JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11913

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 905

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    This is my take as well. What I hold against him most in all of this is being a millionaire and not getting a damn Uber. It really is amazing that high profile people still get DUIs these days
    Yes man. Spot on. They already knew the guy was liquored up.

mjsuax13

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Hoop, it depends on the school and how high they are in the rankings. At the top Hoop schools...unquestionably it's about wins in March. Talk to some students at big-name Athletic schools. They might have an athlete in the same class, Good Luck seeing that guy ONCE during the semester. And the teachers are pressured to give passing grades.

I'll take exception, again depending on the school. I followed Rick Majerus' career, got to know him a little through a friend. I truly believe that Majerus put value on the student-athlete experience. At Utah, he had TWO Academic All-Americans on the team that made the NCAA Final. He had guys who were working toward careers...and he also had guys who reached their potential by becoming NBA players.
    You are trying to convince yourself.

mjsuax13

Imagine not winning and getting fired for being a drunk. That’s what we are talking about. Maybe it’s you are a drunk because you don’t win. Either way- what’s new here? You think they didn’t know he was a mess??? This guy never gave a FUUUUK about anything other than his paycheck and team ranking?! Not even mad about it. Where are the bodies? In Cincinnati pal!
    I say, ask your school to hire him after this because you will be relevant.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32341

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24923

Quote Originally Posted by mjsuax13 View Post
    You are trying to convince yourself.
    Convince myself of what? I know for a fact that Majerus cared about the future of his players.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by jackpot269 View Post
    I can hear Don Meredith now, turn out the lights....

Jack, that's a great clip. The writers used to talk about Gifford being the Third Wheel.

Cosell and Meredith couldn't have been more dissimilar. But Howard thought Don was funny. It made for a great on-air mix.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8401

Jack, that's a great clip. The writers used to talk about Gifford being the Third Wheel.

Cosell and Meredith couldn't have been more dissimilar. But Howard thought Don was funny. It made for a great on-air mix.
    Back when I looked forward to Monday night Football every week.

ChuckyTheGoat

Back when I looked forward to Monday night Football every week.
    Yes, it was very entertaining. Dandy Don singing was classic.

Don liked to enjoy himself. I know he had one line in the pre-game at a Denver game where he said:

"We're Mile High. And so am I."

Natty68
    Natty68's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2481

Quote Originally Posted by edawg View Post
    People looking at their cell phones are more dangerous than some guy that had a six pack or smoked a couple of joints.
    ^^^ this

ChuckyTheGoat

ChuckyTheGoat

I thought about your Jim Plunkett comment. Yes, his mobility was limited by the time he got to the Raiders.

A few things come to mind:
    1) It was a long way from his Heisman days to the Raiders in 1980.
    2) The Patriot/Niner teams he was on just weren't that good. Jim took a lot of hits there.
    3) Plunkett was a Raider reserve in 1978 and 1979. His career was almost over.
    4) Pastorini breaks his leg in 1980. Raider brass really thought about starting rookie Marc Wilson. But they didn't want to put pressure on the youngster.
    5) Flores knew that Plunkett couldn't move too well. Their best play was max-protect to free Cliff Branch on the bomb.

The most memorable play from the 1980 Super Bowl was Plunkett's mini-scramble and lob over the top to Kenny King. Plunkett got Herm Edwards out of position. Herm had to be thinking that Plunkett isn't going to run past him...and then Plunkett delivered an inch-perfect pass to King, just over Herm's arms.

The 1983 Super Bowl was a different kind of game. Three memorable plays that jump off the page:
    1) The Derrick Jensen blocked punt and recovery for TD.
    2) The Jack Squirek INT and TD. Still blows my mind.
    3) The Marcus Allen re-route and long TD run up the gut. What an image.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jackpot269

ChuckyTheGoat

Jack, an old Al Michaels interview that I thought you might like:

Al has some kind words about Gifford. What a life Gifford lived. Had it all, really, very easy for people to be jealous of him.

jackpot269

Yes, it was very entertaining. Dandy Don singing was classic.

Don liked to enjoy himself. I know he had one line in the pre-game at a Denver game where he said:

"We're Mile High. And so am I."
    Tough on people with substance abuse issues to work late evening or night work. You know that pre-game most of the time they would have to be around others that are drinking heavy and who knows what else!

jackpot269

I thought about your Jim Plunkett comment. Yes, his mobility was limited by the time he got to the Raiders.

A few things come to mind:
    1) It was a long way from his Heisman days to the Raiders in 1980.
    2) The Patriot/Niner teams he was on just weren't that good. Jim took a lot of hits there.
    3) Plunkett was a Raider reserve in 1978 and 1979. His career was almost over.
    4) Pastorini breaks his leg in 1980. Raider brass really thought about starting rookie Marc Wilson. But they didn't want to put pressure on the youngster.
    5) Flores knew that Plunkett couldn't move too well. Their best play was max-protect to free Cliff Branch on the bomb.

The most memorable play from the 1980 Super Bowl was Plunkett's mini-scramble and lob over the top to Kenny King. Plunkett got Herm Edwards out of position. Herm had to be thinking that Plunkett isn't going to run past him...and then Plunkett delivered an inch-perfect pass to King, just over Herm's arms.

The 1983 Super Bowl was a different kind of game. Three memorable plays that jump off the page:
    1) The Derrick Jensen blocked punt and recovery for TD.
    2) The Jack Squirek INT and TD. Still blows my mind.
    3) The Marcus Allen re-route and long TD run up the gut. What an image.
    As usual great detail and insight. I had not thought about that KK play in a long time, but before you even got to his name I knew where you were going!

I was 11 yrs old (ON JAN 11TH 1981) when the 1980 Super BOWL was played and had already been a Raider fan for years.
    When Denver beat them in the AfC Championship game (not sure of year maybe 77) I was a sick little guy.
    I was sick of the term orange crush! The Raiders had won the SB the year before.
    Last edited by jackpot269; 06-18-23 at 03:49 PM.

ChuckyTheGoat

Yeah, Jack. It's funny how certain things stick in the deep recesses of your brain:

*In 1976 the Patriots took their one loss (decidedly) at New England, 48-17. This was the first year that Plunkett was gone, young Steve Grogan in at QB. The Patriots again played well in the playoff game. They led into the 4th qtr. I just watched the game-tape, dubious roughing the Passer penalty that gave the Raiders a 1st & goal.

*In 1977 the Broncos were the upstart team. Raiders lost at Mile High to send the Broncos to the Super Bowl. That was the game where Tom Jackson went crazy on the reporters in the post-game: "Do they believe now?"

jackpot269

Been away from the computer for a little bit today, on the phone with my daughter she couldn't make it here today, she informed me it is the last day of Bonnaroo. I didn't know that, but the traffic is always backed up for hours after they have it each year. I'm about 40 miles east of the event and she is about 60 miles west of it.

I Did not realize that Frank Gifford was 84 when he passed.

The steelers were the AFC team of the 1970's how good and/or lucky did they have to be, they were good.

The Raiders made it to 6 conference championships and won a super bowl.

Madden was coach from 1969 to 1978 and went 103-32-7

ChuckyTheGoat

Been away from the computer for a little bit today, on the phone with my daughter she couldn't make it here today, she informed me it is the last day of Bonnaroo. I didn't know that, but the traffic is always backed up for hours after they have it each year. I'm about 40 miles east of the event and she is about 60 miles west of it.

I Did not realize that Frank Gifford was 84 when he passed.

The steelers were the AFC team of the 1970's how good and/or lucky did they have to be, they were good.

The Raiders made it to 6 conference championships and won a super bowl.

Madden was coach from 1969 to 1978 and went 103-32-7
    Yeah, in the 1970s the league strength was tilted to the AFC. So many good teams.

Steelers were good but they had some good fortune, too. My head still spins thinking about the Swann catches in the Super Bowls.

I'm with you. When I think about the 1970s, I think about the Raiders. Madden's win% was incredible.

In 1976, did you know that the Raiders could have tanked the game vs the Bengals (on Monday Nite in the 2nd to last week of the season)? Would have likely locked the Steelers out of the playoffs. Raiders had locked up the Division, Madden just wanted to play it straight. Wound up facing the Steelers in the AFC Title game and beating them there.

jackpot269

Yeah, in the 1970s the league strength was tilted to the AFC. So many good teams.

Steelers were good but they had some good fortune, too. My head still spins thinking about the Swann catches in the Super Bowls.

I'm with you. When I think about the 1970s, I think about the Raiders. Madden's win% was incredible.

In 1976, did you know that the Raiders could have tanked the game vs the Bengals (on Monday Nite in the 2nd to last week of the season)? Would have likely locked the Steelers out of the playoffs. Raiders had locked up the Division, Madden just wanted to play it straight. Wound up facing the Steelers in the AFC Title game and beating them there.
    No, I did not know that about the Bengals.
    This has been great Chucky, I Like when we can talk football and I have some knowledge to share, I'm usually learning. I like all the other sports too, but my IQ goes way down in the other sports.

I think we took over this thread today!

ChuckyTheGoat

Yes, Jack, it's fun talking about the old teams. The 1976 Raiders were a great team. But they won a lot of close games...and they needed some ref luck to win the playoff game vs New Eng.

Of the players on that team, I'd have to say Casper was my favorite. So sure-handed.

I also loved Upshaw because he was mean. And Villipiano was a great pro, too.

jackpot269

Dave Casper, one of my favorites he played more like a modern-day tight end In a lot of ways.

Ghost to the post

Holy Holler

He even played some tackle in collage his So. and Jr. year, because of injuries even got Honorable mention All American in his jr year

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11913

Don't drink and drive!

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    Jeff Wyler’s wife must not have been much of a catch then
    Wrong

bensw
    bensw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 118

I'm not sure what to think. I'm disappointed in Huggins, but I also feel sorry for him. He's made a mistake, but I hope he can get the help he needs.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32341

Quote Originally Posted by bensw View Post
    I'm not sure what to think. I'm disappointed in Huggins, but I also feel sorry for him. He's made a mistake, but I hope he can get the help he needs.
    More than a mistake, he's made many mistakes, I'm not the one to judge, i can can see how anybody can have a lack of judgement and get a DUI, ONCE, but multiple DUI's i have a problem with.

I don't know the man, never met the man or spoken to the man, but bases off of the accounts that I've read, Huggins seems to have serious anger issues as well.

First 12