1. #1
    OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-02-21
    Posts: 2,316
    Betpoints: 1771

    Woman in $400K GoFundMe scam gets 1 year in federal case

    CAMDEN, N.J. (AP) — A woman who admitted her role in a scam that raised $400,000 using a fake story about a homeless man received a one-year prison sentence in federal court Thursday.

    Katelyn McClure was also ordered to make restitution and serve three years' supervised release. The 32-year-old Bordentown, New Jersey resident is scheduled to be sentenced on state charges next month and could receive more prison time.

    A message was left Thursday with an attorney representing McClure.

    McClure and her then-boyfriend, Mark D’Amico, fabricated the story about homeless veteran Johnny Bobbitt Jr. giving McClure $20 when she ran out of gas on a Philadelphia highway in 2017.

    In truth, state and federal prosecutors said, the group had met near a Philadelphia casino in October 2017 shortly before they told their story.


    They publicized the story through local and national media interviews and created a GoFundMe account that more than 14,000 people donated to, thinking the money was to help Bobbitt, according to prosecutors. Law enforcement began investigating after Bobbitt sued the couple, accusing them of not giving him the money.


    The federal criminal complaint alleged all of the money raised in the campaign was spent by March 2018, with large chunks spent by McClure and D’Amico on a recreational vehicle, a BMW and trips to casinos in Las Vegas and New Jersey.

    D'Amico, described as the group's ringleader, pleaded guilty to federal charges and was sentenced in April to 27 months in prison. He was also ordered to make restitution and is scheduled for sentencing on separate state charges next month.
    Bobbitt was sentenced to five years’ probation on state charges in 2019 and faces sentencing next month on federal charges.







  2. #2
    captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-02-10
    Posts: 28,429

    I remember this they gave him like a drop of the cash and he found out how much they wanted and wanted more. I think the guy was really homeless though . I wonder if they just gave him a better amount or just divided it by 3 if he would have been quiet.

  3. #3
    Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 53,200
    Betpoints: 2482

    I've been scammed twice in the last week being too trusting.

    Never been before and always thought I wasn't that dumb.

    First one I sent a $200 deposit for a John Deere zero turn mower to a scammer posing as a local farmer. Trusted the name he chose to pretend to be.

    Second one I sold a car and the buyer bought a big bundle of cash in an envelope and after counting it twice outside in the wind and getting different numbers. Woman said the bank counted it out and she is sure it is correct, I just assumed I was wrong. Of course later on found it was $300 short so sent a polite message asking about it and was ignored. It was kind of obvious in hindsight she knew what she was doing when she rushed off.


    Not too much money but left me feeling stupid, sad and less trusting.

  4. #4
    JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-11-11
    Posts: 26,148
    Betpoints: 43339

    Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I've been scammed twice in the last week being too trusting.

    Never been before and always thought I wasn't that dumb.

    First one I sent a $200 deposit for a John Deere zero turn mower to a scammer posing as a local farmer. Trusted the name he chose to pretend to be.

    Second one I sold a car and the buyer bought a big bundle of cash in an envelope and after counting it twice outside in the wind and getting different numbers. Woman said the bank counted it out and she is sure it is correct, I just assumed I was wrong. Of course later on found it was $300 short so sent a polite message asking about it and was ignored. It was kind of obvious in hindsight she knew what she was doing when she rushed off.


    Not too much money but left me feeling stupid, sad and less trusting.
    Sorry to hear that mate but the 2nd scenario should have never happened.

    Of course she knew what she was doing!
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/26/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  5. #5
    Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 53,200
    Betpoints: 2482

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post

    Sorry to hear that mate but the 2nd scenario should have never happened.

    Of course she knew what she was doing!
    She badgered me to pay $300 less before she came and again on arrival too. All my fault. Should have learned how to count notes better.

    Oh well.

    People suck I guess is the lesson of this thread.
    Points Awarded:

    JAKEPEAVY21 gave Optional 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  6. #6
    captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-02-10
    Posts: 28,429

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post

    Sorry to hear that mate but the 2nd scenario should have never happened.

    Of course she knew what she was doing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post

    She badgered me to pay $300 less before she came and again on arrival too. All my fault. Should have learned how to count notes better.

    Oh well.

    People suck I guess is the lesson of this thread.
    Yea it is hard to trust people or do anything nice for people because then they just want more or try and take advantage of you. There are homeless (Supposedly ) at the corner down the street. Normally i do not give but once in awhile i give in . Almost every time they end up hounding you for more. The one guy i went in my glove compartment and he saw i had more change in there after i gave him a couple dollars and started wanting everything in there. That is why if i do something it s normally buying food at the fast food place or something that way at least they are not hounding you for more or spending it on drugs or beer.

  7. #7
    JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-11-11
    Posts: 26,148
    Betpoints: 43339

    Quote Originally Posted by captrobey View Post
    Yea it is hard to trust people or do anything nice for people because then they just want more or try and take advantage of you. There are homeless (Supposedly ) at the corner down the street. Normally i do not give but once in awhile i give in . Almost every time they end up hounding you for more. The one guy i went in my glove compartment and he saw i had more change in there after i gave him a couple dollars and started wanting everything in there. That is why if i do something it s normally buying food at the fast food place or something that way at least they are not hounding you for more or spending it on drugs or beer.
    I was taught that at an early age. Probably not a good idea to give them money, if you want to help them get them some food.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/26/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  8. #8
    franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-06-11
    Posts: 5,286
    Betpoints: 7966

    Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I've been scammed twice in the last week being too trusting.

    Never been before and always thought I wasn't that dumb.

    First one I sent a $200 deposit for a John Deere zero turn mower to a scammer posing as a local farmer. Trusted the name he chose to pretend to be.

    Second one I sold a car and the buyer bought a big bundle of cash in an envelope and after counting it twice outside in the wind and getting different numbers. Woman said the bank counted it out and she is sure it is correct, I just assumed I was wrong. Of course later on found it was $300 short so sent a polite message asking about it and was ignored. It was kind of obvious in hindsight she knew what she was doing when she rushed off.


    Not too much money but left me feeling stupid, sad and less trusting.
    Opti. Don't let a stranger at a bar take your watch!
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/29/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  9. #9
    captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-02-10
    Posts: 28,429

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    I was taught that at an early age. Probably not a good idea to give them money, if you want to help them get them some food.
    I normally do not most times it was when i was on my way to pick up food and i tell the person i will get them a sandwich and a drink. Or i tell them i will give them something way more valuable then money. Then i draw 2 stick people holding hands and tell them this represents our new friendship. As i am driving away i look back mostly they just roll it up and start smoking it . But one guy did not i would like to think he took it home and hung it on the wall of whatever box he was living in.

  10. #10
    Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 06-10-10
    Posts: 53,200
    Betpoints: 2482

    Quote Originally Posted by franklee168 View Post
    Opti. Don't let a stranger at a bar take your watch!
    Unless it's my $50 fake Rolex?

  11. #11
    DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-30-08
    Posts: 113,659
    Betpoints: 21429

    Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I've been scammed twice in the last week being too trusting.

    Never been before and always thought I wasn't that dumb.

    First one I sent a $200 deposit for a John Deere zero turn mower to a scammer posing as a local farmer. Trusted the name he chose to pretend to be.

    Second one I sold a car and the buyer bought a big bundle of cash in an envelope and after counting it twice outside in the wind and getting different numbers. Woman said the bank counted it out and she is sure it is correct, I just assumed I was wrong. Of course later on found it was $300 short so sent a polite message asking about it and was ignored. It was kind of obvious in hindsight she knew what she was doing when she rushed off.


    Not too much money but left me feeling stupid, sad and less trusting.
    Jesus

    Stay away from NFTs, Opti.
    Points Awarded:

    Optional gave DiggityDaggityDo 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/26/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  12. #12
    PharaohUB
    PharaohUB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-23-07
    Posts: 4,818
    Betpoints: 60

    When they had their go fund me thing I called bullshit to my gf at time. We were jokingly coming up with ideas that we could do. I don’t get how they duped so many people. People are dumb.

  13. #13
    blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-18-11
    Posts: 3,096
    Betpoints: 18586

    I feel like this level of theft should get more than 1 year. We're not sending the right message about these scams which, again, are serious and major theft. It's life-changing wealth if you get away with it, maybe a year in jail if you get caught? Tons of assholes would happily take that risk, and that's what you're telling them the risk is

    I just don't get why total pieces of shit and drains on society who actively harm others get these very lenient sentences, yet people who have no intent to harm others but simply want to have and consume drugs get several years in prison

  14. #14
    OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-02-21
    Posts: 2,316
    Betpoints: 1771

    i laugh hard at these guys who appraoch me on the streets asking for money ............. long ago a guy shows me wristband he just got out of hospital said the parking authority towed his car away! LMAO evry hospital in center city has secure parking.

    He said i need money to get home! I asked where he lived way far away in suburbs. I said i'll drive you home for $15 ..... he said no thanks i dont want family to know about this or some BS

  15. #15
    captrobey
    captrobey's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-02-10
    Posts: 28,429

    Quote Originally Posted by OldBill View Post
    i laugh hard at these guys who appraoch me on the streets asking for money ............. long ago a guy shows me wristband he just got out of hospital said the parking authority towed his car away! LMAO evry hospital in center city has secure parking.

    He said i need money to get home! I asked where he lived way far away in suburbs. I said i'll drive you home for $15 ..... he said no thanks i dont want family to know about this or some BS
    One of the issues is there is a person at that corner almost every day bothering you. So if you give them a dollar they will bother the next day again anyway. I go through that light so much that honestly i would give $5 if i could get a sticker to put on my car that guarantees they will not bother you again for a year at that corner..

  16. #16
    Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-19-07
    Posts: 29,774
    Betpoints: 97

    Quote Originally Posted by OldBill View Post
    i laugh hard at these guys who appraoch me on the streets asking for money ............. long ago a guy shows me wristband he just got out of hospital said the parking authority towed his car away! LMAO evry hospital in center city has secure parking.

    He said i need money to get home! I asked where he lived way far away in suburbs. I said i'll drive you home for $15 ..... he said no thanks i dont want family to know about this or some BS
    I've had the same issues. Have had several guys give me the same story as to how their relative couldn't come to get them and they needed money to get a ride home. Had one guy come up to me starting that same story a couple of weeks ago, and before he could get started I told him I didn't want to hear it and just move on to the next guy. Guy got instantly offended and told me to fukk off.

Top