FlipsideRM
    Summer 16
    FlipsideRM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3216

Invading the stock market

Good evening all,

I decided to clean up my act and quit gambling all together. After years of wasted time and money I'm finally a month clean. I'm here for your guys advice /knowledge on the stock market.

I currently work for a bank and am re enrolled in school studying finance. I figured I should take my knowledge of trends/analysis and direct it toward something positive like the stock market. I know next to nothing about the markets or what stocks I should invest in. My friend and I are in this together and figured we would both deposit 500$ into a join account to begin with and day trade on penny stocks. We just opened an account on td Ameritrade but have no clue what wee are doing.

Are there any stock gurus on here who can provide some good insight for a novice like me. Maybe some tips on where to start, where to open an account if not td Ameritrade and where to research trends and stocks/ what kind of stocks we should be investing on.

Thanks all.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

tip#1 tomorrow, close your join acct and open two separate accts for you and your friend

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

They are seperate I'm sorry. I meant were a team together just studying and taking everything in to begin with. Totally seperate accounts but same deposit amount and were going to invest on same stocks together at first

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

If you're day trading penny stocks, you have not quit gambling

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

In a way I guess. But this is legal and I realize the money won't be as quick as placing a bet on the first 6 minutes of a lakers game but I'm willing to be patient and grind.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

But anyway whole point of this wasn't to chastise me , I'm looking for advice.

Thanks

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Unless you are an "insider" you will not like the stock market any better, in fact you will soon realize you were better off as a bettor.....

If ya think sports betting is rigged,wait til ya get a load of the stock market.....

Pure lack of money management is why you don't like gambling ............

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

And the fact I have to get my money shipped from Nicaragua every week. But your right on the money management part. I was never good at that, too many options. Live, halftime, quarters. I justly wanna spot a couple stocks a day to try out and if I lose no sweat off my back not like I just lost my whole roll on a first half bet

nvrlose37
    nvrlose37's Avatar Become A Pro!

$1000 just doesn't seem like enough to get an acct going, even if its just penny stocks. I work at Merrill Edge and I wouldn't advise using them for penny stock trading. Pretty good online though if that's what matters more to you.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Put it like this. My friend who's invading the stock market with me has never gambled a day in his life. Real sharp dude, very patient. Complete opposite of me. I have the analysis/research and he offers the logic part. I just need to know where to start. No one here dabbles and had been successful in stocks?

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by nvrlose37 View Post
    $1000 just doesn't seem like enough to get an acct going, even if its just penny stocks. I work at Merrill Edge and I wouldn't advise using them for penny stock trading. Pretty good online though if that's what matters more to you.
    I'm more into the learning part at first. Idc if I make a dollar a day or lose a dollar a day as long as I'm learning. My whole study path and career is going to be in finance and investing.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

The stock market is easily manipulated by big players such as Goldman Sachs etc.... It's legal but it ain't fair.

Bet10Heinekens
    Bet10Heinekens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5044

I think you're asking for advice at the wrong place...90% of the posters here are clueless degenerates

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Nothing is free in this world

You win some

You lose some

Good luck

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

The approach to the stock market is a lot like the approach to sports betting because of one simple action...ANALYSIS.

I recommend mixing fundamental analysis (studying earnings reports, balance sheets, etc.) and technical analysis (studying trading volume and price changes by looking at the company's share price charts over periods of time).

I'm sure you know, and I am not trying to sound like a dick or anything, but stock prices are determined by the buying and selling of the company's shares. When more shares are bought then are sold at a given moment in time (so when there is more demand than supply) prices will go up and when the opposite occurs, prices will go down.

I say that because you can do all the research you want (and to be successful you should be willing to do a good bit of research) but like how in sports betting the players, not the sports bettor (with all their analysis), determine the actual outcome of the game. In the stock/forex/commodity/bond market, you can theoretically drive prices with enough personal buying and selling.

I say theoretically, but unless you are some secret billionaire and you want to invest in small cap companies or you manage China's sovereign wealth fund and you invest in mid-cap companies, you won't have nearly enough money at all in order to drive prices personally.

Don't invest in penny stocks, because those are traps. You can potentially personally "drive prices in penny stocks" in certain ways, but you can go to jail for that, so don't try to do that.

Basically, since you won't have enough to drive prices yourself (I mean I think it is fair to assume that you're not a multi-billionaire, because you would be one of a few hundred people in this world if I remember correctly) you need to: make sure you do a lot of research about companies before you invest in them, keep up the research throughout the time you own them, dollar cost average if you have a lot of confidence in your investment and it is having a rough patch, try your best to buy low and sell high, etc. Do all these things and take the ride.

There are plenty more advanced things like options and futures, etc. to learn about later, but this should get you started.

Also, don't believe in the "perfect market" or "random walk" theory. Those things are ideals promoted by academics that have "no skin in the game" and make 6-figures (in the case of people like my finance professors) to just regurgitate the same shit class after class after class.

Warren Buffett promotes promotes the "perfect market" theory TO THE PUBLIC when he says people should just buy shares in an S&P 500 Index fund and just hold them so you make money or lose it based off of what the S&P 500 does. Buffett is a hypocrite because he did not earn his billions by investing in a S&P 500 Index fund. He analysed companies and bought them so he speculated and invested off his own effort and the effort of his employees at Berkshire Hathaway. But, I view Buffett as just another old man and I don't really like old people so fukk him.

If you want to look at certain investors that you can "look up to" so to speak and that speculated/invested in specific companies/commodities/bond/currencies (via the forex market) like I assume you plan on doing, some people that I look up to are: Robert Rubin (just focusing on his trading ability which is all we are talking about here, he was A BEAST bond trader at Goldman Sachs), Peter Lynch (arguably the greatest mutual fund manager of all time), and then a guy like T. Boone Pickens (the greatest oil trader of all time), and a fairly consistent top 5-ish and ACTIVE hedge fund manager like Ken Griffen (guys like George Soros haven't actively managed in years, they just pick up a paycheck now).

Lastly, if you want to put all your money in an index fund, well ok. But, I can almost promise you that if you do the work yourself and invest in the individual things you choose, then it will be better for you overall (financially it may be tough at times, but it will be much better for you over time from a financial and learning perspective in my opinion).

Also like Russian Rocket said, have a different account from your friend. Your money is YOUR MONEY.

Finally, DIVERSIFY your investments.

bubbles may be a wild guy, but bubbles isn't a fukking idiot so take this post to heart.

I wish you the best of luck, bruh.

Now, let's watch sbr trolls flood your thread with laughing smileys and broke dick fukk comments, like they do to everyone else.
    Last edited by bubblebuttluv; 01-09-14 at 12:23 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cala56

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Bubbles is sharp

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Penny stocks are a waste of time.

tb1984
    tb1984's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1083

What job did you have before, Flip?

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

"Plastics son. Plastics"

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

Invade away brotha

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Unless you are an "insider" you will not like the stock market any better, in fact you will soon realize you were better off as a bettor.....

If ya think sports betting is rigged,wait til ya get a load of the stock market.....

Pure lack of money management is why you don't like gambling ............
    This

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3463

Invest in 3d printing technology t

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Bubbles appreciate the thorough well thought out response !

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

You going to get buried plus you have a small bankroll

You'll be broken no time

Stockmarket is 10 times worse than sports betting and you lose 10 times more

If you're asking questions on the gambling form about stocks you have no business investing

Hey kid put the money in the bank and give up gambling

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by tb1984 View Post
    What job did you have before, Flip?
    I was a mortgage processor

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    You going to get buried plus you have a small bankroll

You'll be broken no time

Stockmarket is 10 times worse than sports betting and you lose 10 times more

If you're asking questions on the gambling form about stocks you have no business investing

Hey kid put the money in the bank and give up gambling
    Lol. Guy, I have a good job and a good career path. I'm not going "all in" on the stock market , I just want to learn the ropes. Eventually down the road after school I want to get a series 7, etc. I have to start somewhere.

jjgold

Like any other form of investing the chances of turning a profit are very very little unless you hold for 15 plus years, its useless to try and grind money out, the greatest minds in world cannot do it so your not going to do it, kid stop trying to make easy money.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

I'm investing on penny stocks and said I don't mind making a dollar a day lol. If I wanted to make quick money id still be sports betting. I will make it and 10 years from now you'll still be on this website

Sportsbetting123
    Sportsbetting123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

You wont beat the market. there are 30 year investing gurus who cant beat the market. Put it in index funds and stop wasting your time and money trading.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

I don't think you guys get the whole point. I am by no means trying to get rich quick here. My plans are to eventually be a broker after school, maybe MBA. I'll be taking other broke people's money but to do that I need to have real time experience. All I want is a start.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

But you're right jjgold I'm probably at the wrong place to be asking this question. You guys all have that addict mentality with your negative criticism and get rich quick theories

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68557

The idea is not to beat the market, it's to make money on other peoples money within the market. That is about the same thing that is done when being in the mortgage business. You are making a deal with the purchaser for a % and selling or flipping that mortgage for a profit, or, getting a bonus because of the deal struck.
    Because of these types of jobs, you have seen the juice side of gambling ( sort of) and realize that this side is much better than the other side.
    I get what you see and I get why you quit gambling. These views are almost like seeing it from the bookie's side of things. That will cross your mind down the road if it already has not.
    Being in the gambling business for 30+ years, I see where you are going and I wish you good luck. Stay in school, and keep learning both there , as well as at work. You will figure it out.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    The idea is not to beat the market, it's to make money on other peoples money within the market. That is about the same thing that is done when being in the mortgage business. You are making a deal with the purchaser for a % and selling or flipping that mortgage for a profit, or, getting a bonus because of the deal struck.
    Because of these types of jobs, you have seen the juice side of gambling ( sort of) and realize that this side is much better than the other side.
    I get what you see and I get why you quit gambling. These views are almost like seeing it from the bookie's side of things. That will cross your mind down the road if it already has not.
    Being in the gambling business for 30+ years, I see where you are going and I wish you good luck. Stay in school, and keep learning both there , as well as at work. You will figure it out.

That's the plan! Sick of being played the fool, I want to play the fool. 500$ investment to get real life stock/day trading experience and learn the markets and how to even trade in the first place is my idea right now. This isn't a get rich quick idea

jjgold

Go sign up for a simulated trading account, paper trade young lad. Its basically the same thing with real prices.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Go sign up for a simulated trading account, paper trade young lad. Its basically the same thing with real prices.
    That's like playing poker with play money. You know that won't work

123 Last