BigBollocks
    BigBollocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Anyone Just Feel Snakebitten Online (Pokerstars for me)???

Guys I'm not even angry it's just become so commonplace. In the last several months I won pretty good on pokerstars, and ever since I made a big withdrawal about a month ago it's just unreal the suckouts against me. It could be player ratings, it could be punishment for a rude e-mail I sent to support, it could be the withdrawal, it could be God hates me (am very open to this one), but it's to the point that I don't even get excited because I know I'll go out to something crazy. And we're not talking ten tournaments with two crazy suckouts apiece. We're talking roughly 1,000 tournaments, with somewhere in the realm of 2-3K crazy suckouts. I've lost to two rivered royal flushes in the last month even (yes, royal flushes). Every tourney is AA losing to 33 on a river 3, AK losing to AQ on a river Q, KK losing to QQ on a river Q, AA losing to T8 all in with a turn T and river 8, etc, etc, etc.

Has anyone gone through this kind of an extended losing streak online, and if so what eventually happened? My sharkscope stats have gone from like 19% to 8% with only 20% more tourneys played it's been so crazy lol. Is it time to just say au revoir to Pokerstars altogether, or what?

Completely Drained,
    BigB

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

BB sounds like you need a break.

If PS is screwing you over (2 rivered royal flushes!?) then they are doing a heck of a job of trying to push you away or trying to get you to tilt - and tilt hard.

Regardless of what the truth is, PS will never admit to anything, and, yes, I have had streaks of bad beats, but none as bad as yours seems to be. There have been times (after a series of bad beats to idiot plays) where I will just go nuts - start screaming incoherently at the monitor and start beating my keyboard against my desk until the supports fall off. When that happens I have learned to just back off for awhile - 3 to 7 days minimum. When I do go back, I play a little tighter at the start, then ease back to a more varied and aggressive style when I start to get comfortable again.

Just take a few days off, and then go back. Otherwise, I would move on to another site for awhile and then slowly go back to PS.

GL.
    Last edited by jon13009; 12-12-07 at 11:25 PM.

BigBollocks

Update: Lost another three tourneys with two two-outers on the river in all of them, lost another two as a roughly 70/30 favorite, lost another couple coinflips (i.e. AK vs. QQ, etc.), and lost to yet another (yes another) royal flush. The royal flush was in a limit game where we both had KJ this time, and I was able to save some money as I just check called with a flush and straight on board.

Thanks Jon. I log-in too many hours for this shit. I've played live and gone completely card dead for awhile (we're talking months) when I worked in Vegas and Mississippi, but I can honestly tell you this is as sick as it gets. I'm not angry, but am just completely numb at this point. I've actually represented Stars at some EPT events, and just flat out sent them an e-mail with roughly 200 highlighted tourney hands and asked them if I should just leave. I've met the guy I sent it to, and just said you don't have to tell me anything else but if I should just get to walking.

My real bread and butter prior to the banning was WillHill poker, but am a longterm winner in the several Ks at Stars too for those thinking this is another idiot bitch thread. What's been going on lately would have to be statistically impossible, as I literally have roughly 90% of my hands in the last two months (of which 95% are favorites going in) lose all-in.

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have just about given up on online poker myself. Played Bodog for years and when you start seeing 4 of a kind 4 hands in a row and straight flushes it is to much to believe. Too many instances of cheating that have been coming out and software can be hacked. I for one dont trust it anymore.

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11516

Hey BB, sorry to hear bout your recent bad run of cards.

1st off take a break for a week don't even look at the lobby of ps room, when you come back youll be fresh and ready to go and you will be over the shock of all the bad beats.

2nd if you don't stop and take a break because your running bad most fall into the trap of chasing, thus usually crippling there bankroll.

You can't let those bad beats stay in your mind you must completely forget about them and play your A game, if you let those bad beats take up space in your brain then you will play the following tournament or game with that on your mind thus not being capable of playing your A game, this is why the week break is imperative.

By the way to anwser one of your ?s yes i have had such bad runs, and the trick is to survive them so you can come back stronger.

Many more things can be advised but don't feel like writing a novel now.

Start with the break , then come back and play a notch lower then your usuall.

DO NOT COME BACK AND JUMP INTO A HUGE GAME THINKING YOU'LL GET IT BACK IN ONE SESSION.

If i told you about my bad beat at the N.A.P.C you'd fall off your chair.my hand KK............FLOP....K-10-10.......I DIDNT EVEN PAY THE LAST BET. PLUS 3 WAY ACTION I FINISH 3RD.

So what do you do ........tell the story to few people then carry on........as you must do.

just remember better times to come................AL

BigBollocks

Thanks guys, great suggestions from people more knowledgeable and skilled than me I'm sure. Al I'd love to hear more on that NAPC hand (was that the tourney in Toronto or AC), and still have more questions to probe you on. I'll be starting another thread for you after Christmas for whenever you have time.

I don't know if I'm right or not, but my theory on Pokerstars is that they have some sort of system that helps preferred players (this coming from a longterm winner with pretty decent stats mind you). I think it's something perhaps along the lines of doubling or tripling a player's true odds. Obviously there are a lot of action flops and rivers as well. Sure guys like DarioMinieri (who I used to play a bunch in the $500 SnGs a couple of years ago) are good players, but if you'll watch he and several others catch an extremely high disproportionate amount of cards. What really gets me is when you see someone with a 3,000 tourneys who has lost money on FullTilt, but yet played 3,000 tourneys and won $50K on Pokerstars. That just shouldn't be happening with that many tourneys played...

BigBollocks

Damn, back to back tourneys have lost to a rivered J now. Got AK in against AJ with an A high flop to have the J hit river, and QQ in against JJ to have the river bring a J. I would generally never go all-in 1st hand with AK, but in a microgame with a bunch of limpers who I was familiar with I liked my chances to pick up a bunch of chips and/or get all-in as the favorite. They don't call the place "Riverstars" for nothing lol. Hope everyone has a great holidays!

PokerStars Game #14042671740: Tournament #71280906, $25+$2 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2007/12/23 - 05:26:30 (ET)
    Table '71280906 2' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: JohnnyXXXXX (1500 in chips)
    Seat 2: Sparrowfart (1500 in chips)
    Seat 3: merle106 (1500 in chips)
    Seat 4: O3PEH (1500 in chips)
    Seat 5: samanna1 (1500 in chips)
    Seat 6: gurlsrock (1500 in chips)
    Seat 7: da_rock21 (1500 in chips)
    Seat 8: christch7257 (1500 in chips)
    Seat 9: RikZzz (1500 in chips)
    Sparrowfart: posts small blind 10
    merle106: posts big blind 20
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to JohnnyXXXXX[Kh Ad]
    O3PEH: folds
    samanna1: folds
    gurlsrock: calls 20
    da_rock21: raises 60 to 80
    christch7257: folds
    RikZzz: calls 80
    JohnnyXXXXX: raises 1420 to 1500 and is all-in
    Sparrowfart: folds
    merle106: folds
    gurlsrock: folds
    da_rock21: folds
    RikZzz: calls 1420 and is all-in
    *** FLOP *** [4c Ac 7s]
    *** TURN *** [4c Ac 7s] [Th]
    *** RIVER *** [4c Ac 7s Th] [Jc]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    RikZzz: shows [As Js] (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
    JohnnyXXXXX: shows [Kh Ad] (a pair of Aces)
    JohnnyXXXXX said, "nh"
    RikZzz collected 3130 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 3130 | Rake 0
    Board [4c Ac 7s Th Jc]
    Seat 1: JohnnyXXXXX (button) showed [Kh Ad] and lost with a pair of Aces
    Seat 2: Sparrowfart (small blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 3: merle106 (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 4: O3PEH folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: samanna1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: gurlsrock folded before Flop
    Seat 7: da_rock21 folded before Flop
    Seat 8: christch7257 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 9: RikZzz showed [As Js] and won (3130) with two pair, Aces and Jacks

PokerStars Game #14041903779: Tournament #71275732, $25+$2 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2007/12/23 - 03:57:02 (ET)
    Table '71275732 2' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
    Seat 1: Mercadier (1020 in chips)
    Seat 2: ifsandbuts (1330 in chips)
    Seat 3: SuperAce98 (2895 in chips)
    Seat 4: Stez07 (1410 in chips)
    Seat 5: Zonda86 (1440 in chips)
    Seat 6: CaliChamp23 (1415 in chips)
    Seat 7: willz03 (1265 in chips)
    Seat 8: JohnnyXXXXX (1415 in chips)
    Seat 9: Mithra1 (1310 in chips)
    Mithra1: posts small blind 15
    Mercadier: posts big blind 30
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to JohnnyXXXXX [Qd Qc]
    ifsandbuts: raises 60 to 90
    SuperAce98: folds
    Stez07: folds
    Zonda86: folds
    CaliChamp23: calls 90
    willz03: calls 90
    JohnnyXXXXX: raises 1325 to 1415 and is all-in
    Mithra1: folds
    Mercadier: folds
    ifsandbuts: calls 1240 and is all-in
    CaliChamp23: folds
    willz03: folds
    *** FLOP *** [7d Ac 6h]
    *** TURN *** [7d Ac 6h] [Td]
    *** RIVER *** [7d Ac 6h Td] [Jh]
    *** SHOW DOWN ***
    ifsandbuts: shows [Js Jd] (three of a kind, Jacks)
    JohnnyXXXXX: shows [Qd Qc] (a pair of Queens)
    ifsandbuts collected 2885 from pot
    *** SUMMARY ***
    Total pot 2885 | Rake 0
    Board [7d Ac 6h Td Jh]
    Seat 1: Mercadier (big blind) folded before Flop
    Seat 2: ifsandbuts showed [Js Jd] and won (2885) with three of a kind, Jacks
    Seat 3: SuperAce98 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 4: Stez07 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 5: Zonda86 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
    Seat 6: CaliChamp23 folded before Flop
    Seat 7: willz03 folded before Flop
    Seat 8: JohnnyXXXXX (button) showed [Qd Qc] and lost with a pair of Queens
    Seat 9: Mithra1 (small blind) folded before Flop

Al Masters

WoW............Two terrible beats BB.

I can see why the frustration is building,but you must have the ability to let it go or else. (i'll let you define ELSE)

There are many angles in which to look at both secanarios.

First off you did what all good poker players want to try and do get it all in with the best of it,then sick ugly luck doomed you. You certainly didnt lose in either case due to poor play, rather poor luck.(if only we could master luck)

Both these examples you have shown are 2 table sit&gos the ability to get chips early is very big in these events as shown by the players who got lucky on you, IFSANDBUTS won RikZzz got 4th, RikZzz is also a huge fish, can't believe he put all his chips in with A-J, a real donkey.

Aggression as you know is a good trait to have while playing the game, and you certainly demonstrate that you have the aggresion part in your game, although not hard to be aggresive with A-K AND QQ,but you also must take the situation into account, in tourney #71280906 you obviously didnt know that clown RIKZzz had A-J, yet you were willing to gamble the whole sit&go with what amounts to a drawing hand, believe me when i say ive done it and most have done it, if not all at one time or another,i think most would agree its a common play done by many players.

Now to play devils advocate for a minute.

Along with aggresion you need the ability to protect your stack especially early with a small field.

You did what many do ill double up and give myself a great shot at the money or go home.I really take the go home part into consideration especially 2 mins into a tourney.

So since we all can see that it was awfull luck, the only other thing you can do is to go back and see if there was a way for you to escape the hand by losing less thus still being in the game.

Or as Hellmuth would say "dodging bullets".

This is just friendly advice, and i do realize this idea of protecting ones stack in a 27$ tourney at 5am while stareing at A-K may be hard to do.

By the way BB just to let you know ,not that it matters at all
    but by putting in JOHNNYxxxxx this offers you little protection.

BB HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Al Masters

N.A.P.C was held in Niagra Falls