Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    I don't see it that way at all. I can start my own parlay with say $10 and keep reinvesting the collects. The initial investment (risk) remains $10 .. precisely the same as with a parlay with a bookie. The only difference is that I can stop whenever I want. The big advantage is that I can place each bet where I can find the best odds rather than being committed to playing them all with the one bookie. With these 'open parlays' do you have to declare up front how many plays you are going to try for?
    this works unless of course you are going for a big score and will eventually exceed the book's limits.

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

The books know that virtually nobody has the patience to exercise this option effectively

It is too tempting to try to fill up the parlay quickly

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Sorry, but I must be missing something with this concept?

Why do you need a bookie offering them when I can bet my first play today, play up the collect on tomorrow's play etc etc etc?

What's the difference?
    You can circumvent limits at the tail end of the open parlay. I wouldn't go wild by playing more than a 10-teamer because then you'll be overbetting at the end, but if you play say 7-10 teams, you might be betting essentially 10K on the final leg at a reasonable edge when the house limit on straight bets is 5K.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Where is this option at?

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

The good thing about this is it also opens up hedging opportunities. You dont have to hit all legs to make a good amount of money.

Ez Money 77
    Ez Money 77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    The good thing about this is it also opens up hedging opportunities. You dont have to hit all legs to make a good amount of money.
    Great point Warrior. If you are down the the last couple bets you can take the Favorite on the ML and then bet another bet on the underdog plus the points and win both and make even more money doing these.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20489

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    The books know that virtually nobody has the patience to exercise this option effectively

It is too tempting to try to fill up the parlay quickly
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.

It really isn't the smartest way to bet, even if you are into parlays (which generally I'm not).

But for the book offering these I would imagine it would be a huge earner off unsophisticated players and very smart business.

Hawkeye2011
    Hawkeye2011's Avatar Become A Pro!

EZ I am putting $200 on tonight.....going to try and get a parlay like you. We will see!

Ez Money 77

Good luck bro. I usually try to have one $10 25 team open parlay going at a time then make some regular bets for the night.

beagle25
    beagle25's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1063

It works great with live betting so you can get the play in before it's taken off the board. Lots of times if I try to parlay a live line with say 4 other games, I run out of time. You just do an open parlay with the live game and fill it out later at your convenience.

prop
    prop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2002

If you have simultaneous games there's nothing to stop you putting an ordinary parlay on those games and then if successful just reinvesting the proceeds on your next play.

Why would it not pay as much?
    Do you get any greater odds in placing a parlay with most books?
    I think at Pinnacle you actually get dealt shorter odds?
    If I can place each bet at the book offering the best odds the end result would surely be greater than playing them all at the same book?
    Not reading the thread, was curious how long it would take for someone to bring this up. The only value of open parlays is the ability to circumvent limits. If there is any other reason then I'm not aware of it.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by prop View Post
    Not reading the thread, was curious how long it would take for someone to bring this up. The only value of open parlays is the ability to circumvent limits. If there is any other reason then I'm not aware of it.
    Right, but that is enough of a reason for bigger players.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Even then "bigger players" should have slightly more sophisticated ways of getting their action down than resorting to this type of thing.

I can almost see the sense in a 7 or 8 team open parlay and remaining very patient until a play where 5Dimes has the best price where the recommended Kelly stake is close to the residual/unrealised value of the parlay but to me that just seems like a recipe for having 'funds' tied up for weeks/months.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20489

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    If you have enough decent books in your arsenal then this really ought not be a major issue, but for US residents you may well have a point. But would 5D not also limit them if it meant a potential astronomical payout?

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

If you have enough decent books in your arsenal then this really ought not be a major issue, but for US residents you may well have a point. But would 5D not also limit them if it meant a potential astronomical payout?
    They have a maximum payout of USD 250,000.

Ez Money 77

Some sbr poster won $250,000 about 6 weeks ago. That's what got me into these. Like I said before they work for me. They are fun.

Brock Windsor
    Brock Windsor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 418

So what's the max bet they'll take on an open parlay?

First 12