Trinidad
    Trinidad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 390

Obtaining An Obscure Soccer Stat

Does anyone know how or if it would be possible to find out the average time into a match that the first goal is scored for the different leagues?

i.e, on average, how far into an EPL match is the first goal usually scored?

RickySteve
    SBR is a criminal organization
    RickySteve's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 187

It may be somewhere, but I've never seen it and I've studied a lot of soccer sites. The information should be relatively easy to compile yourself however.

Wheell
    Wheell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1022

Ricky's right, you can gather a ton of data from a variety of soccer sites (and, surprisingly, Wiki). You'll realize very fast that while more goals are scored in the second half and that in each half more goals are scored in each minute than the last (ie, more goals in the 38th minute than the 9th). There are a few more things to pay attention to, but you'll figure it out.

adriano
    all-in
    adriano's Avatar Become A Pro!

At the bottom there is the goal time distribution by team.

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG...hesterUtd.html

69882000's Avatar Become A Pro!

Soccerway is pretty decent.

Data
    Data's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Trinidad View Post
    Does anyone know how or if it would be possible to find out the average time into a match that the first goal is scored for the different leagues?

i.e, on average, how far into an EPL match is the first goal usually scored?
    A good approximation would be (90+t)/A, where t is the average injury time and A is the league's goal average. Likely, you are actually looking for the median, not the mean. The median is 0.693*(90+t)/A.

Data

Quote Originally Posted by Wheell View Post
    You'll realize very fast that while more goals are scored in the second half and that in each half more goals are scored in each minute than the last (ie, more goals in the 38th minute than the 9th).
    This may give a wrong idea of causation. The goal rate is slowly decreasing over time with each goal causing a shift up in the rate curve.
    Last edited by Data; 06-17-08 at 11:10 AM.

Wheell

Data: I'm sorry, but I think we have a failure to communicate.

There are a couple of things you might be saying:

1. Goals beget goals. IE, if there were 4 goals in the first 80 minutes that predicts higher scoring relative3 to the O/U for the game than a nil-nil game with identical inputs in the 80th minute.

2. You are talking about the likelihood of the FIRST goal being scored in any particular minute.

Now, if you are saying the latter I can't really argue. If you are saying the former I'll meet you halfway. Yes, goals do slightly predict goals, but as for the 80th minute being lower scoring than the 50th minute (again, with other inputs held constant), that is just wrong. I've gone over thousands of games and the data seems VERY clear on this (no pun intended).

turnip
    turnip's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2110

Based on my data for EPL 07-08 (may not be 100% accurate, but is more than 99% accurate):

-26 of the 380 games were scoreless.

-Of the remaining 354, the median time of the first score was the 27th minute.

Here is the histogram: (It should read "31-45" instead of "30-45")

Data

Quote Originally Posted by Wheell View Post
    2. You are talking about the likelihood of the FIRST goal being scored in any particular minute.
    Yes, sir. I agree with you that in general the goal rate increases over time.

Wheell

Data: Ah, good, I didn't want to have each of us pull out their databases to see which one was bigger.

vanman
    vanman's Avatar Become A Pro!

try optasportsdata.com

Justin7
    Justin7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1506

I read a study on time of first score (I was looking at World Cup scoring props), but I don't remember the cite.

There were two things to consider though...
    First, about 60% of all goals are scored in the second half.
    Second, the scoring distribution is NOT a nice Poisson - the odds of a goal per minute go up after the first goal.