Dank_Fire
    Dank_Fire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5453

Anyone Watch The Paul Williams Fight on HBO Last Night?

Unbelievable bad call by the judges. Letterman Had Lara winning like 9 of the 12 rounds while the Judges ruled a draw and the other two in favor of Williams. Bob Papa and Roy Jones where saying during the match how Paul was looking bad and the ref may need to stop this match because Paul wasnt defending himself enough. Pauls corner even starts telling him how he needs a knockout to win!!(which he claimed was motivation?)

This is why boxing is a dying sport
    Last edited by Dank_Fire; 07-10-11 at 09:32 PM.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Yes was a horrible (Rigged) decision. Paul williams sells tickets in atlantic city. Money talks.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

I'm glad I was not the only one who had their eyes open. Tough break for Lara, I will be playing him in the rematch. If there is not a rematch then we can assume Paul p'd out.

t-bone
    t-bone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1871

i watched it and i want the hour of my life back. absolutely fixed, not even close.

Dank_Fire

Paul Williams looked like shit during that fight. Just like he did when Sergio knocked him out last fall. Its beyond me how anyone thought Paul Williams won that fight. Id be surprised if Paul Williams is around that much more after this.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

Yeah, it was a bad decision. I also gave Paul 2 or 3 rounds. 5, only if I felt like giving him a gift. The problem with some judges are that they see a million punches thrown and get hypnotized by it. Even if you're not connecting. Lara looked like a midget in there and continually caught him flush. Every time Paul would open up, he would get tagged. For every clean shot Williams would land, seemed like he would eat 3 punches. The judges were either blind, or paid off.

I don't even want to see the rematch. HBO/Showtime should just push for a Carlos Molina and Lara rematch while their stock is up.

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotSinner32 View Post
    Yes was a horrible (Rigged) decision. Paul williams sells tickets in atlantic city. Money talks.
    Paul Williams doesn't sell tickets, ANYWHERE. It's only his 3rd fight in Jersey. The guy is a journeyman.

capone1899
    capone1899's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

Scored it 116-112 for Lara. Lara and Molina obviously were a lot beeter than people thought

Maxmillion
    Maxmillion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4400

fixed, i can see one or maybe two judges ******* up but all three of them? As my boy ODB used to say N---GA please. Christmas came early for Pwill.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

it was great to come out on the winning side of a bad decision for once

Czu81
    Czu81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5709

I'm watching less and less boxing match for a reason

bogbat
    bogbat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2292

I doubt it was fixed, more of a case of idiot judges. Same thing that happens in MMA almost every week.

jesuseatsnubs
    jesuseatsnubs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2305

Quote Originally Posted by bogbat View Post
    I doubt it was fixed, more of a case of idiot judges. Same thing that happens in MMA almost every week.
    are u stupid .. did someone pour acid on your eyes while u were watching the fight ..

IT WAS A ROBBERY .. A TRAINED judge who is an EXPERT in judging fights better then the vast majority of the people .. got it wrong ? ROBBERYYYYYYYYY .. I mean holy shit did u see that fight .. there is no way in hell u can make a case or justify the win for the loser .. no matter how u look at it .. williams LOST .. don't even bothering justifying his win ... It's a robbery .. the judges were obviously payed off

god damm u constipated or what dude .. go take a dump and watch the fight again with a clear head
    Last edited by jesuseatsnubs; 07-11-11 at 05:34 AM.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

There's about a 5% chance for a rematch and I hope it doesn't happen, would be the same result, just hopefully different decision. Williams will fight Martinez again or will retire.

Fiasco01
    Fiasco01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 962

Tough break for Lara to say the least...and I agree there's no way Williams opts for a rematch here...he knows he'd lose.

Dank_Fire

Quote Originally Posted by capone1899 View Post
    Scored it 116-112 for Lara. Lara and Molina obviously were a lot beeter than people thought
    I think that Kermit Cintron has just really fallen on his face hard. Lara is a much tougher fighter than Molina but this should be a bout that a promoter should be pushing

305GURU
    305GURU's Avatar Become A Pro!

They screwed the cuban out of a win, fuckin judges suck Pwilliams is garbage how did he ever win that many fights

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

amazing to see a golden boy fighter on the short end of the stick..

pwill was exactly what hes always been saturday night.....just a big, long, guy with a real good workrate...a guy with that size and length should be able to control distance...he fights well on the inside but a guy that big and long should be able to fight from the outside and dominate....he doesnt make adjustments during a fight...his trainer is just a guy he came up with and made it to the top level...they dont even bother to learn nuances of the game...they train to condition paul so he can outwork guys...he gives up the advantages he has ....they even said they werent making any adjustments after being kod by sergio....they got outboxed by a southpaw(quintana)....knocked out by sergio...and they put him in the ring with a decorated amatuer who is a southpaw ....either they thought he was ripe after the draw with molina or it was the only opponent hbo would sign off on....

oh well...the ramos ko was nice...and of course rios/antillon was entertaining as hell...actually watched that live and the hbo card on dvr delay....if u know anything about the fight game u knew rios/antillon wasnt going to last very long

bogbat

Quote Originally Posted by jesuseatsnubs View Post
    are u stupid .. did someone pour acid on your eyes while u were watching the fight .. IT WAS A ROBBERY .. A TRAINED judge who is an EXPERT in judging fights better then the vast majority of the people .. got it wrong ? ROBBERYYYYYYYYY .. I mean holy shit did u see that fight .. there is no way in hell u can make a case or justify the win for the loser .. no matter how u look at it .. williams LOST .. don't even bothering justifying his win ... It's a robbery .. the judges were obviously payed off god damm u constipated or what dude .. go take a dump and watch the fight again with a clear head
    Dude, I'm one of the few people on this forum that has been somewhat respectful of you even though the majority of the forum is ripping you to shreds. I realize it was a robbery and I wasn't justifying the decision whatsoever but we do not know if they were paid off or just plain stupid. Many times judges go into these fights with a preconceived notion and the decision becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Moreover, not all of these judges are the experts we would expect them to be. For many of them it is a weekend gig which they landed through connections rather than their understanding of the sport.

Now I don't know who the judges in question were but one would have to research their decision history to know if it is more likely if they were paid off or are just plain bad judges.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Bogbat there's no way you can score that fight for williams. It had to be rigged. Atlantic City knows that they can have a trilogy with pwill/sergio which will sell out for sure.I don't care if you're sitting in heaven it wasn't even debateable. Most people with a brain were hoping the ref would stop the fight in the 9th-10th round as we didn't want to see williams get brain damage.

bogbat

Bogbat there's no way you can score that fight for williams. It had to be rigged. Atlantic City knows that they can have a trilogy with pwill/sergio which will sell out for sure.I don't care if you're sitting in heaven it wasn't even debateable. Most people with a brain were hoping the ref would stop the fight in the 9th-10th round as we didn't want to see williams get brain damage.
    Well to be honest I didn't watch the fight, just stating that sometimes judges make outrageous decisions because they are simply idiots. I have the fight saved on my DVR, I'll watch it soon and possibly feel like retard for my posts in this thread.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

at this point pwills people should be charged with crimes or negligence should they decide to put him in the ring with martinez again

pwill gives up every advantage he has when he fights....he doesnt know how to keep a guy at the end of his jab or right hand....and the guy doesnt even throw punches properly...the guy trains, physically, so he can throw 100 punches per round, but it seems they do little else in the gym.....he was hit, repeatedly, by the same punch martinez hit him with....just none of them were as powerful or as perfect saturday night...no adjustments....

yoyoyo
    yoyoyo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

LOL @ people saying Williams will duck a rematch with Lara. He's trying to get a rematch with Sergio Martinez. You know, the guy who iced him, and left him face down after a brutal KO. Quintana boxed his ears off. Williams gave him a rematch 4 months later.

Lara was robbed in that fight. But don't think for a second that Williams is scared of fighting him again.

Maxmillion

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoyo View Post
    LOL @ people saying Williams will duck a rematch with Lara. He's trying to get a rematch with Sergio Martinez. You know, the guy who iced him, and left him face down after a brutal KO. Quintana boxed his ears off. Williams gave him a rematch 4 months later. Lara was robbed in that fight. But don't think for a second that Williams is scared of fighting him again.
    yeah he is scared to rematch lara, its not worth the risk, at least with martinez he has had some success against him as he did beat him the first time out plus if he is going to get beat why not go for $$ with martinez where he is going to get paid much more than a rematch with Lara.

Maxmillion

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    at this point pwills people should be charged with crimes or negligence should they decide to put him in the ring with martinez again pwill gives up every advantage he has when he fights....he doesnt know how to keep a guy at the end of his jab or right hand....and the guy doesnt even throw punches properly...the guy trains, physically, so he can throw 100 punches per round, but it seems they do little else in the gym.....he was hit, repeatedly, by the same punch martinez hit him with....just none of them were as powerful or as perfect saturday night...no adjustments....
    pwill wont last 5 rounds with martinez, he may train this time to protect against the left but i guarantee he will get hit with one he does not see again and its going to be lights out.

Wiggums5
    The Wiggler
    Wiggums5's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmillion View Post
    yeah he is scared to rematch lara, its not worth the risk, at least with martinez he has had some success against him as he did beat him the first time out plus if he is going to get beat why not go for $$ with martinez where he is going to get paid much more than a rematch with Lara.
    Williams isn't scared to face Lara. Williams has no reason to face Lara again because he did officially win even though he didn't deserve it. He got knocked the f out versus Martinez and with most likely 1 fight left in his career (Williams), why not try to redeem himself vs Martinez.

yoyoyo
    yoyoyo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 402

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmillion View Post
    He had success against Lara, too.

He got beat handily by Quintana, and had no problem giving him a rematch.

Williams may be several things, but "scared" isn't one of them. Wanting to fight Martinez, instead of Lara doesn't make Williams afraid of Lara. It makes him smart.

Brian891
    Brian891's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3624

bogbat why do people think you r saying williams won the fight? i thought u were pretty clear. and even kellerman basically agreed with you after the fight and said the judges were idiots in so many words. they showed the big fights judges had been a part of, and lederman i think said even one of the OTHER fights judge was involved in easily couldve gone the other way. these judges were tards plain and simple. they were swayed by amount of punches paul threw, even tho very few of them landed, and i think lara's knot. because otherwise, any person who watched that, including his trainers, who admitted he lost, saw a convincing lara victory.

Brian891
    Brian891's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3624

the fact that williams had the arrogance to go in with the same gameplan against another southpaw that got him knocked the f out against sergio leads me to believe if he fights sergio again, he will get stomped.

ghost kid
    ghost kid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35576

Goosen and one of the judges being investigated for fixing the bout. Pretty damning photo evidence.
    http://www.8countnews.com/news/125/A...011-07-12.html

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

"New Jersey State Athletic Control Board took the highly unusual action of indefinitely suspending the three judges who worked the 12-round bout"

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...-control-board

Reds_FAN
    Reds_FAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

This is great news for the sport of boxing. The organization has to crack down on cases like these and ensure that fans watching the fights are actually watching fights and not a boring brand of pro wrestling.

I hope if the rumors are true (fixed fight) that these judges 'indefinite suspension" means life so us newbie fight fans can feel confident in the sport.

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

They need to have their licenses revoked, not suspended. Doesn't matter if they were paid off or just incompetent judges. The damage is done. The only way to for the NJ commission to rectify a situation like this is to just wash your hands of them. Let some other state run the risk of giving them another chance.

Reds_FAN
    Reds_FAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

I can agree with that as well. Though I did have the fight a little closer than the HBO analysis had, the winner was Lara no doubt.