VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20445

Governor Abbott calls for day of prayer in Texas after Hurricane Harvey

http://abc13.com/governor-abbott-cal...rayer/2362356/

As the state of Texas continues to suffer the effects of Hurricane Harvey, Governor Greg Abbott has called for a day of prayer.

Hurricane Harvey began its assault on the Texas coast on Friday, August 25, 2017, causing massive destruction along the Coastal Bend before moving up the Texas coast into Central and Southeast Texas resulting in unprecedented flooding and tragic loss of life.

Gov. Abbott issued a proclamation stating in part that, "Texans have remained strong throughout this ordeal, with neighbor helping neighbor by wading into the flood waters or sorting through wind damage to rescue fellow residents. The people of Texas are grateful for the outpouring of support and resources from around the country and around the world that have been sent to Texas to assist with the damage as we begin the process of healing and rebuilding. Throughout our history, Texans have been strengthened, assured and lifted up through prayer."

The proclamation continued to declare Sunday, September 3, 2017, as a Day of Prayer in Texas. The governor urges Texans of all faiths and religious traditions and backgrounds to offer prayers on that day for the safety of our first responders, public safety officers, and military personnel, healing of individuals, rebuilding of communities and the restoration of the entire region struck by this disaster.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20445

Mentally ill religious people (but I repeat myself) continue to amaze me.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I don't believe in religion, so in this modern day and age, when I hear people asking for prayer, I think of it as a sign of unity and nothing more.

We all know that there is no God going to answer our prayers. If he did, he would be contradicting himself for letting these tragedies happen in the first place.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

oh kermit, but there is someone you can pray to who's got at least a jj gold winning percentage in answering them.......

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieDog View Post
    Mentally ill religious people (but I repeat myself) continue to amaze me.
    It really isn't about a man in the sky. Well shit, it is for some. But, people who use it for good then who cares. I'm agnostic as I haven't a fckin clue, just like anyone else. I personally hope when I die soon that everything just fades to black. Still, if it can do some good then fck it.

zert
    zert's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3617

Why did you start this thread?

Nitrogen
    Chasing
    Nitrogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 401

Spoiler Alert: Christians already tend to pray on Sundays

Nitrogen
    Chasing
    Nitrogen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 401

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    It really isn't about a man in the sky. Well shit, it is for some. But, people who use it for good then who cares.
    Praying is less effective than (what most already consider useless) hashtag campaigns.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

So he calls for a day of doing nothing? Sounds good to me