TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Question On Car Battery - How Do You Open This Particular Model?

Do you guys see the 6 circular holes at the top? Looks like a star hole... whatever. Does anyone know what special instrument you need to open them up with? Some youtube video?

I don't even know what you would call something like that? Tried google and youtube... but no battery looks like that. I'm sick and tired of corporate America trying to do other sh#$ to prevent you from servicing your own car battery. All these damn batteries are made of 10% acid and 90% water. Bullsh#$ if they aren't. I'm tired of buying batteries every 4-5 years. Service your own battery... it will last you forever.

Now... how do I get those holes open?

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I work on cars for a living and I've never even heard of that brand. Is it a cheap battery? Have you ever opened a battery up before? Some nasty shit in there. I am connected with guys the deal in batteries, alternators, etc, and they don't even mess around with trying to prolong a car battery's life span. From what I have learned is that a successful "re-birthing" of a battery doesn't last very long and rarely do you get it over 50%.

I paid $200 for an Optima red top for my Z28 back in 2007 and it still works like the day that I bought it.
    Last edited by Kermit; 05-22-16 at 05:13 PM.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

have you tried using a quarter?
    Points Awarded:

TheMoneyShot gave Ghenghis Kahn 100 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Take it to a mechanic bro before you burn your face off.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

that company only makes non-water refill batteries
    like most today
    if it doesn't have plainly unscrewable caps don't pop them
    if the battery won't charge make sure its not your alternator
    the batts meant to refill had covers on them you just pry off.

that battery is nothing great and no battery lasts a very long time
    unless you pay top dollar no matter what you do they have life spans
    so head over to Sears.

that is IF you are sure its your battery

http://superstartbatteries.net/
    Last edited by Snowball; 05-22-16 at 05:58 PM.

Kermit

Order a new Battery from Advance Auto online and then pick it up at your local store. Use the code TRT30 and save 30% up to $50

TheMoneyShot

I appreciate all the comments fellas.... I have to study some lines before they go off the board. I will explain a little more in detail... when I get a chance.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

Doesn't a flat head screw driver do the job easily?

Seen them before in Australia.

TheMoneyShot

The battery in the photo was just a quick reference..... it is very similar to the one in my car. Manufacturers are starting to seal off the batteries like this for my size... which is Group Size 48 or H6 I believe it's called. I'm sure you can pry into a battery like this to open it... but will you be able to seal it shut after you open it?? That's what I'm worried about. There are several other Group Sizes that are not manufactured this way... and you can easily maintenance your own battery. Why would you want to maintain your own battery??? Honestly... with the right battery... it's effortless. We've been brainwashed in believing batteries can't have an extended life.... but they can survive and last A LONG LONG TIME.

I own a home that has a sump pump. If anyone doesn't know what that is... just google it. If the electricity goes out in your home... your sump pump won't work.... if this happens... your basement will flood. But, I do have a battery backup sump pump. It takes a basic Marine Battery. So if the power goes out... the battery will last about 4 hours until power is restored... and will pump out the water. I didn't know much about batteries 5-7 years ago.... you start learning more and more because of these damn things. Battery Backup sump pump's are designed to fail... (the battery portion of it).... they want you to constantly buy and buy and buy more batteries. The sh#$ gets expensive. I spent within 5 years.... around $1,000 just in batteries and maintenance of the sump pump area. Yes, it gets expensive. Then I decided.... fuk this sh#$! I'll do my own research.... I found out you can maintain your own Marine Battery.... and it should last a VERY LONG TIME. The Marine Battery I'm using in the basement has lasted me 3 full years... I maintain it about every 6 months. You're suppose to top off the battery using Distilled Water... fill it close to the top.... just at the tip of the battery cell.... and invest in one of these things...

This device right here... will help recondition ANY BATTERY. But you must first top off the battery with distilled water first. This thing is the most amazing piece of equipment every made.

But if you can't get inside the battery.... top it off... and then seal it again..... the plan won't work.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

If you can't afford a new car battery every 6-7 years you can't afford gambling.

Is the risk of getting chemical burns in your face worth saving $75 on a new battery?

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    If you can't afford a new car battery every 6-7 years you can't afford gambling.

Is the risk of getting chemical burns in your face worth saving $75 on a new battery?
    My car batteries aren't lasting 6-7 years. Only avg 4 years. Cost of everything is increasing. Wear face shield.... acid guard gloves... and don't do anything stupid. You should be ok.

Even my house alarm has a backup battery. Those are the easiest to recondition. Battery should last you 20+years. But we've been told to throw away after 2-3 years. Makes ZERO SENSE. Why waste money? Then these clown people are throwing batteries away in our landfills.

cashin81
    hvob
    cashin81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2408

this should be a simpsons episode.

Kermit

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    My car batteries aren't lasting 6-7 years. Only avg 4 years. Cost of everything is increasing. Wear face shield.... acid guard gloves... and don't do anything stupid. You should be ok.

Even my house alarm has a backup battery. Those are the easiest to recondition. Battery should last you 20+years. But we've been told to throw away after 2-3 years. Makes ZERO SENSE. Why waste money? Then these clown people are throwing batteries away in our landfills.
    The best way to prolong a car battery is to always try and keep it fully charged. Nothing kills a battery more than just sitting dormant.

I applaud you if you have found some way to restore a battery to 100%, because I have never met anyone that came close to perfecting a restoration.

My last home alarm battery lasted almost 10 years and only cost like $40.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Buy a battery tender charger and charge your battery. Something doesn't seem right if you are getting only 4 years. Is your car garaged or do you park it outside in winter?

Kermit

Buy a battery tender charger and charge your battery. Something doesn't seem right if you are getting only 4 years. Is your car garaged or do you park it outside in winter?
    He is using it for his sump pump, so it isn't being used until needed.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    He is using it for his sump pump, so it isn't being used until needed.
    I see it now. I have a lawn battery that I seldom use but I charge it with the battery tender to keep fresh.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

Do you guys see the 6 circular holes at the top? Looks like a star hole... whatever. Does anyone know what special instrument you need to open them up with? Some youtube video?

I don't even know what you would call something like that? Tried google and youtube... but no battery looks like that. I'm sick and tired of corporate America trying to do other sh#$ to prevent you from servicing your own car battery. All these damn batteries are made of 10% acid and 90% water. Bullsh#$ if they aren't. I'm tired of buying batteries every 4-5 years. Service your own battery... it will last you forever.

Now... how do I get those holes open?
    call jj... he has the perfect tool to fit inside that little hole..... he's holding it in the photo series below....

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by cashin81 View Post
    this should be a simpsons episode.
    pretty much

The best way to prolong a car battery is to always try and keep it fully charged. Nothing kills a battery more than just sitting dormant.

I applaud you if you have found some way to restore a battery to 100%, because I have never met anyone that came close to perfecting a restoration.

My last home alarm battery lasted almost 10 years and only cost like $40.
    I don't know all the scientific wording/vocabulary etc. But I try. Basically.... there are plates inside all 6 cells. 3 positive and 3 negative. Somehow the acid vaporizes over time. When this occurs.... we lose less and less and less of the liquid inside. Once the liquid drops below the tips of the plates inside the battery cell like around 30%... something gets irregular... inside... I guess that would be the energy stored? Cells can become damaged. And the battery loses voltage. As long as you maintain the balance.... and make sure all 6 cells are level.... the battery can typically last a VERY LONG TIME. The CTEK 7002 battery charger/reconditioner is an amazing piece of equipment. When I top off the battery.... I just recondition the battery using this instrument. Battery is good as new.

As for the house alarm.... it's lasted me around 4 years as well. Just like the battery in my car. I already reconditioned the alarm battery... it's ready to go when the other one fails. Then I will recondition that one. Just keep repeating the process. I just screwed up when I purchased my car battery.... 4 years before I even knew all of this. I wasn't thinking about this entire procedure and I couldn't even get inside the dumb car battery. You learn something new everyday.

I always park in a garage. Michigan weather here... Cold Winters... Hot Summers etc. In my opinion it's just the luck of the draw... selecting a battery that lasts the longest without reconditioning it.

And one more thing guys... NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER ADD ACID TO A BATTERY. Only add Distilled Water to top it off. There are a lot of people on youtube who believe adding Epsom Salt helps when topping off the battery with distilled water. But, I haven't tried that yet. Just adding distilled water works.... and is good enough for me. I don't want to blow anything up.

ACoochy
    Am i serious? Are you serious?
    ACoochy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5324

Have opened plenty of car batteries, generally because the distilled water inside the chambers you mention is running low and needs to be topped up.

Just be careful and make sure the battery is secured where it can't move before you try opening the chambers...

As someone said use a quarter or a flat head screwdriver to open chambers...

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

Quote Originally Posted by ACoochy View Post
    Have opened plenty of car batteries, generally because the distilled water inside the chambers you mention is running low and needs to be topped up.

Just be careful and make sure the battery is secured where it can't move before you try opening the chambers...

As someone said use a quarter or a flat head screwdriver to open chambers...
    Are you sure these guys use the same batteries as us?

The way they are talking it sounds like they have much more dangerous versions. I've topped up batteries 100 times, from about 8 years of age when I'd do my grannies for her.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Have we learned anything from this thread?

I think, no.

TheMoneyShot

I paid $200 for an Optima red top for my Z28 back in 2007 and it still works like the day that I bought it.
    I was introduced into Optima back in 1997. I was upgrading an audio system in a 1994 Camaro V6... baby engine. This audio company advised me to use 2 Optima Yellow Tops. 1 To start the car.... and the other to help the audio system. I also upgraded the Alternator to 165 Amps I believe. I was a big fan on Optima. But I never got to enjoy the car that much... company that installed the audio equipment caused a short somewhere in the circuitry. The alternator kept on frying. Had to keep rebuilding the alternator.... and it kept frying. What a complete waste of money. Ugh... never got involved with sound systems ever again. Just stuck with stock (what came with the car) for now on. Wasted so much damn money when I was young.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    have you tried using a quarter?
    It was that simple. Thanks.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ghenghis Kahn

TheMoneyShot

Well if anyone is interested in knowing the reconditioning results of the battery?

Took a voltage reading before reconditioning... and the meter said the reading of the battery was at 12.51 volts. That's still a good reading. I opened the battery... still had a lot of production left... probably lacked about 10-15% liquid. So topped it off with distilled water. Charged the battery.... then used my reconditioning equipment.

Took the battery reading after it was all accomplished. Reading was 12.98 volts. Just like a brand new battery.

zert
    zert's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3617

I am not trying to start an argument. But just because you show more volts after you charged it does not make it a like new battery. And what you are doing is ok refilling the cells and all but put it on a load tester and see how it recovers would prove more.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by zert View Post
    I am not trying to start an argument. But just because you show more volts after you charged it does not make it a like new battery. And what you are doing is ok refilling the cells and all but put it on a load tester and see how it recovers would prove more.
    Not saying I disagree with you at all. Wish I had a load tester. Might pick one up at Amazon. I just work with the electrical instruments I currently have. Appreciate the input.