in 1,000,000 times over and over. The fact is when you DO win that hand it's YOUR turn to cash for five figures since your chances are 1 in 30,000 entries. That guy made a shit load of mistakes and thats all you can ask for in poker. If you don't know why that is I would say invest more time in your poker education. And 22$/hr is a lot better than most jobs and you walked away with 30 more buy ins!

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

I'm pretty sure my IQ took a beating by reading some of the posts in this thread.

PAULYPOKER

DrStale

Ask yourself could Phil Ivey win at poker if he had horrible luck? If you anwser yes to this Question you are
    either totally insane or just ignorant.
    read all vyomguy's post's on this thread because he seems to be the most experienced to date on this subject on this entire thread including myself also read wal66 post as he is on point to as well

Shahbucks

Phil Ivey has admitted to busting plenty of times when he started playing. You only see what FullTilt and ESPN has made him to the public.

DrStale

DrStale Ask yourself could Phil Ivey win at poker if he had horrible luck? If you anwser yes to this Question you are either totally insane or just ignorant. read all vyomguy's post's on this thread because he seems to be the most experienced to date on this subject on this entire thread including myself also read wal66 post as he is on point to as well
    There is no such thing as luck you dolt. Over time it all evens out. Phil Ivey has seen just as many ridiculous rivers as anyone else, but he outplays his opponents often enough to win, just like all winners do.

PAULYPOKER

Shahbucks

lets not get off topic which is No such thing as a professional poker player
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 01-23-15 at 10:28 AM.

Shahbucks

What would you consider a Professional? Someone making a living off of playing poker right? theres also people making 10-20k on the side for fun. wtf should they just say I get lucky for a living?

PAULYPOKER

DrStale

WOW IF I WAS YOU I WOULD EDIT THAT BEFORE ANYONE SEES IT/ POST#57

DrStale

DrStale WOW IF I WAS YOU I WOULD EDIT THAT BEFORE ANYONE SEES IT/ POST#57
    Ugh, you make my brain hurt. You rub your rabbit's foot the next time you get dealt a mid pocket pair and I'll use my head. Later boy.

Shahbucks

So You Wanna Go Pro
    Rafe Furst

July 25th, 2005

View Players Tips

Back to Pro Tips Archive

At the final table of this year's World Series of Poker*, the media consensus was that there was only one pro at the table: Mike Matusow. We've since learned that this year's champ, Joseph Hachem, gave up a 13-year chiropractic career three years ago to play poker for a living. The other seven players at the final table won over a million dollars each. It's a safe bet that a few of them now consider themselves poker professionals. What does that mean?

Three Myths About Playing Poker Professionally

Myth #1: Either I'm a Pro or I'm Not

Consider the following players. Which ones are pros and which are amateurs?

Adam

Adam plays the tournament trail full-time. He's up thousands one month, and broke the next. He's always borrowing money from fellow poker players. He has no life outside the poker world and constantly thinks, "I wish I had some skills and experience that would allow me to get a normal job."

Betty

By day, Betty's an accountant making $50K a year. She plays poker in her spare time. Some years she earns $20K playing poker, other years she earns $100K. She rarely has a losing year.

Charlie

Charlie picked up the game a year ago, entered his first tournament - the prestigious "WPT London" - and won it with flair and showmanship. He netted $500K and got a ton of TV coverage. He blew through $350K in the next 11 months playing every big event with no cash finishes. He's still got a bankroll, thanks to some juicy endorsement contracts from an online site and a beer company that guarantee him $1 Million a year for the next three years. All he has to do is continue to play in every major tournament and endorse their products.

Debbie

Debbie has a bankroll of $500K, She makes (or loses) anywhere from -$50K to +$200K per year playing a very erratic schedule. That schedule is structured around the good games, whether they're offline, online or on the tourney trail. She travels to far-off lands whenever she feels like it, and has plans to settle down and start a family. Someday. But not now.

Eddie

Eddie only plays online, He clocks in, plays exactly eight hours a day, five days a week, at four simultaneous tables no higher than $5-$10 limit hold 'em. He earns a surprisingly consistent $100/hr, takes the family on vacation twice a year, plays tennis, and attends opera on the weekends.

Myth #2: I Would be so Much Happier if I Could Just Play Poker Full Time

TRUE: It's fun playing an hour or two each day.

BUT: It might not be so fun playing all the time to the exclusion of other interests, family and friends.

TRUE: It's low-stress and entertaining, playing as a hobby.

BUT: It might be very stressful if you have to grind it out to pay the bills every month.

TRUE: Those big tourney winners on TV live like rock stars.

BUT: What about the other 99% of the players you don't see, all of whom are competing for your dream.

Myth #3: I Don't Need a Big Bankroll to be a Pro

Check the long list of Former World Champions who have gone a full year without making the final table of a major event. As of this writing, it takes roughly $500K to enter all the major tournaments in a year.

Ask your favorite pro how many times he or she has gone bust in their career, or how many times they have been hit up for a sizable cash loan from one of their good friends.

Poker is a great game; it's tons of fun, and it has never been as potentially profitable as it is today. But try to keep it in perspective.

Poker doesn't have to consume your life. You can make a good chunk of change playing poker, and you can do it without giving up all the good things you have going in your life.

Financially, mentally and socially, you are better off making poker fit into your life rather than the other way around.

Getting back to the players in the introduction, it's clear that Eddie is a pro. And it's equally clear (to me anyway) that Adam is definitely not, even though he thinks he is, and so does the general public. Adam is a dime a dozen in the poker world. You've even seen him and his ilk on TV a number of times. As for the other three, I don't know whether I'd call them pros or not, but I sure wouldn't mind being in their shoes.

"Professional" is just a word. Being a professional poker player is not the same thing as being a successful poker player.

Bottom line: You don't need to be a professional to be a poker champion.

Shahbucks

Hope that ends the tread

Peep
    Peep's Avatar Become A Pro!

okay can you name a profession that consist of 50% luck 50% skill other than poker
    I have been self-employed for 35 years in a number of businesses. "Luck" is a big factor in determining how it goes.

Relationships. If you hadn't been at the checkout at the same time as your wife to be was when the watermelon dropped.

I would be hard pressed to think of anything in life where luck is not a factor.

PAULYPOKER

Shahbucks
    reply to post#59
    First? no My Reason: I would just label them as they play poker for a living.second? yes My reason:they don't want to admit luck is involved so they cover it up buy calling it professional. in other words so they can feel better about there occupation.

Shahbucks

IT'S GAMBLING. (wikipedia)The wagering of money or something of material value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods. Typically, the outcome of the wager is evident within a short period.

Some get lucky and still lose. I'm sure that guy with 34 was out the next time he tried that play. Keep playing it's the only way to get over it. Have a short memory sometimes.

poker_dummy101
    poker_dummy101's Avatar Become A Pro!

why do you feed the troll?

PAULYPOKER

Peep
    interesting point post #64

Peep
    Peep's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by poker_dummy101 View Post
    why do you feed the troll?
    Donno, maybe "something to do"?

Some of the posts in the thread aren't bad, I find it to be an interesting thread, dispite/because of PAULLY, who cares?

PAULYPOKER

poker_dummy101

truly gone fishing toys in the attic over the rainbow you are c _ _ _ y
    CAN YOU FILL IN THE BLANKS?

First 12345 Last