NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Anyone Ever Work as a Junior Equities Trader?

I was curious as to what this job involves. What are the hours like?

What skills do you need or do they look for to be successful? Anyone know anything about this type of job?

Any credible information would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    No I rather have a first hand account from someone who actually worked in this field or with someone who did.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Have heard you have to work 12+ hours a day.

No idea if true. Not really sure what they hell they would be doing for 12+ hours.

I would be interested as well if anyone has any info.

jpb383
    jpb383's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

I sent u pm will try to help

NYSportsGuy210

Thanks jpb383.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

i have never been a trader .. but worked for a brokerage firm in NYC .. i can tell you from being around all kinds of traders and salesman in the firm that it isnt easy .. some got in at 6 and left at 5-6 that same night .. then did the same thing over again i did all the balancing for the firm at the end of days .. and i would normally start from 7-4 sometimes 7-5money is great dont get me wrong .. but it isnt worth all the stress .. days where i left late at 6 there were traders there still talking on the phone making deals for the next day and throughout the week .. and also if u work with the banks it could be very stressful as well . they take shiit from no one since they pretty much run wall street now a days if u wanna know anything else PM me and ill try to help

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    i have never been a trader .. but worked for a brokerage firm in NYC .. i can tell you from being around all kinds of traders and salesman in the firm that it isnt easy .. some got in at 6 and left at 5-6 that same night .. then did the same thing over again i did all the balancing for the firm at the end of days .. and i would normally start from 7-4 sometimes 7-5money is great dont get me wrong .. but it isnt worth all the stress .. days where i left late at 6 there were traders there still talking on the phone making deals for the next day and throughout the week .. and also if u work with the banks it could be very stressful as well . they take shiit from no one since they pretty much run wall street now a days if u wanna know anything else PM me and ill try to help
    Thanks You Mad Bro. Getting out at 6 pm doesn't sound so bad. I worked a government job where my shift was 1pm to 9 pm once and 4 pm to 12 am. Getting in at 7 AM suck though if you aren't a morning person.

In The Money
    In The Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2069

NYSG it really depends on what your future goals are? If you want to become a full-time trader or learn enough to trade for your self? Or get experience for something similar? You will learn a ton about the market and trading that could possibly build you a fortune. Are the hours long? They can be sometimes and they can also be very rewarding. I'm an FX trader everyday for a living and do well. Sometimes I work 2-3 hours a day sometimes i work 12 hours but this is for my personal account so it's a little different and I work from home. But this is what I want to do so thats why I ask whats your ultimate goals?

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by In The Money View Post
    NYSG it really depends on what your future goals are? If you want to become a full-time trader or learn enough to trade for your self? Or get experience for something similar? You will learn a ton about the market and trading that could possibly build you a fortune. Are the hours long? They can be sometimes and they can also be very rewarding. I'm an FX trader everyday for a living and do well. Sometimes I work 2-3 hours a day sometimes i work 12 hours but this is for my personal account so it's a little different and I work from home. But this is what I want to do so thats why I ask whats your ultimate goals?
    To make money for my firm and my clients. I hope they let me watch CNBC and other finance channels during the day while I am trading for research purposes. I get a good idea that way sometime as well as by reading Barrons.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

Brebos
    Brebos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 271

No but i'd prefer dos equis

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by robzilla View Post
    Boiler Room is different. This is trading equities not on commission but for pure profit purposes from the market.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

NySportsGuy

Be sure to post any and all stock tips and rumors you get here on SBR.

If I make money from them, I'll send you a lil somethin somethin.

In The Money

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    To make money for my firm and my clients. I hope they let me watch CNBC and other finance channels during the day while I am trading for research purposes. I get a good idea that way sometime as well as by reading Barrons.
    So what do you do know? Are you bringing a book over or starting from scratch?

Inkwell77

In The Money, do you think that a 26 year old who has no background in the stock market or equities market or currency market (or any other market for that matter), but does have a history with the sports betting market and has made money would have a good shot at making it in these other markets if that is what they chose to do?

I am inclined to believe all markets are about equal, but I have no idea. I know the claim has definitely been made that whatever edges exist in the stock market close quite a bit faster than whatever edges exist in the sports betting market because of the liquidity in the bigger markets and lack of liquidity in the sports markets.

It seems that the vig in the other markets is quite a bit less than the vig in the sports markets, but I really have no idea.

Only bought one stock through Scottrade and held it for 2 years lol

In The Money

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post
    In The Money, do you think that a 26 year old who has no background in the stock market or equities market or currency market (or any other market for that matter), but does have a history with the sports betting market and has made money would have a good shot at making it in these other markets if that is what they chose to do?

I am inclined to believe all markets are about equal, but I have no idea. I know the claim has definitely been made that whatever edges exist in the stock market close quite a bit faster than whatever edges exist in the sports betting market because of the liquidity in the bigger markets and lack of liquidity in the sports markets.

It seems that the vig in the other markets is quite a bit less than the vig in the sports markets, but I really have no idea.

You are talking about two completely different things. While yes there are similarities into both the market can be affected by more things such as news or world events that could cause huge spikes or drops in the market. Just like the fake twitter post the other day that caused the dow to drop 140 or 160 points. I trade FX and trade PA using TA off charts so I trade what I see not what I expect to happen or want to happen. Generally I'm flat when news comes out because it usually makes the market real whippy at that time. So IMO it's completely different, but if it's something you really want to do and out the time into learn yes I believe you could be successful.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Good luck

You will not get a look with out a 4 year degree
    3-5 years prior experience min (custodial)

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    NySportsGuy

Be sure to post any and all stock tips and rumors you get here on SBR.

If I make money from them, I'll send you a lil somethin somethin.

I wish you told me this earlier. I'd seriously get back into Apple Inc. right now at $410 a share. iPhone6 is supposed to be a game changer plus increased dividend and huge share buy back plan. Stock only has a P/E of 8....way undervalued. They will be announcing new money making things come August and September of 2013.

I bought 1000 shares of BkofAma at $10.52/share about three months back....already up to about $12.50. Should hit $16.50 in another 8 to 10 months. An analyst at Morgan Stanley I met playing poker told me about NIHD, they make 4G wire infrastructure for Latin American countries for Sprint-Nextel. He told me this stock is a lock to go to $13 to$15 a share by January of 2014. At the time he told me this it was at $6.90 a share and it's already at $9.30 a share about a month later. I didn't buy it but have been tracking it....he looks to be right so far. He said he personally bought about 6500 shares himself and a ton of call options and will hold till January 2014.

NYSportsGuy210

I'm starting from scratch as far as working as a living for this but I knwo how to read trends, trend reversals, on-balance volume for indicators of trend reversals, candle stick and price bar chart reading as well as how to read cash flow and income statements to determine intrinsic value and future company performance.

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by Inkwell77 View Post

Is this guy seriously comparing sports betting to stock market investing or trading?

Inkwell77

Is this guy seriously comparing sports betting to stock market investing or trading?
    As I said I know nothing about the stock market.....

I don't know how you bet, but I can say that many guys who win big money at this don't spend all their time "handicapping" (or watching games/breaking down games, etc) which is probably what you are thinking about. It took me a while to realize that....
    That is one of the key steps to being successful in this "market" imo

Inkwell77

You are talking about two completely different things. While yes there are similarities into both the market can be affected by more things such as news or world events that could cause huge spikes or drops in the market. Just like the fake twitter post the other day that caused the dow to drop 140 or 160 points. I trade FX and trade PA using TA off charts so I trade what I see not what I expect to happen or want to happen. Generally I'm flat when news comes out because it usually makes the market real whippy at that time. So IMO it's completely different, but if it's something you really want to do and out the time into learn yes I believe you could be successful.
    Thanks

In The Money

I'm starting from scratch as far as working as a living for this but I knwo how to read trends, trend reversals, on-balance volume for indicators of trend reversals, candle stick and price bar chart reading as well as how to read cash flow and income statements to determine intrinsic value and future company performance.
    Well if you have enough cash and you're as good as you say, I would just trade for yourself and not worry about the biz. I was a FA for 17 years before retiring and now just trade for myself and immediate family.

jpb383
    jpb383's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 242

any place making u pay an upfront or desk fee is no good.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

I never worked as a Junior trader, but I work for myself trading equities and forex already close to 7 years and I gotta tell you it's not a 9-5 type of job...you gotta stay on it 24/7.
    Educate yourself before you jump in these waters.

GL

NYSportsGuy210

I liked Starbucks back in January when it was around $49 a share and it is already up to $60 a share four months later. Could not pull the trigger on this investment back then because I needed my funds for something else. Again coffee is like a drug for this country and many other regions of the world and Starbucks has the brand name power to continue to stay ahead of the competition. Probably goes up to about $68 before coming back down into the high $50's.

BAC and AAPL look good to me. NIHD still has some legs to it too.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Worked in finance.......it is the same thing.....wall street guys make killing in sports...only reason they don't fool around with more is because of limits. Buying and selling stocks is little kid money...the money is options!!!!!!

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    Worked in finance.......it is the same thing.....wall street guys make killing in sports...only reason they don't fool around with more is because of limits. Buying and selling stocks is little kid money...the money is options!!!!!!
    WTF....ummm no.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

WTF....ummm no.
    You got a lot to learn...keeping churning those accounts

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside Magick View Post
    You got a lot to learn...keeping churning those accounts
    Why do I have a lot to learn considering you made an uneducated and false comment?

In The Money

Why do I have a lot to learn considering you made an uneducated and false comment?
    NYSG, if you're good enough I would do it on my own for my own account. JMO, if not best of luck in the future my friend!

NYSportsGuy210

NYSG, if you're good enough I would do it on my own for my own account. JMO, if not best of luck in the future my friend!
    Thanks. I've got Apple....BkofAma and Concur Technologies (since it was at $66.25). Gonna hold for a good 4-8 month window on these and pick my spots to sell. I don't think swing trading on pull backs, retracements, uptrend lines, On-Balance Volume and Head and and Shoulder (as well as other pattern formations) is for me.

12 Last