soli
    soli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22124

Quote Originally Posted by obama our lord View Post
    He is an idiot who can't make a five minute speech without a teleprompter. He is corrupt and has surrounded himself with corrupt people.

I'm sorry, but anybody who would call themselves conservative and say they are proud of Obama is, to put it bluntly, a fukkin retard.

How could a conservative be for nationalizing private industry, Mussolini style. I certainly hope this corrupt f\*g President meets the same fate as Mussolini.
    LOL...man I feel sorry for ya! It's obvious that you are seriously jealous of your President, Barack H. Obama. This will be a long 8 years for ya and I suggest you seek some counseling. People like you are killing the GOP.

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Quote Originally Posted by soli View Post
    LOL...man I feel sorry for ya! It's obvious that you are seriously jealous of your President, Barack H. Obama. This will be a long 8 years for ya and I suggest you seek some counseling. People like you are killing the GOP.

Even Republicans are defecting these days.

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8489

LOL, completely the opposite. Jealous of what?

Days Until Barack Obama is Out of Office

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    LOL, completely the opposite. Jealous of what?

Days Until Barack Obama is Out of Office

Already predicting he won't win the 2012 elections? Kinda reminds me of the people saying Rudy Giuliani would win in 2008.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Put Obama Our Lard and DwightShroom in a giant blender and make pig feed.

bookie
    bookie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1036

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdiggity11 View Post
    Funny, Reagan tripled the national debt and strengthened the War on Drugs. I guess massive spending is ok because Reagan did it right? Other than cutting taxes, what "small government" shit did he ever do?
    This has always been my take on Reagan. As a libertarian I loved his campaign. I remember he was the only candidate in the debates to be against registration for the draft (on Goldwateresque civil libertarian reasons). Then once he got in office Cap Wineberger got in his ear and registration for a draft was maintained and deficits exploded along with jingoistic patriotism.

At least Obama was a big government guy on the stump. Reagan talked small government but wouldn't stand up for it.

I know Regan is out of living memory for a lot of SBR posters, but if you ever want a primer on the gap between his rhetoric and his legacy read his Budget Director David Stockman's memoir The Triumph of Politics.

http://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Politi...1322840&sr=8-1

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by bookie View Post
    This has always been my take on Reagan. As a libertarian I loved his campaign. I remember he was the only candidate in the debates to be against registration for the draft (on Goldwateresque civil libertarian reasons). Then once he got in office Cap Wineberger got in his ear and registration for a draft was maintained and deficits exploded along with jingoistic patriotism.

At least Obama was a big government guy on the stump. Reagan talked small government but wouldn't stand up for it.

I know Regan is out of living memory for a lot of SBR posters, but if you ever want a primer on the gap between his rhetoric and his legacy read his Budget Director David Stockman's memoir The Triumph of Politics.

Lets not forget the roosterlicker got caught selling arms to Iran. Imagine if Obama did something that despicable?

losturmarbles
    losturmarbles's Avatar Become A Pro!

the reagan revolution failed for the same reason the contract with america of 94 failed. power corrupts.

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

When Reagan took office our military was in shambles and our economy sported an 11% unemployment rate, the prime lending rate was 15% and inflation was at 10%. Obama faces nothing even remotely close to what Reagan did.

The first thing Reagan did was cut the tax rates on the rich from 70% to 38%. The military budget went from 130 billion under carter to 300 billion a year as the US rebuilt.

Obama should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Reagan, at least not yet. Hopefully one day we can say Obama was in the same league as Reagan.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't share the enthusiasm about Obama. He's not stood up to the bankers who are trying to take over the world. You'll see. The 'New World Order' governed by one Central Bank, in control of the world in the same way that the Fed is in control of America. All made possible through the issuing power of money (and charging interest on it). Three years from now the dollar may be worth zilch, because the world order needs once currency. In the months and years ahead, expect to see more media focus on this world order idea.

Obama is just a friendlier face and more intelligent voice. Behind the scenes nothing has changed. It is clear that he is a puppet, just as Bush was. Why else would he sharply criticize Wall Street, yet appoint all these Wall Street people to key posts? He's being told what to do.

Meanwhile, Americans are made to believe it is really about left versus right. 'Divide and conquer'.
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 05-03-09 at 01:24 AM.

bookie

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    When Reagan took office our military was in shambles and our economy sported an 11% unemployment rate, the prime lending rate was 15% and inflation was at 10%. Obama faces nothing even remotely close to what Reagan did.
    What evidence would you use that the military was in a shambles? Carter was a military officer who thought that the purpose of a military was to protect immediate U. S. interests. Reagan was convinced that the Soviet Union was a threat and welcomed the chance to win a pointless arms race. Reagan was as foolish about the Soviet Union as Bush II was about Iraq: Yeah he beat'em, but on closer inspection there was nothing there to beat and the spending consequences were a disaster--though not as big a disaster as the cost in human life created by the U.S. military and Reagan's fear of commies in places like Nicaragua, Panama, and El Salvador.

Also don't forget that the economy Carter was dealing with was reeling from the effects of the quadrupling of oil prices during the oil embargo which had started a year or so before he got in office. When the Arabs couldn't hold their coalition together any more--thanks to the market, not to Reagan--the economic outlook improved.

And it's a lot easier to kick start an economy where the marginal tax rates and the cost of money are ridiculously high. Cut the rates, cheapen credit and you're there. With a discount rate near zero and top marginal tax rates almost half of what they were when Reagan came into office Obama's options are more limited.

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

What evidence would you use that the military was in a shambles? Carter was a military officer who thought that the purpose of a military was to protect immediate U. S. interests. Reagan was convinced that the Soviet Union was a threat and welcomed the chance to win a pointless arms race. Reagan was as foolish about the Soviet Union as Bush II was about Iraq: Yeah he beat'em, but on closer inspection there was nothing there to beat and the spending consequences were a disaster--though not as big a disaster as the cost in human life created by the U.S. military and Reagan's fear of commies in places like Nicaragua, Panama, and El Salvador.

Also don't forget that the economy Carter was dealing with was reeling from the effects of the quadrupling of oil prices during the oil embargo which had started a year or so before he got in office. When the Arabs couldn't hold their coalition together any more--thanks to the market, not to Reagan--the economic outlook improved.

And it's a lot easier to kick start an economy where the marginal tax rates and the cost of money are ridiculously high. Cut the rates, cheapen credit and you're there. With a discount rate near zero and top marginal tax rates almost half of what they were when Reagan came into office Obama's options are more limited.

cant believe i just read this, your obviously too young to remember those days.

i was in the military during the cold war.

had reagan not taken that strategy the USSR would still be around to this day spread their losing ideology and support tin pot dictators around the globe.

remember the berlin wall? i am sure you dont, i was stationed there during that period, i think a few people on the OTHER SIDE of that wall would disagree with you.

defending that PUSSY OF PUSSIES carter is a joke, you must be related to him.

bookie

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post

had reagan not taken that strategy the USSR would still be around to this day spread their losing ideology and support tin pot dictators around the globe.
    What's your evidence?

And what's a tin pot dictator?

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

how many communist regimes failed after the collapse of the ussr?

your right, the greatest president of his generation is wrong

now back to your books, while the real world marches on

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post

The first thing Reagan did was cut the tax rates on the rich from 70% to 38%. The military budget went from 130 billion under carter to 300 billion a year as the US rebuilt.

Obama should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Reagan, at least not yet. Hopefully one day we can say Obama was in the same league as Reagan.
    And he did what all Republicans are really good at. He put us in massive debt. There is nothing conservative about Republicans but the word conservative. Every where they go, massive debt follows.

DwightShrute

Carter was the biggest pussy president. It was imbarrasing!

Jacey
    Jacey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

It was imbarrasing!

soli
    soli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22124

Carter was the biggest pussy president. It was imbarrasing!

Just goes to show how folks call the President dumb and embarrassing but yet can't spell the word.

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by soli View Post
    Just goes to show how folks call the President dumb and embarrassing but yet can't spell the word.

good one

andywend
    andywend's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    And he did what all Republicans are really good at. He put us in massive debt. There is nothing conservative about Republicans but the word conservative. Every where they go, massive debt follows.
    Thor, since you DESPISE massive debt (I do as well) then I assume you DESPISE BARACK OBAMA and the democratic controlled congress as they are plunging our country into deeper and deeper deficits at levels never before seen in history.

If you support Obama and the democrats in congress in spite of what they are doing, then that makes you a HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!!!!

bookie

Quote Originally Posted by andywend View Post
    Thor, since you DESPISE massive debt (I do as well) then I assume you DESPISE BARACK OBAMA and the democratic controlled congress as they are plunging our country into deeper and deeper deficits at levels never before seen in history.

If you support Obama and the democrats in congress in spite of what they are doing, then that makes you a HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wish it were that simple.

I ddin't vote for Obama and see that his deficits are not the way to go. I wish he wasn't supported by my fellow Americans, but he is. So I manage my money by protecting against the coming inflation and try to pick technology and health care stocks that will benefit from the coming socialization of medicine and leave it at that.

But I despise Reagan for talking one way and acting another and I despise Bush for the "special appropriations" he used to keep the Iraq War off the budget, for allowing PAYGO to lapse, for the medicaid prescription benefit, for caving to the banks on TARP instead of letting capitalism work.

Obama is just wrong, and I don't hate people I just disagree with. The Republicans, on the other hand, say words that mean nothing. They've destroyed the lower-taxes-smaller-government strategy by repeatedly not meaning it. I'm not at all convinced McCain's budget would have been less than Obama's given his commitment to stay in Iraq a hundred years and have "a strong military" and given that he didn't oppose bailing out the banks in his campaign.
    Last edited by bookie; 05-04-09 at 09:14 AM.

nobshine
    nobshine's Avatar Become A Pro!

I try not to talk politics but:

I can say that when he was elected there was ton of issues on his plate. I thought he came on a little strong trying to be able to change things overnight. Its a learning process and I think he learns every day how tough it is in Washington and the games politicians play. I really do feel that he has Americas best interest in mind but just needs to tackle the major problems first. F'N financial institutions who's greed and power went overboard under Bush to rake in billions of $'s for personal and corporate gain at the mercy of Joe public. Yet, the people need to be accountable for their actions.

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by andywend View Post

Yes i do despise it but this ditch the Republicans left after being handed a budget surplus is so massive that something has to be done. The difference with this spending tho is putting it towards our country and not some shit hole in the middle East or tax breaks to people who don't need the money. Only time will tell to see if this spending will work. Not 100 days.

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes i do despise it but this ditch the Republicans left after being handed a budget surplus is so massive that something has to be done.
    Yep, something like betting 400 units after losing 200 units on a 100 units bankroll.

The difference with this spending tho is putting it towards our country and not some shit hole in the middle East or tax breaks to people who don't need the money. Only time will tell to see if this spending will work. Not 100 days.
    Please refer to the picture I posted in this thread to see how twisted your logic is. Some of us do not need to wait for the results to see that the strategy is wrong.

DwightShrute

Yes i do despise it but this ditch the Republicans left after being handed a budget surplus is so massive that something has to be done. The difference with this spending tho is putting it towards our country and not some shit hole in the middle East or tax breaks to people who don't need the money. Only time will tell to see if this spending will work. Not 100 days.
    what right does Chrysler or GM have to tax payers $$$? why does the government even bother spending tax payer monies into them. Is it in the constitution that Chrysler or GM must be saved at any cost? What about the others who lose their jobs?

Ok the banks probably needed a bailout because of the ramifications that could have caused but the main cause of this economic crisis is Freddie and Fannie, a democrat failed idea created to ensure almost anyone can own a house. Hey, you work at 711 making $6 an hr, here's a$300,000 mortgage, no problem. You deserve it. The fact was, the repulicans were the ONLY ones trying to stop this scam.

Now you want to blame Bush and others. Blame anyone but who got us into this mess.

Retarded and blinded by the media.

Data

Hey, you work at 711 making $6 an hr, here's a$300,000 mortgage, no problem. You deserve it. The fact was, the repulicans were the ONLY ones trying to stop this scam.

Now you want to blame Bush and others. Blame anyone but who got us into this mess.
    Bush was a strong supporter of this scam.

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    Bush was a strong supporter of this scam.
    Democrats caused this crisis because of there love for risky subprime loans at fannie may and freddie mac
    watch the videos below to learn more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4qyNiueqKY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnSp4qEXNM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVVVzEKauzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2RZ0sUcVcE

watch this video and listen to bill clinton say that its the democrats fault
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfGWxqsKFmY

Data

Democrats caused this crisis because of there love for risky subprime loans at fannie may and freddie mac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfGWxqsKFmY
    Yes, this was certainly one of the things that are inline with Democratic agenda and that is precisely why your hero Bush who strongly supported it and other socialist and fascist initiatives was a failure as a Republican president.
    Last edited by Data; 05-04-09 at 01:01 PM.

bookie

...but the main cause of this economic crisis is Freddie and Fannie...
    Dwight I don't disagree with a lot of your post, but I was wondering if you could help me find some links that would help me argue that the main cause of the crisis was Freddie and Fannie.

No doubt they were irresponsible in guaranteeing some mortgages, but as I understood it what put Bear Stearns and others at risk and caused the bank bailouts that have created these shameful deficits was the subprime investments Wall Street firms made in order to package them as mortgage backed securities and collateralized debt obligations.

Again you might have the facts better in hand than I do, and was wondering if you could help me understand where you're coming from.

DwightShrute

Dwight I don't disagree with a lot of your post, but I was wondering if you could help me find some links that would help me argue that the main cause of the crisis was Freddie and Fannie.

No doubt they were irresponsible in guaranteeing some mortgages, but as I understood it what put Bear Stearns and others at risk and caused the bank bailouts that have created these shameful deficits was the subprime investments Wall Street firms made in order to package them as mortgage backed securities and collateralized debt obligations.

Again you might have the facts better in hand than I do, and was wondering if you could help me understand where you're coming from.

sure, watch these. Even the Dems said so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfGWxqsKFmY __________________

Data

From my standpoint this does not sound like a Republican speaking but just like another liberal lunatic.

President George W. Bush addresses the White House Conference on Increasing Minority Homeownership at The George Washington University Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2002

THE PRESIDENT: …. I appreciate your attendance to this very important conference. You see, we want everybody in America to own their own home. That's what we want. This is -- an ownership society is a compassionate society.
    More and more people own their homes in America today. Two-thirds of all Americans own their homes, yet we have a problem here in America because few than half of the Hispanics and half the African Americans own the home. That's a homeownership gap. It's a -- it's a gap that we've got to work together to close for the good of our country, for the sake of a more hopeful future.
    We've got to work to knock down the barriers that have created a homeownership gap.
    I set an ambitious goal. It's one that I believe we can achieve. It's a clear goal, that by the end of this decade we'll increase the number of minority homeowners by at least 5.5 million families. (Applause.) … And it's going to require a strong commitment from those of you involved in the housing industry. …
    I appreciate so very much the home owners who are with us today, the Arias family, newly arrived from Peru. They live in Baltimore. Thanks to the Association of Real Estate Brokers, the help of some good folks in Baltimore, they figured out how to purchase their own home. Imagine to be coming to our country without a home, with a simple dream. And now they're on stage here at this conference being one of the new home owners in the greatest land on the face of the Earth. I appreciate the Arias family coming. (Applause.)
    We've got the Horton family from Little Rock, Arkansas, here today. … They were helped by HUD, they were helped by Freddie Mac. …
    Finally, Kim Berry from New York is here. She's a single mom. You're not going to believe this, but her son is 18 years old. (Laughter.) She barely looked like she was 18 to me. And being a single mom is the hardest job in America. And the idea of this fine American working hard to provide for her child, at the same time working hard to realize her dream, which is owning a home on Long Island, is really a special tribute to the character of this particular person and to the character of a lot of Americans. So we're honored to have you here, Kim, and thanks for being such a good mom and a fine American. (Applause.)

Data

The crisis was caused by the Fed (appointed by Bush) who, reacting to the burst of dot com bubble followed by 9/11, opened the flood gates of money supply that found its way into the Real Estate and the stock markets.

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by Data View Post
    The crisis was caused by the Fed (appointed by Bush) who, reacting to the burst of dot com bubble followed by 9/11, opened the flood gates of money supply that found its way into the Real Estate and the stock markets.

Long before Bush's time. Freddie and Fannie were created way before Bush was elected.

bookie

sure, watch these. Even the Dems said so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfGWxqsKFmY __________________

Yeah I watched those campaign ads and I loved the music.

What I was wondering about were links with an argument, that is the numbers of how much bad debt Freddie and Fannie took on as opposed to the Wall Street.

Also, according to those campaign ads, the Democrats forced the banks to become predatory lenders. What about banks like Wells Fargo and PNC which chose not to expose itself to the subprime market? How do you think they pulled that off?

DwightShrute

good questions

First 123456 ... Last