Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20483

The topic heading is an oxymoron.

Simply no such thing any more

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Had a guy in my shop wanted a 100 on at 4/1 , we gave him the bet and it lost , nxt time he came in he wanted a Simular bet and my race room said he can have 10£ at 4/1 t makes no sense

People who know me on here know who I work for so don't wanna broadcast it but we're not bookies no more

I know punters are more clued up these days with much more info around but come on bookies lay a bloody bet

Martinr
    Martinr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21

What Hareeba said.
    The only hope for the regular British horse punter is a return to a strong Tote, but we know that'll never happen.
    That Final Furlong podcast pretty much covered the problems in getting a decent bet on.
    Bookies would probably prefer not to take bets at all on sports/racing, if they could just get those pesky governments to allow more FOBT's.
    The BHA is a big part of the problem imo. Punters aren't given enough respect as far as how much they contribute to the racing industry, and in a lot of ways punters are basically a nuisance to the Sport Of Kings.

HeeeHAWWWW
    HeeeHAWWWW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by shaunovery View Post
    Had a guy in my shop wanted a 100 on at 4/1 , we gave him the bet and it lost , nxt time he came in he wanted a Simular bet and my race room said he can have 10£ at 4/1 t makes no sense
    Guessing it steamed hard afterwards? The actual result doesn't really matter.

More generally, British books have been useless for a decade or more. Nice to see them getting a bit of public embarrassment, even if it won't make any difference.

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Quote Originally Posted by HeeeHAWWWW View Post
    Guessing it steamed hard afterwards? The actual result doesn't really matter.

More generally, British books have been useless for a decade or more. Nice to see them getting a bit of public embarrassment, even if it won't make any difference.
    Yeah it did, head office tells we won't beat the customer long term if they beat the price

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9225

Quote Originally Posted by shaunovery View Post

Yeah it did, head office tells we won't beat the customer long term if they beat the price
    It shows the system is broken when supposedly well regulated books openly think and act this way.

Kind of pleased to see the infection of UK ownership over Aussie books has not automatically turned them into exactly the same thing, and they are actually getting some push back against this situation from their Aussie involvement.