do5000
    do5000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 681

Betonline freeplay offer mailed to me, then denied when i called

got a letter in the mail from BetOnline. new management, better service... the usual. a few offers of a free bottle of champagne.
    it said in black and white "i've got a $100.00 freeplay waiting for you, no hooks".
    i went on livechat to ask about it. they said i wasnt on the mailing list, so no freeplay (although they did offer some other options, all of which required a deposit of $1000).
    i told them the letter was mailed to me, and they asked more questions about the letter. i explained in further detail and they confirmed the letter was legit, but i was "not on the mailing list", so thats it.
    CS was very polite, but im surprised to see betonline using these tactics.
    if they think they will get people to reload their account with tricks like this, they are very wrong. thats bait and switch if ive ever seen it.

anybody else have the same experience?

do5000

update: coincidentally or not, i was called by BO about an hour after posting this and i was told there was a mistake and I was entitled to the freeplay. it was immediately deposited into my account.

bigugly
    bigugly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 298

Maybe they just wanted to see if they could get you to deposit first.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

The 'no hooks' freeplay requires a $100 deposit to cash it out.......... so I'd say that is a significant hook.

djefferis
    djefferis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 431

Books giving out a free shot with $100 free play are going to be careful. They know anyone and everyone can read about this promo on a forum and claim to have received it.

Very possible the person you spoke with simply could not find your name on the list initially, for whatever reason and said no.

Point is they made it right and did so within an hour. Good to hear they stepped up here.

As far as the deposit to cash out, there is no hook requiring you to deposit to receive the bonus. You receive it, play and only if you win do you need to deposit to cash out..if you play and lose, you are out nothing. Is it a free $100 to do what you want with, no..but in my book still a pretty sweet deal for the average bettor.

do5000

Quote Originally Posted by djefferis View Post
    Books giving out a free shot with $100 free play are going to be careful. They know anyone and everyone can read about this promo on a forum and claim to have received it.

Very possible the person you spoke with simply could not find your name on the list initially, for whatever reason and said no.

Point is they made it right and did so within an hour. Good to hear they stepped up here.

As far as the deposit to cash out, there is no hook requiring you to deposit to receive the bonus. You receive it, play and only if you win do you need to deposit to cash out..if you play and lose, you are out nothing. Is it a free $100 to do what you want with, no..but in my book still a pretty sweet deal for the average bettor.
    i agree it can be abused, but thats something they need to consider beforehand.

its certainly possible my name couldnt be found on the list. but this is the gambling industry, so i think its probable thats not the whole story.
    especially since after posting this, my name was found to be on the list that had "already been checked twice"

sq764
    sq764's Avatar Become A Pro!

wow a $100 no hook bonus requiring a deposit... that is quite ironic

ehp6737
    ehp6737's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

Same thing happened to me today. Called to request $100 freeplay from the mailer I got. Said I wasnt on the mailing list, then within 2 seconds he was asking me to deposit $1000 to get a great bonus. Total bait and switch.

do5000

Quote Originally Posted by ehp6737 View Post
    Same thing happened to me today. Called to request $100 freeplay from the mailer I got. Said I wasnt on the mailing list, then within 2 seconds he was asking me to deposit $1000 to get a great bonus. Total bait and switch.
    thats too bad. i still had a glimmer of hope that it was a legitimate accident.
    i'd go back and tell them SBR had complaints about this and you'd like them to check again.

djefferis
    djefferis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 431

I have no doubt their sales staff is pushing you into depositing. Roles reversed wouldn't you push for a deposit?

Good book, nice offer. They could have just kept their hundred, but they at least honored it.

Not defending them totally here, its a shady biz on both sides. They did the right thing at least, more than many books.

do5000

Quote Originally Posted by djefferis View Post
    I have no doubt their sales staff is pushing you into depositing. Roles reversed wouldn't you push for a deposit?

Good book, nice offer. They could have just kept their hundred, but they at least honored it.

Not defending them totally here, its a shady biz on both sides. They did the right thing at least, more than many books.
    lol, do you work for betonline?
    if not, they should hire you.