England League1 Barnsley - Shrewsbury Town

I gave a big mention to Barnsley in my League 1 outright notes (see below) and I suggest that quickly reading those is a good place to start this preview. The hosts made a good start to League 1 and pushed Everton all the way in the Capital One Cup recently, losing in extra time, ahead of that my notes included..........."I feel the Tykes are still trying to integrate a lot of new signings into the squad and to get them to play a certain way and are therefore, still very much a team in transition, one who will improve through the season" . They impressed a lot of people with their performance that day and boss Lee johnson has clearly got them to gel quickly. After such a draining and high profile (televised) fixture against top flight opposition, it was perhaps no surprise that they had little left for their league game a couple of days later, but the got back on track in the JPT this midweek and might be facing Town at the perfect time. The visitors have been big sellers in the window and lost the crown jewels in terms of four hugely promising young players in Conor Goldson ( Brighton), Josh Ginnelly (Burnley), Harry Lewis (Southampton) and Ryan Woods (Brentford), fees were undisclosed, but I know the Bees paid close to £1m and Town have banked circa £2m, but this will not be spent on new signings, but on securing the long term future of the club and players coming in will be young and pretty much bargain basement. These are big losses, Woods was their driving force in midfield and they have lost 6 of 11 starts he has missed in the last two campaigns and remember, that includes a promotion season.

Despite not yet getting the John Stones funds ( see below) and they will come sooner or later in any case, the Tykes signed two proven lower league strikers in Michael Smith (15 L1 goals for Swindon Town last season) and Simeon Jackson (50 in three seasons at up to Championship level) and look to be firmly targeting promotion. Town need to regroup and I don't feel a trip to Oakwell is the best place to start and that odds for the home side are very generous today.

Barnsley -0.25 ball 2.21 asian line/ Sportmarket .