Psycho_sighT
    Psycho_sighT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Live blog: Masters now in early play

Tiger Woods aims for his fifth Masters win, Phil Mickelson his fourth and Rory McIlroy his first.All three tee off today and USA TODAY will be live blogging.
    Woods tees off at 10:35 ET, McIlroy at 1:42 and Mickelson has the last tee time of the day at 1:53.
    Everyone hopes the round can get in with weather threatening to spoil the day.
    ESPN begins coverage at 3 p.m. ET
    9:34: Please rush Padraig Harrington to the Butler Cabin. He eagled No. 2 and is at -2. He's the only golfer on the course in red numbers. Hope Harrington is thinking about what goes well with green.
    9:30: Andy North on Mike and Mike about another Sunday meltdown by McIlroy: "I don't think it will be in his mind at all," North said about the 10th hole that destroyed McIlroy last year. "He took it like a man. I think this is long-gone."
    9:20: Analyst Andy North says on Mike and Mike that -13 will win the tournament. The field better get on its giddy-up then. There are currently no players (21 are on the course) in red numbers.
    9:10: First guy in at under par please pick up your green jacket At Butler Cabin. Not only player is in red numbers. Eleven guys are at even. That includes Ben Crenshaw who parred the first two holes.
    9:04: A weather warning courtesy of tweet by Jason Sobel of Golf Channel: Forget Tiger vs. Phil or Tiger vs. Rory. Biggest rivalry may be Tornado vs. Sub-Air System. Could be a situation that both sucks and blows.
    8:50: The Tim Clark train has been stopped. There are now no players under par on the course and seven guys are tied at even. That includes two-time winner Ben Crenshaw who parred the first hole.
    8:43: Nicklaus, Palmer and Player might not be compete on the course but they still compete off it. This from USA TODAY's Gary Mihoces at Augusta: Nicklaus recalled that we he played in his first open as an amateur in 1959 he stayed in the Crow's Nest, the cupola above the clubhouse. He said he and his fellow amateurs were charged $1 for breakfast, $1 for lunch and $2 for dinner. He said he sometimes ate two steaks for dinner and that he wouldn't have objected if they had charge him $4 for two dinner. "Nothing has changed," said Gary Player. "He still has deep pockets and short arms."
    8:40: Good on Robert Garrigus. After triple bogey on No. 1 he comes back and birdies the second hole. He will bend but won't let Augusta break him.
    8:38: Tim Clark continues to lead at -1 after three holes with half of the first 10 golfers over par.
    8:36: USA TODAY's Steve Dimeglio quotes Phil Mickelson on watching Palmer, Nicklaus and Player tee off. "This is just one of the best things to watch. No way I was going to miss this."
    8:33: From Gary Mihoces of USA TODAY at Augusta: Arnold Palmer recalled how Nicklaus and Player, as younger men, used to talk about retiring at age 35. "I said bull (bleep)," said Palmer. " … If I could do it, I'd be doing it right now."
    8:32: Tough start of the 2012 tournament. Nine golfers are on the board. Only one is under par (Tim Clark) while four are over par.
    8:31: Report from USA TODAY's Gary Mihoces at Augusta: Yep, the "Big Three" all hit nice drives. "We could hear them all land though," Nicklaus kidded later during a press conference.
    8:30: While you wait for the top dogs to tee off and the leaderboard to get interesting, here is some good reading about the first time at Augusta courtesy of USA TODAY's Steve Dimeglio.
    8:21: Tim Clark is looking like Tiger from 1997. He is now the leader at -1 after two holes. 1982 winner Craig Stadler is +1 and two-time winner Jose Maria Olazabal is even after one hole.
    8:20: If Robert Garrigus wins the Masters he'll have to overcome a triple-bogey on No.1. Augusta has bitten its first participant of 2012. It won't be the last. Still no birdies.
    8:10: Here is one more pick. This tweet from Dan Jenkins who is covering his 62nd Masters. If you're curious about my rooting interest, it's Rory. Not only is he a great kid, he appears to have the game to become The Man.
    8:03: The field is going to have to catch Tim Clark. He has parred No. 1. He is the first man on the board.
    8:00: The last of the last 10 Masters winners is an interesting list: Schwartzel, Mickelson, Angel Cabrera, Trevor Immelman, Zach Johnson, Mickelson, Woods, Mickelson, Mike Weir, Woods.
    7:59: From USA TODAY's Gary Mihoces at Augusta: With Augusta National Chairman Billy Payne doing the introductions and commentary on the first tee, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Jack Nicklaus all put their ceremonial opening drives in the fairway. "Wow! … Well played," Payne said after the 82-year-old Palmer sent his drive right down the middle about 210 yards, to roars from the crowd. The 76-year-old Player then hit his drive about 250 yards down the middle, on a line with Arnie's. "Beautiful," said Payne. Nicklaus, 72, drove his ball about 230 yards to the left of the fairway. "Wow!" said Payne. The general opinion among the hackers lining the ropes: they'd be happy with any of the three drives, especially if they were over 70.
    7:50: Tweet from USA TODAY's Steve Dimeglio: My Masters picks: 1) Rory 2) Tiger 3) Stricker Longshot) Oosthuizen. Who you got?
    7:45: If TV guys know anything the tournament is over before it has begun. ESPN's Rick Reilly, Curtis Strange and Paul Azinger are all picking Woods.
    7:40: Tweet from Ron Sirak of Golf World: How cool is this! Phil Mickelson, who has last tee time of day, on No. 1 at 7:40 to watch Palmer, Player, Nicklaus hit ceremonial tee shots!
    7:36: We are getting ready for the ceremonial tee shot. Are betting on Jack, Arnie or Gary to air mail their tee shot? You never bet against Nicklaus at Augusta but it is Player who does 1,000 situps a day. As for Arnie, he loves the spotlight.
    7:35: Your finish last year: Schwartzel, Jason Day and Adam Scott tied for second with Luke Donald, Geoff Ogilvy and Tiger Woods tying for fourth
    7:30: Here is a wager I'll be keeping an eye on. ESPN analyst Andy North says he's taking Woods, Mickelson and McIlroy against the field. Scott Van Pelt says he going with the field since they've done well in the past. (Charl Schwartzel is defending champ of course). When Van Pelt asked North for someone out of the field, North gave Hunter Mahan as his first pick. Mahan won last week's Shell Houston Open.
    7:25: From USA TODAY's Gary Mihoces at Augusta: The Weather Channel says there is a 60 percent chance of afternoon showers or thunderstorms today and that a "few storms may be severe." The temperature forecast is for a high of 82.
    7:20: McIlroy said he came in last year hoping to do well and have a chance to win win but this year "I want to win...a little bit more of a business approach you could say."
    7:13: While you are waiting for Arnie, Jack and Gary to hit the first ball at 7:40, you can read how they prepared for their first Masters.
    7:08: USA TODAY golf reporter Gary Mihoces from Augusta: Thousands of fans already line up in the dark outside the gates of Augusta National for opening day at the Masters. Gates were open at 7 a.m. but patrons not allowed on course just yet. When they do get on the course it should be remembered that "for the safety of everyone....running is considered to be unacceptable behavior." Ceremonial opening tee shots by Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player set for 7:40 a.m. One drive only for each of them today, then they'll return to the clubhouse and being legends. The first threesome of competitors teeing off 10 minutes later will be Craig Stadler, Brendan Clark and Tim Clark.
    7:06: Mickelson has won the tournament three times since 2004. So it isn't surprising that he thinks about this tournament often. "The week we look forward to most," he said Wednesday. "It is my favorite week of the year. I just enjoy every minute of it."
    7o: Woods after his Wednesday practice round said it will be "interesting to see how they set up the golf course" when talking about his club selection and the thought of selection when he's between clubs.

DoubleRedDragon
    DoubleRedDragon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 519

Tiger wins. There. I said it.