Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1228

Bronx Man Sue's Theme Park Over Unlimited Soda Refills 🥤

Bronx man sues NBC Universal over ‘unlimited’ soda refills at theme park

By Emily Saul and Natalie O'Neill
    October 17, 2019

He’s thirsty for justice.

A Bronx man is suing NBC Universal after he paid for an “unlimited refill” soda machine deal at one of the company’s theme parks — only to discover he had to wait a whole 10 minutes between each pour.

Luis Arnaud is bubbling with anger over the “false advertising” — saying he learned while trying to “quench his thirst” that the refills were in fact “limited” to a measly “total of only six per hour,” according to the class-action lawsuit filed in Manhattan federal court Thursday.

Arnaud says he visited Universal’s Island of Adventure in Orlando, Fla., on July 30 and bought a 16-ounce “Coca-Cola Freestyle” cup — which purported to come with “unlimited” refills all day — for $16.99.

The next day, he reactivated the cup at Universal’s sister theme park Volcano Bay for $8.99, the suit says.

The cups come with a computer chip to show you’ve paid for the bottomless deal — but Arnaud learned they were also tracking how often users top up, and are “programmed” to limit refills to every 10 minutes.

When he tried to “quench his thirst and refill his cup again” before that period was up, the machine flashed a message rejecting his request, the suit says.

“Hi. You are not quite ready to fill up,” it proclaimed — along with the number of minutes he had to wait — according to photos of the failed attempt in his suit.

His suit also includes ads for the “freestyle” deal at the park, which promotes “unlimited” refills with “100+ drink choices” — but doesn’t appear to mention the limits.

The move is a “deceptive” and “unconscionable trade and business practice,” the suit charges.

“He would not have been willing to pay the sum he paid had he known that the Products did not provide unlimited refills and were mislabeled and falsely advertised,” the suit reads.

“Defendant delivered Products with significantly less value than was affirmed by their representations, thereby depriving him of the benefit of his bargain and injuring him in an amount up to the purchase price.”

Arnaud is seeking unspecified damages.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Another person will be suing because the drinks made them fat and have health problems

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1228

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    Another person will be suing because the drinks made them fat and have health problems

When I first saw the story I thought that's exactly what he was going to claim

juicername
    Thomorino - Fade and Get Paid
    juicername's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3972

They prob have the limit to avoid abuse. Otherwise a family of 10 can do with just one cup.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14572

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    When I first saw the story I thought that's exactly what he was going to claim

I thought that as well. In fact didn’t someone sue McDonald’s or some other restaurant once on those grounds?