griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

ATTN Dog owners: Dog ate a Tbone steak bone 2 days ago

Yesterday she was shitting all over the house. Vomited last night. Constipated last night, just took her out again this morning and shes in her poop squat for 5 minutes nothing coming out. What do I do here boys? the vet will be 100 bucks just to walk in the door, 100 more for xrays. christ if she needs surgery that will be like 2k.

Anyone with any experience on this? I am hoping it will pass after today. Not sure what to do here.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Sounds like you should just take her. A couple hundred bucks shouldn't sink ya.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Extra Innings

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

right on cue she just vomited white bile everywhere. fukk me. my jackass neighbor gave her a tbone when i wasnt looking.

on the bright side its not bloody

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Whatever MOD is on duty can go fukk themselves

I put that thread in the players talk area because i need maximum exposure to get some free help. fukk u i hope u have a shitty fukkin day. sweet life moving threads around all day

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

You need to go to the vet.

If the steak was raw, you should be ok because the bone will not splinter

If the steak was cooked, the bone will splinter and the dog could have an obstruction. This is very serious and you need to go to the vet.

Raw meat such as chicken and steak with bones are great for dogs and I feed my dog a raw meat/bone only diet. However, never feed your dog cooked meat/bones because they cant handle the spices of cooked food and the splintering of cooked bones could kill them. PM me if you have more questions.

Please go to the vet grizz. Good luck and god bless.

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Listen to LTA griz. Seriously if it was cooked and she nibbled on the bone, it can cause major damage to her. Especially if she can't even poop the little pieces out. Yes the cost will sting a bit but it's worth it obviously. If you can make sure from your neighbour that it was raw, then she's probably just reacting to something foreign to her diet, like we all would. GL. Very scary when a pet gets sick.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

yea it was cooked. i left the dog with the neighbor for 10 minutes to start the coals on the grill and come back and she has devoured a tbone steak bone.

thanks for the info

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

take her to the vet.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

or u could call the vet and see if they recommend something to try

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

my vet is a crook. i know the vet will pass me a bill for 500+

might just give her some time here and see what happens

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Is she showing any sign of improvement at all? If things were going to get better on there own, they should have by now. From what I know a dogs digestive system acts quickly if it is functioning correctly. 2 days is a long time. Maybe you can find something on google that tells you what you can try or a pill or something you can give her without going to the vet?

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

besides the vomit (twice) and not being able to shit she seems normal now. not eating but still running around and playing and shit.

shari91

Ok griz, this is from the FDA about cooked bones:

Constipation due to bone fragments: Your dog may have a hard time passing the bone fragments because they're very sharp and they scrape the inside of the large intestine or rectum as they move along. This causes severe pain and may require a visit to your veterinarian.

And they talk about infections and 20 other things that can go wrong.

If she doesn't poop soon, or whenever is normal for her, I'd take her in. Or at least call your vet. I've been surfing dog forums and there are these stories about dogs getting constipated because the splinters get stuck. Then they need to get put under to have them removed.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

How old is the dog, Griz?

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Your dog may have puked up most of the stuff too...any bone chips in the barf??

Good luck Griz...earlier reply said it right...24-48 hours is a long time in a dog belly...my dogs get sick and it's no more than 24-36 hours before I know if everything is ok again or not.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24854

Griz, you'll be fine up to 4 or 5 days with out to worry.

Vet will be like $350. Get a new brand of dog food. It acts as a laxative. soft canned stuff will work great. She'll be crappin in no time.

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    besides the vomit (twice) and not being able to shit she seems normal now. not eating but still running around and playing and shit.
    Get the dog to the vet

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Ok griz, this is from the FDA about cooked bones: Constipation due to bone fragments: Your dog may have a hard time passing the bone fragments because they're very sharp and they scrape the inside of the large intestine or rectum as they move along. This causes severe pain and may require a visit to your veterinarian. And they talk about infections and 20 other things that can go wrong. If she doesn't poop soon, or whenever is normal for her, I'd take her in. Or at least call your vet. I've been surfing dog forums and there are these stories about dogs getting constipated because the splinters get stuck. Then they need to get put under to have them removed.
    thanks - called the vet they said bring her in right away we might have to do surgery (no shot)

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    How old is the dog, Griz?
    shes 3

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    Griz, you'll be fine up to 4 or 5 days with out to worry. Vet will be like $350. Get a new brand of dog food. It acts as a laxative. soft canned stuff will work great. She'll be crappin in no time.
    thanks man - im with you - i think im gonna ride this out. i mean if the dog was in the wild would this lead to her death? i think she will be fine after a couple days but the house is getting destroyed in the mean time

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

Girlfriends dog swallowed a walnut----dog very sick----surgery---vet bill $2200.----paid vet got dog home---dog died in a few days---vet said infection----1998.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

thanks - called the vet they said bring her in right away we might have to do surgery (no shot)

shes 3

thanks man - im with you - i think im gonna ride this out. i mean if the dog was in the wild would this lead to her death? i think she will be fine after a couple days but the house is getting destroyed in the mean time
    Stop posting, bring the dog in

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

My Gf is a vet.
    Dogs can't eat chit like that it will make them constipated.
    If no blood then you should be good.
    It will take a few days for it to be completely released.
    The dogs have anal glands near the dark hole back there.
    You could put on some surgical gloves and release the pressure, it will make the dog feel better at least.
    It smells horrid so be ready. You might vomit yourself.
    Get the dog to eat dog food, soak it in some warm chicken or beef broth.
    Will make a good turd.
    Good luck.

shari91

griz, wild dogs don't light a bonfire and sing kumbaya while cooking their prey before eating them

That's why cooked bones are scary and raw ones are ok.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: griz, and cant call it

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24854

Plus, if the dog is getting around without too much pain, your fine. If she starts to whimper then it's time.

With all these tests they will do at the vet today, you'll have to lube up.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by cant call it View Post
    My Gf is a vet. Dogs can't eat chit like that it will make them constipated. If no blood then you should be good. It will take a few days for it to be completely released. The dogs have anal glands near the dark hole back there. You could put on some surgical gloves and release the pressure, it will make the dog feel better at least. It smells horrid so be ready. You might vomit yourself. Get the dog to eat dog food, soak it in some warm chicken or beef broth. Will make a good turd. Good luck.
    no blood

on the phone the vet was already saying surgery before even looking at the dog. fukkin money hungry crooks over there. the other month they told me the dog needed surgery on her knee. i said fukk off and now the dog's knee is fine.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

the vet said "is the dog lethargic?"

the fukkin dog sleeps all day every day of course she is lethargic

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

Make sure you let the dog $hit in the neighbors yard from now on

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

try feeding your dog plain chicken and white rice. When my dog got sick or constipated he would love eating chicken and white rice, and he would take massive dumps afterwards.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

All vets are crooks. Like lock said some bland food for a while maybe her stomach is just upset and she's sick. Some rice with bland meat/chicken. I always have to convince the better half that it's nothing to avoid $500 vet bills. BOL if it worsens u need to get to the vet.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

shove an enema up her butthole.

thats what i did when my dogs were bloated/constipated after eating bones.

worked like a charm.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM

thinking about fighting my neighbor

shari91

If it turns out that you do decide to listen to us sane ones - and the FDA - and go to the Vet, you should try to pull a Corbin Hustle and stick your neighbour for at least part of the bill. And your carpet cleaning, etc. Just flip out and say that everyone knows cooked bones are bad for dogs and accuse them of trying to sabotage you because they're jealous of your jetski and topless babe. Oh and of course, please tape the entire thing. Seriously though, gl. I'd be flipping out at this point. That's why I bought doggie insurance so I never had to worry about this stuff. Seems like a waste of cash until you're in a situation like this.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

no blood

on the phone the vet was already saying surgery before even looking at the dog. fukkin money hungry crooks over there. the other month they told me the dog needed surgery on her knee. i said fukk off and now the dog's knee is fine.
    Shit, my dog bleeds everytime the dumbfukk goes outside and eats a chili pepper

Dogs have a sensitive digestive systems.

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

film and post on sbr

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Griz.....you have options, pal.

Call me.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: shari91

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Owning a dog is a responsibility if you can not afford to take the dog to the vet than you should not own or ever think of owning a dog!!!!

12 Last