whatagoal1
    whatagoal1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

look at it this way lets say all 3 outcomes had equal chance so odds are +200 +200 +200 with no vig

I think what chubnut is saying is that books would offer +175 +175 (+200 draw)

because the books expect stakes to be split perhaps 40% 40% and only maybe (20% the draw)

CHUBNUT
    CHUBNUT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7628

Quote Originally Posted by whatagoal1 View Post
    look at it this way lets say all 3 outcomes had equal chance so odds are +200 +200 +200 with no vig

I think what chubnut is saying is that books would offer +175 +175 (+200 draw)

because the books expect stakes to be split perhaps 40% 40% and only maybe (20% the draw)
    thats exactly it when dealing with an asian line of pick. It has to be remembered that old fashioned bookmaking which is still alive in britain with the big multiples always had the vig on home and away teams and had the draw as their clean out result. With sharper bettors and competative books, the interest on the draw odds has vastly risen where the asian h'cap involves it.

I didnt realize these games arent being played this weekend but i'll carry on when theyre due.

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by CHUBNUT View Post
    thats exactly it when dealing with an asian line of pick. It has to be remembered that old fashioned bookmaking which is still alive in britain with the big multiples always had the vig on home and away teams and had the draw as their clean out result. With sharper bettors and competative books, the interest on the draw odds has vastly risen where the asian h'cap involves it.

I didnt realize these games arent being played this weekend but i'll carry on when theyre due.
    This is the worst theory I have ever heard in my life

Do you have historical data to support this nonsense?

whatagoal1

it may be "worst theory I have ever heard in my life", it is also true

If you want to check the theory study the 3 way corner markets on a euro soccer match, the stats will show that the odds for the exact will be very close to no vig and the bookies will take the vig off of people betting on the over, and to a lesser extent the unders.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7537

it may be "worst theory I have ever heard in my life", it is also true

If you want to check the theory study the 3 way corner markets on a euro soccer match, the stats will show that the odds for the exact will be very close to no vig and the bookies will take the vig off of people betting on the over, and to a lesser extent the unders.
    This thread isn't about obscure markets like corners.

donjuan

Here's a line for Saturday:

West Ham United +0.5 +108
    Manchester United -0.5 -117

West Ham United +375
    Manchester United -117
    Draw +270

Feel free to explain CHUBNUT.

CHUBNUT

dear don,
    my original post was to underline that not all vig is equally distributed especially 3 way soccer. As I stated the only sure one is an asian line pick. the game you have picked is an example where its impossible to know exactly where the vig is, my own view would be that the scumbags is the no vig line due to competitiveness leaving room for manoever on the others. Being out a couple of ticks on the estimation is not a big deal until your trading on betfair at 5k plus a pop then every tick is critical. As per norm I have the scumbags at a bigger price but thats where the king canute mentality has to be put aside and concentrate on other games where perceived edges are more in line with reality. stats and models are all well and good for ballpark probability but theres no stats on perception, thats what your brain's for and if its not up to the task then ultimately you end up a loser.
    Of course I dont need to tell you all this, your a successful pro like many on here. feel free to put your learned opinion forward, we can all something new.

donjuan

Please repost when it's intelligible in English.

whatagoal1

donjuan, where can I bet manchester at -117?

CHUBNUT

donjuan, where can I bet manchester at -117?
    pinny has it at -117. no good asking donjuan for any info, he is an internet bot programed to reveal zero.

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

This thread is a reminder to me why I seldom venture into this area.

CHUBNUT

Quote Originally Posted by katstale View Post
    This thread is a reminder to me why I seldom venture into this area.
    your not missed

CHUBNUT

thats 3 know alls now that HAS ventured in to this thread and HAVE gone out of their way to post derogatorily. yet none of them have put forward any contribution as to why they think this. I havent a problem with people saying I'm wrong, betting is all about opinions but at least put forward some positive input.

jgilmartin
    jgilmartin's Avatar Become A Pro!

Chub,
    An oddsmaker isn't going to post no-vig odds on anything; think about how easy it would be to bury them on the 'draw' bet. If you are betting into X% juice lines now, your line on the game has to differ from the no-vig line by more than the juice in order to have an edge. If you're betting into no-vig lines, X = 0.

Think of regular -110 lines; the no vig line is +100; they would basically be giving you 2.38% of extra edge.
    Last edited by jgilmartin; 03-23-11 at 12:08 PM. Reason: clarity
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: DogLover

CHUBNUT

gil,
    I know from your other posts that you know your football betting and what you say is very true but the draw nowadays is dictated(especially on pick games) by what happens to the other two options. If both are weak in the market because of confidence then the draw price is going to contract regardless of public opinion. Knowing that its highly unlikely that will happen in a pick game, the books can afford to lay a no vig price the draw.
    this is beginning to become a bit of a tennis match so i'll call it a day and let people decide for themselves.

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

I can't tell what is wrong with your ideas because you don't express them in coherent English.

CHUBNUT

Quote Originally Posted by durito View Post
    I can't tell what is wrong with your ideas because you don't express them in coherent English.
    there's nothing wrong with my IDEA what I'm saying is common knowledge amongst the more sharper football bettors. Its pretty obvious that the vig on a 3 way football game is not going to be equally distributed and as I said earlier it need not be a problem to your selection unless your trading on markets like betfair or trying to find an edge on the asian h'cap.

I'm sorry that I dont back my knowledge up with stats or mathematical equations or even with coherent english but I have been doing this for a long time and I'm just trying to stop people going down silly paths leading to depressing futility. Stats have a significant place in betting as does sensible betting but intuition and experience is a major part seldom spoke about on forums.

Funnily enough I found some recent podcasts of Alan Boston, presumably a sharp on college basketball very endearing as a voice of what professional betting really is like, hard work, totally boring and medically dangerous.

CHUBNUT

Sorry about the constant posting but I'm trying to aquire enough points to get 2 pairs of SBR knickers to help with my masturbation problem

DURITO or others, feel free to relieve me

trixtrix
    trixtrix's Avatar Become A Pro!

well, much like your ideas, you seem to misunderstand basic principles such as you're only credited for max of one post per day

Tomato
    Tomato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 618

Try this
    Attached Files

George7904
    George7904's Avatar Become A Pro!

Thanks Tomato,

That is exactly what I wanted.

That Foreign Guy
    I got sunshine in a bag
    That Foreign Guy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3069

The concept of there being just 1 line is leading this discussion down fruitless paths.

How and if a bookie "distributes" vig among options doesn't matter when there are 70 other bookies with slightly different prices.

It also doesn't matter if the bookie is distributing vig or has a different model. The price is all that matters, not how they arrive at it.

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

I know this is a super old thread but I am still not understanding how they calculate it, the pinnacle margin calculator puts most of the vig on the favorite which I think that cant be true, does anyone know the no vig price of this scenario and if you do can you please tell me how you got there
    +713 1
    +416 X
    -250 2

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    I know this is a super old thread but I am still not understanding how they calculate it, the pinnacle margin calculator puts most of the vig on the favorite which I think that cant be true, does anyone know the no vig price of this scenario and if you do can you please tell me how you got there
    +713 1
    +416 X
    -250 2
    Vigged:
    1: +713 = 1/8.13 = 12.30%
    2: +416 = 1/5.16 = 19.38%
    3: -250 = 2.5/3.5 = 71.43%
    Overround Sum = 103.11%, so Vig = 3.11%

For No Vig, simply divide Vigged by 1.0311

1: 11.93%
    2: 18.80%
    3: 69.28%
    Points Awarded:

semibluff gave LT Profits 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

danshan11

it does not work like that, they use fave longshot bias

LT Profits

it does not work like that, they use fave longshot bias
    It is as close as you will get, estimate does not need to be perfect. It gets you in the ballpark.

danshan11

but that is way way off and that is the problem for me as you know I live on the "edge", literally LOL

LT Profits

And FYI, my post above was the procedure from Ganchrow's post.

LT Profits

but that is way way off and that is the problem for me as you know I live on the "edge", literally LOL
    But it is not "way way" off, you will never be precise without knowing Pinny's exact shading. If you are that worried about it, just increase required edge to make a play.

LT Profits

Or if you are feeling BOLD, you can distribute the vig 50-25-25 or however you see fit. At least the TOTAL vig is exact.

danshan11

the total vig is exact but the issue is using my mad science formula from Joe B, I get

Approx fair Approx fair Approx fair
    Home Draw Away
    775 445 -236

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

if u can beat the 3 way line in soccer u are a sharp
    Last edited by cincinnatikid513; 10-03-18 at 12:31 AM.

Gaze73
    Gaze73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1192

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    if u can beat the 3 way line in soccer u are a sharp
    I can beat the 3 way line but not the 2 way line, it drives me nuts but I'll get to the bottom of it. So far my theory is "if you're not confident the dog will win straight up, don't take the handicap" and that includes AH +0. Also this thread is almost as old as the pyramids.

danshan11

yes a very interesting thing is the 3 way market and the weird vig distribution, I have read a million times how the fave longshot bias works but I still really dont get a good grasp on it.

Gaze73
    Gaze73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1192

The fav longshot bias is a myth. They say the market is overestimating the chances of dogs winning, but the issue is that books put extra juice on dogs. E.g. a true 9/1 dog becomes 7.5/1 due to juice, so of course they're going to win only 10% of games.

First 123 Last