nammertl
    nammertl's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    I wish I could remember what book I read this in but I can't... it may have been a Malcolm Gladwell book but I'm not positive... anyway... A theory was proposed as to why Asians tend to do well at Mathematics. The theory went something like this... basic Asian numbers are short one syllable words that are easy to learn and remember. And the way their numbers progress is much easier to learn than that of languages like English. Thus, general mathematics tends to come easy for them when they are young. When people do things with ease as children they tend to be more interested in it as they grow into adolescence and adulthood. It's been years since I read this so I know that I'm not explaining it right but it made a lot of sense when I read it.

Here's a comparison... some of the first books kids read when they are young are stuff like Cat in the Hat and Dick and Jane. Stuff like that. It's fairly easy stuff so kids tend to want to learn more. But imagine if the first book you tried to read was The Pterodactyl's Rendezvous. It might turn some kids off from reading. Moral of the story... it's Asian words for numbers that make mathematics easier to learn than most languages.
    Actually I think it was in his book Tipping Point that Gladwell said that rice paddies, which are common in Asian countries, were the reason Asians are so good at mathematcs. Had something to do with the geometry of the fields and timing of the harvest and stuff.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3643

Quote Originally Posted by nammertl View Post
    Actually I think it was in his book Tipping Point that Gladwell said that rice paddies, which are common in Asian countries, were the reason Asians are so good at mathematcs. Had something to do with the geometry of the fields and timing of the harvest and stuff.
    Here's an excerpt from Outliers: http://www.gladwell.com/outliers/outliers_excerpt3.html

Tchocky
    Tchocky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

This is some of the most stupid, ignorant, racist crap I've read on this board.

muldoon
    muldoon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
    This is some of the most stupid, ignorant, racist crap I've read on this board.
    Don't worry...it'll be topped soon enough.

Meanwhile Jeremy Lin jerseys are flying off the shelf...he must really be good in math based on this thread.

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    A number is a number is a number. 6 is 6 = 12 in English, Spanish, Korean.
    6 is 6 = is still 6. You can "is" 6 as many times as you want, it's still going to be 6.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    I think there are an awful lot of arguments here just to try and deny the obvious.
    I agree. Having better teachers will help though. Even though beating them across the ass with a bamboo stick is not the answer, that will probably help also.

Dutchie
    Dutchie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 165

we will see how he does with Amare and Carmelo soon enough

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

The chinese are communists like Russia they were more interested in olympics than professional sports they are outstanding ping pong players ,and gymnist are extremly good swimmers even boxers at the amatuer level.

First 123