hotcross
    hotcross's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7208

Carolina Hurricanes forward prospect Mattheos status

Stelio Mattheos, a forward prospect for the Carolina Hurricanes
    , is completing treatments for testicular cancer and will not participate in training camp next month.

The 20-year-old is expected to return to full health and resume training for the 2019-20 season when his treatments are complete and he receives clearance. He was diagnosed in June, two days after helping Charlotte of the American Hockey League win the Calder Cup, had surgery to remove one testicle and has completed multiple courses of chemotherapy over the past two months.

Chosen in the third round (No. 73) of the 2017 NHL Draft, Mattheos had 96 points (44 goals, 52 assists) in 65 games with Brandon of the Western Hockey League last season before joining Charlotte. He had three points (two goals, one assist) in 11 regular-season games and four points (three goals, one assist) in 14 playoff games with Charlotte.

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33110

Quote Originally Posted by hotcross View Post

Stelio Mattheos, a forward prospect for the Carolina Hurricanes
    , is completing treatments for testicular cancer and will not participate in training camp next month.

The 20-year-old is expected to return to full health and resume training for the 2019-20 season when his treatments are complete and he receives clearance. He was diagnosed in June, two days after helping Charlotte of the American Hockey League win the Calder Cup, had surgery to remove one testicle and has completed multiple courses of chemotherapy over the past two months.

Chosen in the third round (No. 73) of the 2017 NHL Draft, Mattheos had 96 points (44 goals, 52 assists) in 65 games with Brandon of the Western Hockey League last season before joining Charlotte. He had three points (two goals, one assist) in 11 regular-season games and four points (three goals, one assist) in 14 playoff games with Charlotte.
    Fuc# CANCER

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Hope Mattheos can be one of those good comeback stories from cancer. We've had a bunch of those in sports.

hotcross

Goalie Cam Ward retires

Cam Ward retired from the NHL on Wednesday.

The 35-year-old goalie, who played his first 13 NHL seasons with the Hurricanes, was an unrestricted free agent after going 16-12-4 with a 3.67 goals-against average and .897 save percentage in 33 games (29 starts) for the Chicago Blackhawks last season.

As a rookie in 2005-06, Ward helped lead the Hurricanes to their only Stanley Cup championship, when they defeated the Edmonton Oilers in seven games in the Final, and won the Conn Smythe Trophy as MVP of the Stanley Cup Playoffs after going 15-8 with a 2.14 GAA, .920 save percentage and two shutouts.

mr. leisure

Cam Ward retired from the NHL on Wednesday.

The 35-year-old goalie, who played his first 13 NHL seasons with the Hurricanes, was an unrestricted free agent after going 16-12-4 with a 3.67 goals-against average and .897 save percentage in 33 games (29 starts) for the Chicago Blackhawks last season.

As a rookie in 2005-06, Ward helped lead the Hurricanes to their only Stanley Cup championship, when they defeated the Edmonton Oilers in seven games in the Final, and won the Conn Smythe Trophy as MVP of the Stanley Cup Playoffs after going 15-8 with a 2.14 GAA, .920 save percentage and two shutouts.
    Very solid career .

yisman

Ward disappointing end to career

very poor season

hotcross

Philadelphia Flyers news

Tyler Pitlick will not be available for the start of Philadelphia Flyers training camp after having surgery last week to repair a tear in his left wrist.

The 27-year-old Forward was injured during offseason training. He will begin rehab Sept. 2 and is expected to be out approximately four weeks, the Flyers said.

Pitlick was acquired in a trade from the Dallas Stars for forward Ryan Hartman on June 24.

Chosen by the Edmonton Oilers in the second round (No. 31) of the 2010 NHL Draft, Pitlick has 53 points (33 goals, 20 assists) in 185 games with the Oilers and Stars. A wrist injury limited him to 47 games last season. He has one season remaining on a three-year, $3 million contract and can become an unrestricted free agent July 1, 2020.

yisman

I don't remember seeing Pitlick play much.

hotcross

Collective Bargaining Agreement status

The NHL will not exercise its right to reopen the Collective Bargaining Agreement next year, the League announced Friday.

The current CBA, a 10-year agreement that was ratified in January 2013, expires Sept. 15, 2022. But the NHL and the NHL Players' Association each have the option to file in September 2019 to reopen the CBA. That would trigger the expiration of the CBA on Sept. 15, 2020, if the sides do not agree to an extension before then.

The NHL had until Sept. 1 to provide written notice that it is opting out of the final two years of the CBA. Now that the League has declined its option, the NHLPA has until Sept. 15 to file for early termination of the agreement.

"Based on the current state of the game and the business of the game, the NHL believes it is essential to continue building upon the momentum we have created with our Players and, therefore, will not exercise its option to reopen the CBA," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement. "Rather, we are prepared to have the current CBA remain in effect for its full term -- three more seasons through the conclusion of the 2021-22 season. It is our hope that a continued, sustained period of labor peace will enable us to further grow the game and benefit all constituent groups: NHL Players, Clubs, our business partners and, most important, our fans.”

Even if the NHLPA files by Sept. 15 to reopen the CBA, the sides would have a year before it expires to negotiate some kind of agreement, whether it be a new CBA or pushing back the expiration date of the current CBA.

hotcross

Justin Williams steps away from hockey, has not announced retirement

Justin Williams announced on Monday that he will be taking some time away from the NHL.

The forward, who turns 38 on Oct. 4 and became an unrestricted free agent July 1, was captain of the Carolina Hurricanes last season. Speaking to NHL.com in June, Williams did not rule out playing for someone other than the Hurricanes if he returned this season, but also said he had built a house and did not want to move his family again.

Selected by the Philadelphia Flyers in the first round (No. 28) of the 2000 NHL Draft, Williams has 786 points (312 goals, 474 assists) in 1,244 games with the Flyers, Hurricanes, Los Angeles Kings and Washington Capitals. He has 101 points (40 goals, 61 assists) in 155 NHL playoff games, winning the Stanley Cup with the Hurricanes in 2006 and the Kings in 2012 and 2014.

"We appreciate Justin's honesty and openness throughout this process and respect his decision," Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said. "He's been an important part of our team, but we did prepare our roster with the understanding that he might step away. We are confident in the group we've assembled."

hotcross

NY Rangers defenseman prospect Adam Fox

Adam Fox
    is a 21-year-old defenseman who will begin his quest to make the New York Rangers' opening night roster, starting at the 2019 NHL Prospect Tournament at Centre Ice Arena in Traverse City, Michigan, which gets underway Sept.6 along with New York rookie forwards Kaapo Kakko, the No. 2 pick in the 2019 NHL Draft, and Vitali Kravtsov, the No. 9 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft.

A smooth-skating, offensively skilled defenseman, Adam Fox was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award, given annually to the top men's player in NCAA Division I hockey, as a junior last season after leading the NCAA with 39 assists and tying for fourth in points with 48.

He made the decision to leave Harvard and turn pro after the Carolina Hurricanes traded him to the Rangers. Now, it's up to Fox to earn a job with New York in training camp.

Fox's size (5-foot-11, 180 pounds) will be a challenge for him in the NHL, and he has concentrated on getting stronger to prepare for that.

A right-handed shot, Fox can see an open spot on the depth chart behind Jacob Trouba after the Rangers bought out the final two seasons of Kevin Shattenkirk's contract Aug. 1, particularly with restricted free agent Tony DeAngelo remaining unsigned.

Fox was selected by the Calgary Flames in the third round (No. 66) of the 2016 NHL Draft. The Hurricanes acquired Fox in a trade June 23, 2018, and after being unable to sign him, granted his wish by trading him to the Rangers, his favorite team when he was growing up.

A psychology major at Harvard, Fox said he plans to complete the five classes he needs to graduate over the next few offseasons.

xraygord
    xraygord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

Rangers are building a team but they will need to replace Lundqvist.

yisman

yeah I saw the Williams thing the other day. Very surprising.

hotcross

Kronwall retires from NHL, remains with Red Wings as adviser to GM

defenseman Niklas Kronwall announced his retirement from the NHL on Sept.3

The 38-year-old defenseman played 15-seasons for Detroit, helping them win the Stanley Cup in 2008.

Kronwall will remain with the Red Wings as an adviser to general manager Steve Yzerman, who was hired to replace Ken Holland on April 19.

"When one chapter ends, another one starts," Kronwall said. "I'm very excited for my new role within the Detroit Red Wings organization."

A first-round pick (No. 29) in the 2000 NHL Draft, Kronwall made his Red Wings debut during the 2003-04 season.

mr. leisure

defenseman Niklas Kronwall announced his retirement from the NHL on Sept.3

The 38-year-old defenseman played 15-seasons for Detroit, helping them win the Stanley Cup in 2008.

Kronwall will remain with the Red Wings as an adviser to general manager Steve Yzerman, who was hired to replace Ken Holland on April 19.

"When one chapter ends, another one starts," Kronwall said. "I'm very excited for my new role within the Detroit Red Wings organization."

A first-round pick (No. 29) in the 2000 NHL Draft, Kronwall made his Red Wings debut during the 2003-04 season.
    Another guy with a very solid career.

yisman

Kronwall is one that hung on a few years too long. Looked like he had nothing left last year and Detroit is rebuilding. Should've retired 2 years ago.

hotcross

Vegas Golden Knights sign defenseman prospect Jimmy Schuldt

Jimmy Schuldt signed a one-year, $850,000 contract with the Vegas Golden Knights on Sept.5

The 24-year-old defenseman played one game with Vegas last season, after signing his first contract with the Golden Knights as a free agent April 3, he made his NHL debut three days later and had an assist in a 5-2 loss to the Los Angeles Kings. He did not play in the Stanley Cup Playoffs when Vegas was eliminated in the first round by the San Jose Sharks in seven games.

Vegas opens training camp Sept. 13. "It's the first time [at training camp] for me. I'm more excited to take in this experience."

Schuldt had 118 points (38 goals, 80 assists) in 156 games in three seasons as captain for St. Cloud State University. He was twice named a Hobey Baker Award finalist, given to the top NCAA men's hockey player, in each of the past two seasons, and last season was named National Collegiate Hockey Conference player of the year, when he had 35 points (10 goals, 25 assists) in 39 games.

"He's a mature kid," Golden Knights general manager Kelly McCrimmon said. "He's a little bit older coming out of college. He's got tremendous poise. A really accomplished player at the college level. We have real high hopes for Jimmy right now."

hotcross

Carolina Hurricanes sign Jake Gardiner

Jake Gardiner signed a four-year, $16.2 million contract with the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday. It has an average annual value of $4.05 million.

The 29-year-old defenseman became an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Gardiner said one reason he was drawn to the Hurricanes was their talent at defenseman.

"The blue line is probably ... it's got to be one of the best in the League already and I think I can help a little bit and hopefully help the power play out if that's where they see me," he said. "They have a really good right side (Justin Faulk, Dougie Hamilton, Brett Pesce, Trevor van Riemsdyk) and I think I'll be able to help out the left side (Jaccob Slavin, Gustav Forsling, Haydn Fleury) a bit and help this team win."

The Hurricanes were 20th in the NHL last season on the power play (17.8 percent) and were 14th among 16 teams during the Stanley Cup Playoffs (9.6 percent). Gardiner has 73 power-play points in the NHL, including more than 10 in four of the past six seasons.

"We definitely talked about it. If that's where they see me, then great," Gardiner said. "But I guess we'll have to see when the season starts. I like playing on the power play and I think I can definitely help it out."

Selected by the Anaheim Ducks in the first round (No. 17) of the 2008 NHL Draft, Gardiner has 245 points (45 goals, 200 assists) in 551 NHL games, all with the Maple Leafs. He has 12 points (two goals, 10 assists) in 26 playoff games.

"Jake is a solid, veteran blueliner with a proven history of contributing offensively, including on the power play," Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said. "He's had options this summer, but ultimately decided that Carolina is his best fit, and we're thrilled to have him here."

xraygord
    xraygord's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 322

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    Kronwall is one that hung on a few years too long. Looked like he had nothing left last year and Detroit is rebuilding. Should've retired 2 years ago.
    I have to agree with you here. Done long ago.

mr. leisure

Jake Gardiner signed a four-year, $16.2 million contract with the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday. It has an average annual value of $4.05 million.

The 29-year-old defenseman became an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Gardiner said one reason he was drawn to the Hurricanes was their talent at defenseman.

"The blue line is probably ... it's got to be one of the best in the League already and I think I can help a little bit and hopefully help the power play out if that's where they see me," he said. "They have a really good right side (Justin Faulk, Dougie Hamilton, Brett Pesce, Trevor van Riemsdyk) and I think I'll be able to help out the left side (Jaccob Slavin, Gustav Forsling, Haydn Fleury) a bit and help this team win."

The Hurricanes were 20th in the NHL last season on the power play (17.8 percent) and were 14th among 16 teams during the Stanley Cup Playoffs (9.6 percent). Gardiner has 73 power-play points in the NHL, including more than 10 in four of the past six seasons.

"We definitely talked about it. If that's where they see me, then great," Gardiner said. "But I guess we'll have to see when the season starts. I like playing on the power play and I think I can definitely help it out."

Selected by the Anaheim Ducks in the first round (No. 17) of the 2008 NHL Draft, Gardiner has 245 points (45 goals, 200 assists) in 551 NHL games, all with the Maple Leafs. He has 12 points (two goals, 10 assists) in 26 playoff games.

"Jake is a solid, veteran blueliner with a proven history of contributing offensively, including on the power play," Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said. "He's had options this summer, but ultimately decided that Carolina is his best fit, and we're thrilled to have him here."
    Good player

yisman

850k pretty good haul for Schuldt.

yisman

I watched SNF on NBC and they were advertising upcoming NHL games!

hotcross

New Jersey re-signs centerman Pavel Zacha

Pavel Zacha signed a three-year, $6.75 million contract with the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday. It has an average annual value of $2.25 million.

Zacha will receive $1.75 million this season, $2 million next season and $3 million in 2021-22.

The 22-year-old center, who was a restricted free agent, set an NHL career-high with 13 goals and tied his high with 25 points in 61 games with the Devils last season.

Selected by New Jersey with the No. 6 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft, Zacha has 76 points (29 goals, 47 assists) in 201 regular-season games and no points in five Stanley Cup Playoff games.

hotcross

Minnesota Wild re-sign forward Kevin Fiala

Kevin Fiala signed a two-year, $6 million contract with the Minnesota Wild on Wednesday. It has an average annual value of $3 million.

The 23-year-old forward was a restricted free agent. He had 39 points (13 goals, 26 assists) in 83 games with the Wild and Nashville Predators last season, including seven points (three goals, four assists) in 19 games after he was traded to Minnesota for forward Mikael Granlund on Feb. 25.

Selected by Nashville in the first round (No. 11) of the 2014 NHL Draft, Fiala has 104 points (48 goals, 56 assists) in 223 regular-season games with the Wild and Predators, and six points (five goals, one assist) in 18 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

yisman

The Boston Bruins signed coach Bruce Cassidy to a multiyear contract extension Wednesday

hotcross

Winnepeg Jets sign extension for defenseman Josh Morrissey

8-Year deal for 24-year-old defenseman starts in 2020-21, worth $6.25 million per season

Morrissey had an NHL career-high 31 points (six goals, 25 assists) in 59 regular-season games last season and one assist in six Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Selected by the Jets with the No. 13 pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, he has 77 points (19 goals, 58 assists) in 223 regular-season games and three points (one goal, two assists) in 22 playoff games.

Winnipeg still has two restricted free agents, forwards Patrik Laine and Kyle Connor, who won’t be at the start of training camp to begin on-ice workouts Friday.

They lost 3 defensemen during the offseason:
    Jacob Trouba (traded to New York Rangers)
    Ben Chiarot (free agent signed with Montreal Canadiens)
    Tyler Myers (free agent signed with Vancouver Canucks)

mr. leisure

I watched SNF on NBC and they were advertising upcoming NHL games!
    Lets goooo , more than ready .

hotcross

San Jose Sharks name team captain Logan Couture

The 30-year-old forward is the 10th captain in Sharks history.
    Couture is entering his 11th season with the Sharks
    and the first year of an eight-year contract extension he signed July 1, 2018.

He replaces the previous team captain, Joe Pavelski, who signed a three-year contract with the Dallas Stars as an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Couture had a career-high 70 points (27 goals, 43 assists) last season and the Stanley Cup Playoffs with 14 goals. He was selected by the Sharks with the No. 9 pick in the 2007 NHL Draft and has 507 points (240 goals, 267 assists) in 663 NHL games, and 101 points (48 goals, 53 assists) in 116 playoff games.

Alternate captains:
    Defensemen Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson,
    and forwards Tomas Hertl and Joe Thornton.

Thornton, who will play his 22nd NHL season after agreeing to a one-year contract Sept. 6,
    was Sharks captain from 2010-14.

yisman

Sportsnet says restricted free-agent forward Mitch Marner has agreed to a six-year contract to remain with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

yisman

Kuznetsov suspended 3 games"inappropriate conduct"I guess in reference to cocaine.

mr. leisure

Kesler, Eaves out for season for Ducks

Center had hip surgery, forward dealing with illness

hotcross

There is a preseason game going right now (Sunday)

Arizona vs Vegas

2-2 end 1st period

yisman

yeah I saw it on the schedule and was surprised. Didn't know they were starting already

mr. leisure

yeah I saw it on the schedule and was surprised. Didn't know they were starting already
    Never too soon .

hotcross

Vegas won that first preseason game Sunday

Bunch of games on tonight's schedule

First 12345 ... Last