zip
    zip's Avatar Become A Pro!

Betfair automation?

Hi there,

i'm having a little look at BetFair automation, but i live a million km away. so i was wondering:

do betfair run their own bots for hoovering up stale offers?
    is the distance factor going to mean that i miss out on any stale lines, i assume (maybe wrongly, i mean there may not even be oppertunities) lots of people would be trying to take the same bets?

basically, do u guys think that a automated, non-handicapping strategy might be worth looking at with betfair for me or should i just stick to getting banned with shitty Euro books

sorry if this is dumb, common knowlege stuff. really appreciate any feedback.

thanks

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by zip View Post
    Hi there,

i'm having a little look at BetFair automation, but i live a million km away. so i was wondering:

do betfair run their own bots for hoovering up stale offers?
    is the distance factor going to mean that i miss out on any stale lines, i assume (maybe wrongly, i mean there may not even be oppertunities) lots of people would be trying to take the same bets?

basically, do u guys think that a automated, non-handicapping strategy might be worth looking at with betfair for me or should i just stick to getting banned with shitty Euro books

sorry if this is dumb, common knowlege stuff. really appreciate any feedback.

thanks
    The distance should not be a significant issue. You may have a small disadvantage due to high ping rate but the way the API handles data refresh requests means that should not be a major issue.

Betfair do run various bots for the purposes of cross-matching but there is nothing to suggest they 'hoover' anything other than a few accusations that BF are able to circumvent the in-play delays imposed on players.

There are hundreds of traders on Betfair who use automated systems with the intention of 'greening up', so it is certainly practical, albeit the bigger and highly liquid markets may be a bit 'crowded'.
    Last edited by FourLengthsClear; 01-09-12 at 02:29 AM.

zip

Thanks for your response FourLenghtsClear, I read that you have more than a just a bit (LOL) of experiance in this field.

i'm guessing that betfair is no longer (not sure that it ever was) a place where line moves originated but to follow u need to be super fast.

i have so much to learn; most of the time i just let my bets ride with traditional bookies but i suppose with the spreads being so small on betfair, it might be better to "green up" depending on liquidity. i use the basics of kelly but i suspect with changing odds (as opposed to limits) i will need to go quite a lot deeper.

once again thanks for your response.

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Which sports are you main interests, zip?

zip

a lot of north american sports but i really don't model anything except simple props. anything that, with a few simple filters, i can get a read off pinny. a few alt markets...

but i'm not too fussy, i'll take major soccer when its available. also i try to have a good go at short tourniments but basicly nothing too complicated.

never even looked at racing tho and i am unable to electronically bet live at betfair, however i'm fairly sure that i can get around that 1

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20531

Quote Originally Posted by zip View Post

never even looked at racing tho and i am unable to electronically bet live at betfair, however i'm fairly sure that i can get around that 1
    why unable to bet live?
    you in Australia?
    betting live on line is banned for sports but you can bet in the run on the horses at Betfair

be very careful attempting to get around their bans
    I've heard of some punters being caught out and their accounts closed

zip

Hi Hareeba!

betting live on line is banned for sports but you can bet in the run on the horses at Betfair
    cheers, i didn't know about that. are you active on betfair, or trade sport or the ponies?