Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!

Matchbook getting sloppy with NFL Super Bowl futures

There are currently yes/no markets up for 23 teams on "Will this team win the Super Bowl?" 23 teams... 12 in the playoffs... And there are people putting up chump offers on teams that are already eliminated.

Seriously, they need to remove teams eliminated from contention.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

I just took +3000 on Pittsburgh

poochiecollins
    poochiecollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    I just took +3000 on Pittsburgh
    Woah what a deal!

Peeig
    Underbetting my roll
    Peeig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1213

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Justin,

If people are betting on something they don't know about let them..... I had an over bet covered yesterday on Matchbook after the total was over..... some guy bet under and it was already decided. Let them piss away their money.

ryanspeer2001
    Punta Cana '15
    ryanspeer2001's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I don't see this as an issue. The players choose to bet on those situations and should be educated on their decision before making it. There is no mistake or pulling the carpet out from underneath them by any means. They see Lions +4,000,000,000 and want to put $10 bucks on it....knock yourself out.

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 582

Agree that they should remove teams that are not in contention, but let's face it if you are stupid enough to bet a team that is not in the playoffs I would consider that extra tax as a result of stupidity.

tomcowley
    tomcowley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6786

They should close the markets and..... settle the markets. Surprised this isn't also yet another super-slow grading complaint.

BubbleBobble
    BubbleBobble's Avatar Become A Pro!

Matchbook is sloppy with almost everything, as soon as another decent exchange for US players pops up (bookmaker f.e.) they are prolly DONE.

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!

Those linked/margined contracts can be awkward to partially settle. Some strange things happened to my account numbers as they expired AI contestants one by one each week when I have bet the "no" on several contestants. I would see my account value inflated by a huge amount, but my available funds to bet remain the same temporarily until the market was fully settled, where it would then get back to normal values. Maybe they don't want to field so many questions as to why this is happening.

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 227

And there are people putting up chump offers on teams that are already eliminated.
    Matchbook should monitor the accounts of people who constantly put up "chump offers".

There is a guy at Matchbook who puts up $1 @ +99999 on almost every single game on the winning side after its been decided late in the 4th quarter in hopes of catching someone making a mistake.

When I'm around, I will always put up 3 $1 orders at +100, +101 and +102 to get the guys order off the screen.

Matchbook should send the player a warning. IF the player keeps doing it, then their account should be terminated.

The same thing used to happen at TradeSports with people putting in orders trying to buy the winning side at 0.5 and I used to see orders going through every now and again.

Leeches who constantly do this add nothing to the exchange and probably drive away customers.

1st and Ten
    1st and Ten's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by andywend View Post
    Matchbook should monitor the accounts of people who constantly put up "chump offers".

There is a guy at Matchbook who puts up $1 @ +99999 on almost every single game on the winning side after its been decided late in the 4th quarter in hopes of catching someone making a mistake.

When I'm around, I will always put up 3 $1 orders at +100, +101 and +102 to get the guys order off the screen.

Matchbook should send the player a warning. IF the player keeps doing it, then their account should be terminated.

The same thing used to happen at TradeSports with people putting in orders trying to buy the winning side at 0.5 and I used to see orders going through every now and again.

Leeches who constantly do this add nothing to the exchange and probably drive away customers.
    I agree

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Those $1 orders are not only foolish, but take away an important spot from real offers, with only three offers visible at Matchbook (something else they need to improve). The $1 offers could easily give the impression that there is very little liquidity, while the invisible 4th and 5th offers could have thousands in offers just outside of the present price range. There really should be a minimum amount for people placing offers.

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Don't forget sometimes those chump offers are a result of a legit offer that hasn't been accepted when there was still a chance. In my case the offer was placed when the score was under, but one more score makes it over. It wasn't accepted until after that score was hit. I hadn't thought of taking it down because it was done in my opinion.

Shortstop
    542-481-4 +40.25
    Shortstop's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanspeer2001 View Post
    I don't see this as an issue. The players choose to bet on those situations and should be educated on their decision before making it. There is no mistake or pulling the carpet out from underneath them by any means. They see Lions +4,000,000,000 and want to put $10 bucks on it....knock yourself out.
    Great post ryno!

skrtelfan
    skrtelfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3336

ABC Islands (SBR B-) and Carib (SBR B+) do this all the time. ABC Islands routinely puts up future odds on teams that have been eliminated from contention, and it seems like every year before the Kentucky Derby, some horse dies and Carib leaves up their "odds to win the Kentucky Derby" for weeks after all the other books take them down.

Stumpage
    Update your status
    Stumpage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11677

Quote Originally Posted by 20Four7 View Post
    Justin,

If people are betting on something they don't know about let them..... I had an over bet covered yesterday on Matchbook after the total was over..... some guy bet under and it was already decided. Let them piss away their money.
    Yeah, I've seen this at BetFair a few times as well. Pretty mind-boggling. I don't recall the exact numbers, but recently there was a NBA game tied at 100 with a few seconds left, and bets are being scooped up at Under 200 1/2.

Maybe people just have horrible feeds, or drink a bottle of scotch while betting. But I agree; If you're wading into territory where you don't have complete knowledge and understanding, then I (or others) will happily relieve you of your hard-earned income.

JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by skrtelfan View Post
    ABC Islands (SBR B-) and Carib (SBR B+) do this all the time. ABC Islands routinely puts up future odds on teams that have been eliminated from contention, and it seems like every year before the Kentucky Derby, some horse dies and Carib leaves up their "odds to win the Kentucky Derby" for weeks after all the other books take them down.
    The Derby is the worst for sure. Some guy heres about a hot horse and bets a month later. Never realizing that the horse had an injury and has not shot at being in.

trixtrix
    trixtrix's Avatar Become A Pro!

bookmaker/cris pulled a similar stunt w/ their ADCC division odds to win bets, leaving in fighters that has already decided to not compete, and never adjusting their odds to compensate. of course w/ the 32% take out it was hard to find a bet worthwhile in the first place

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Exchanges can afford to be slow. Books can't.

Right now, books have ARI -1 or pk, but MB still has the line at -2.5. Annoying, but it goes with the territory; of not having their own money on the line.

andywend

Those $1 orders are not only foolish, but take away an important spot from real offers, with only three offers visible at Matchbook (something else they need to improve). The $1 offers could easily give the impression that there is very little liquidity, while the invisible 4th and 5th offers could have thousands in offers just outside of the present price range. There really should be a minimum amount for people placing offers.
    I don't place those $1 orders in front of REAL offers. I only do so to take away the important spot from CHUMP offers. I thought my post was pretty clear on this point.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

I put $1500 on a +35000 line for Da 85 Bears this is practically stealing boys

TELL'EM CHARLIE SENT YA

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

andywend, unless you're monitoring them very closely your $1 'offers' are bound to take up real spots during live betting, by pushing the 3rd offer into the invisible 4th spot. That would make them far more annoying than those silly offers at the extremes.

This was dealt with much better by Tradesports, where the minimum contract was for $10 (at 50), so that a $1 offer would only come into the picture near the extremes.

Compared to TS, Matchbook hasn't put a whole lot of thought into its trading platform. It could be so much better. There is no page where I can see and adjust all my outstanding and matched offers, there is no way to enter a time limit for a trade (absurd!), and so on. It's just a dinosaur of a trading site. They're standing still, and the first exchange that takes a truly dynamic approach will blow right past them.

andywend

andywend, unless you're monitoring them very closely your $1 'offers' are bound to take up real spots during live betting, by pushing the 3rd offer into the invisible 4th spot. That would make them far more annoying than those silly offers at the extremes.
    Dark Horse, I know you're an intelligent guy so I'm not sure why you're having such a problem understanding what I'm talking about here.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

I've seen $1 offers during live trading. I'm not suggesting that they would be yours, but I would prefer it if they weren't allowed.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

bleedblue
    bleedblue's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2817

Dark Horse,

You still seem to be missing AndyWend's point. Let's say the Jets are up 17-0 vs. Cinci and because the game is kind of a blowout the market is pretty dead. The market is showing $30000 at NYJ -3000 and $28000 at Cinci -2800. Well, obviously Cinci -2800 is just sitting there in hopes that someone will come along and make a mistake. By putting $1 offers at -101,-100,+101 you push the -2800 off the screen to discourage them from doing it. If they come back with Cinci +200, then you push them off the screen again with a +495,+500,+505.

I don't see how there is anything wrong with these $1 offers.

Edit to add: Obviously if the market is sitting at -140/+120 or something and someone comes in with $1 offers at -121,-122,-123 than that would be extremely annoying, but I don't think I've seen anyone do that. I think it's more that you see the $1-$10 bettors coming in trying to get a better line, so they undercut the market and potentially push the "real" offers off of the screen. That is a little annoying, and maybe something matchbook should fix.

andywend

Bleedblue,
    Thanks for the assist as you clearly understand what I was trying to say.