bupf1
    bupf1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Book error - winning bet canceled - what should I do?

I play on credit through a local agent who uses a small no-name online offshore book/website to accept bets. The book/website is kind of second-rate and often leaves plays posted and available to bet for a few seconds or even a few minutes after the game has begun. For example, often a second half line will stay posted a minute or two into the third quarter.

I have made dozens, if not hundreds, of in-game or quarter/half plays over the years in which I technically didn't get my action in until after play had begun/resumed. I've won in many of these situations and lost in many of these situations. Never (until yesterday) has the book canceled the bet. I understand that a situation like this gives the player a slight edge. I also have a hard time imagining the book isn't aware of the issue, given how chronic it is, and chooses to let action stand anyway because it wants the action.

My history with this particular agent/book is long and consistent. I'm a losing player over the years, probably around $15K. I always pay on time and have had zero issues. My average play is a nickel per game, but sometimes even larger. Recently, I've had tens of thousands in play each week. I am fairly certain I am one of my agent's biggest players, if not the very biggest.

I have other options for local agents and could easily walk away from this book. This book has inflated juice (relative to an offshore book like 5Dimes). I basically only use it because of my good relationship with my agent and for the convenience of a local book that takes action on credit.

Here is the situation:

I pegged a recent playoff game as the play of the year, and unfortunately was on the wrong side of it. I chased throughout the game, losing 4 figures on the first quarter, second quarter, and third quarter. I was out to dinner for the second half and not in front of a television. I checked the score of the game at the quarter and made one final play on the fourth quarter. It took me a bit longer than usual to place the action because I was using a phone and cell service was poor within the restaurant. With the various plays I made on the fourth quarter (some of which were parlays), which were accepted, I would have won around $3K, roughly the amount I had lost on the previous three quarters. (Admittedly, I was chasing.)

The book claims that the action was not accepted until after 2 to 3 minutes had expired in the fourth quarter and, thus, the book voided the fourth quarter bets minutes before the game ended, but after it became clear all of my plays were winners. Not being in front of television, I do not know if the book's claims are accurate, but I think it's reasonable to believe that I technically got the bets in late (which, as I've said before, is something that frequently happens with this particular website/book). I am far from convinced the bets were accepted as late as the book claims.

As of this moment, I am prepared to walk away from the agent/book unless I am made whole or some other gesture, such as a bonus, is offered to me - either by the local agent or the book. If this were a bigger book, like 5Dimes, I realize I would have no recourse. However, given my long-term relationship with my local agent and the history of how this book accepts bets after the bell, I feel this is a different situation.

What should I do? What do you think is fair?

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20531

What should you do?

Give up being a chaser for a start.

relaaxx
    relaaxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14050

bet was placed past post. it should be voided. what happened in the past makes you just lucky to be able to play past post without them being cancelled also. consider this. you complain to the book they go back check all live bets and void all bets or worse only all winning bets made past post. not that hard to figure out. maybe your agent is nuts enough to pay off for a past post bet. now you don't know about your future past post bets if available to you. will you be trying it again in the hope they pay again for past post bets. you really have no defense for this-you played a past post bet on purpose and have been doing it for a while. whatever happens - that's the chance you must of known you were taking. i think i would just forget it.what's fair is you stop playing past post bets. wasn't fair in the first place and it's to late to be fair about that. --good luck hope things don't get any worse than just not getting paid for 1 past post bet after hitting them many times in the past that you should have not been paid.

bupf1

I respect your opinion. However, I don't really think you address my major point, which is: the book knows they accept past post bets, they willfully do it all the time, and - in this instance - they have selectively enforced a policy they never enforce. How is that fair?

Again, if this were 5Dimes or a book that actually enforced policies like this consistently, I would 100% not make this an issue.

A few points to your assertion that they could go back and review all of my live action. One, that would necessitate the review of thousands of plays and would take them weeks. Two, assuming they canceled losing bets made past post as well as the winning bets, I'd probably be due thousands of dollars. Three, it's a credit book, and I simply wouldn't pay them a nickel if they tried to do shit like that and, if they mess with me, could easily get a half-dozen other players, most of whom are losing players, to cancel.

From a practical perspective, why wouldn't a bookie want to make a losing player who will walk happy?

relaaxx
    relaaxx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14050

past post is past post. you should not be paid. should not have ever been able to place past post bets, that's why when found they are voided every where else. winners are - not always sure about losing past post bets all the time. good luck in whatever you decide to do. but you are starting from a disadvantage to any argument because the bet was placed past post. i don't see that it matters it happened many times before so this time should be ok.

bupf1

Well, if they take your position, looks like I'll take my action elsewhere. Pretty much the only reason I played through this book, which has absolutely awful juice and technical support, was for the good relationship I have with the local agent and convenience. If he or the book don't take care of me in this instance, I'll just go back to playing through 5Dimes and other local books. Their loss.

Would be a pretty stupid business decision, in my opinion, to take the context-free hard line you're suggesting is appropriate.
    Last edited by bupf1; 05-10-14 at 05:07 PM.