ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24609

Very bad Fold...

that somehow gets credit as a GOOD FOLD.

Folding AK(suited) pre-flop...you better be damn sure. Funny thing is that MM calls out Nick's hand. KK doesn't block the Straight or Flush or the Ace.

Assuming the graphics are right. If Nick had gone all-in, 28 to win 42 is just about the proper odds. 41% would be something like +2% ROI.

People call this a disciplined fold. Wow, I'm not sure I ever fold AK(s) pre-flop. Just too good of a hand.

blankoblanco
    blankoblanco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29790

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Assuming the graphics are right. If Nick had gone all-in, 28 to win 42 is just about the proper odds. 41% would be something like +2% ROI.
    The only reason he's 41% in this instance is that the %s take into account cards discarded by other players. Nobody else happened to have an A, and there were very few clubs. Double M obviously has no way to know that (and if anything the fact that it started with a raise and multiple calls means someone else often does have an A). Normally AKs vs KK is 34%, which is a pretty big difference. But what he's especially afraid of is AA

Also, NITucci is not Nick's real last name, there's a reason they call him that. I'm not convinced he does this with QQ, clearly neither was Double M
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8383

I'd fold AK quick there if I perceived the guy as tight, but I've seen AA vs KK so many times lately. Even AK vs QQ sucks because if you miss the flop then they're probably shoving so you're not even getting a true coin flip

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32775

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post
    I'd fold AK quick there if I perceived the guy as tight, but I've seen AA vs KK so many times lately. Even AK vs QQ sucks because if you miss the flop then they're probably shoving so you're not even getting a true coin flip
    I don't care what all the charts say, I strongly dislike QA.
    I've seen QA overplayed so many times preflop only to see that hand crushed by Kxx on the flop.
    Not only did your QA brick the flop, you're probably behind to top pair (Kings) or worse, someone could have flopped trip sevens, or nines, or whatever.

If I'm UTG with AQ, depending on the table I'll treat it like a straddle, if that gets four bet back to me pre, instant fold.
    Later positions I'll call if raised pre, ii not raised pre I'll raise that, the bet size depending again on the table play (loose, tight...)

I've read the books, I've learned bet sizing and all, I prefer to size my bets on who I'm playing against.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24609

Thanks for the replies:

1) Yes, the AQ is often viewed as the hand players hold onto too long. There's a feeling that it's too hi-end in the starting range to let go. In tournaments, AQ(suited) in late stages is very hard for even good players to let go of.

If there's just one action left until All-in, really have to think about letting it go. If there's action in front, you're often crushed and at best flipping.

2) Re: the Double M hand, I do see the counter-point. If he truly views Nick as a low VPIP player, then he could be in tough shape vs Nick's range.

The small size raise (when he could have gone All-in) does reek of being super-strong. If MM is putting his range on AA and KK, I see. He has blockers to both, so that might be 50/50. Crushed vs AA, drawing live vs KK. Which is something like 20% average equity.

QQ would be an easy All-in for Nick. Too easy for QQ to get out-flopped. I do think these precise reads are the key to potentially making any $$ in the modern game.

MovinUnits
    MovinUnits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

AK suited is just that= not a pair.
    You’re playing the flop looking. You might get it. You might not. But one things for sure, you’re not folding it once you’re in it for more. Which means your going all in with it. , and going all in with it is your only out. Which turns it into a semi-bluff…If my pocket 4’s can stand the heat- you lose. Been there all day. Especially heads up.

DJK
    Gee Joon/Teen Bo Guaranteed Winner
    DJK's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7719

I just folded two winning hands back to back at Borgata's 1-3 game only because I didn't want to go down again after just breaking even and the player to my right kept on betting out $40+ pre-flop.

I would have stacked him first and then almost stacked another player across the table.

After being down $200, I broke even with A2 clubs hitting the nut flush on the turn against a top two pair hand.

Then, I folded a pocket Q's when the flop came 6 8 Q rainbow and that would have stacked the pocket jacks to my right.

Then, I folded a pocket 3's which turned into a boat against the top two pairs of Q's and J's with the Ace kicker on 8 Q J 3 J board and she kept on betting out big every streak.

I could have won $800+ in just two hands instead of just breaking even. That's okay since I won $1,400 on a football parlay for the weekend and I was just messing around playing poker.

On the way out, there were two big stacks with about $1,400 to $1,500 each at a 1-3 game and the bigger stack stacked the other guy with the pocket Aces vs pocket Kings and the flop came 8 A K 9 7 with no flush possible. That's a pretty bad beat for the guy with the pocket K's.

eddycash
    eddycash's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15833

Why daf are you folding pocket queens to a preflop raise and you're in position?

DJK
    DJK's Avatar SBR PRO

It was getting late and I wasn't in the mood to go down again.

The guy to the right had the position as he was the button.

Also, he plays only the premium hands and therefore if he had any Ace or King and the flop comes out Ace or King, then what? I would be down $50 and start all over chasing it.

But then, the guy was chasing since he lost a big pot (over $300 of his own) to the woman to his right, so he may not had such a premium hand to bet out like that.

All night I was getting nothing and all of sudden I got 3 hands back to back to back which would have netted me quite a bit. Although, on the pocket 3's, I don't know if I would have called $100 bet after the flop since I didn't get the set until the turn. Most likely not.

DJK
    DJK's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by DJK View Post
    ... But then, the guy was chasing since he lost a big pot (over $300 of his own) to the woman to his right, so he may not had such a premium hand to bet out like that.
    He had a pocket Kings vs woman's pocket 4's and the board came out 2 6 4 Q J. He bet out big every streak and he was lucky that the woman had only about $350 to start; otherwise he would have been stacked as he went all-in after the river.