Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

2021 NFL draft rankings: Mel Kiper's Top 25 prospects 🏈

2021 NFL draft rankings: Top 25 prospects, best by position in Mel Kiper's new Big Board

ESPN PLUS ($ MATERIAL)

In one of the strangest college football seasons ever, I'm back with updated rankings for the 2021 NFL draft. I have a new Big Board with my top 25 prospects overall, plus the top 10 prospects at every position, from quarterback to long-snapper (although I have only seven of those -- sorry).

You shouldn't be surprised about my top-ranked prospect. I don't expect it to change with Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence looking like a superstar. But Ohio State signal-caller Justin Fields isn't that far behind him. This is shaping up to be a really fun 2021 draft class, with elite quarterback and receiving talent, plus wild-card pass-rushers and even a few dominant offensive linemen.

A few notes before we get started, as usual:

• These aren't detailed scouting reports just yet and there is a lot of projection involved. Some of these prospects have made only a handful of starts. But that's what makes following the draft fun, right?

• Height and weight for each prospect are based on the data we get from schools, so it's not official yet. We don't get official numbers until the 2021 NFL combine. And because of the coronavirus, I'm not sure what the combine is going to look like next year.

• This is a strange year in which the NCAA has thrown out eligibility clocks, so seniors who play this season could be seniors again in 2021. That still means underclassmen who are three years out of high school can enter the draft, but it also means we could see some upperclassmen return to school. It's going to be an interesting class.

1. Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson

HT: 6-6 | WT: 220 | Previously: 1

Lawrence missed Clemson's previous two games because of a positive COVID-19 test, but he was on the sideline at Notre Dame and will reportedly be ready to go the rest of the season. That could include a potential rematch with the Fighting Irish in the ACC title game on Dec. 19. In six games this season, Lawrence has improved his completion percentage to 70.7%, and he has 17 touchdown passes and two interceptions. He has made some highlight-reel throws and limited his mistakes. He makes it look easy. Lawrence has everything NFL teams want in a starting quarterback, from size to arm talent to the ability to process reads and make the right throw.

2. Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State

HT: 6-3 | WT: 223 | Previously: 3

Fields is off to an incredible start for the Buckeyes. Through three games, he leads the FBS in Total QBR (96.2) and has thrown 11 touchdown passes with zero interceptions. In fact, he has as many touchdown passes as he does incompletions. He's completing 86.7% of his throws and has added two rushing touchdowns. There's not much Fields can't do and I've already seen improvement from him in his pocket presence and ability to see the field and go through his reads. The question about Fields going into the season was more about sample, as it was unclear if the Big Ten would play a season and he had been a starter for only one season. Now that Fields is playing -- and playing well -- there should be no questions about him. He has superstar potential and is just barely behind Lawrence. Expect a lot of talk about those two signal-callers for the next six months.

3. Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

HT: 6-6 | WT: 330 | Previously: 2

I wrote in September that Sewell could be a top-five pick even if he never played another snap at Oregon and, well, that's exactly what's going to happen. He announced just days after my preseason Big Board was released that he was opting out of the season and entering the 2021 draft. He's the clear top offensive tackle in this class and dominated as Justin Herbert's blindside protector last season, winning the Outland Trophy as the college football's best lineman. In a class with outstanding quarterback and wide receiver talent, Sewell won't be the sexiest pick, but he'll be an instant starter and upgrade for the team that picks him.

4. Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State

HT: 6-3 | WT: 245 | Previously: 5

Parsons opted out too, and has been training for the 2021 draft. Penn State is 0-3 without him. He was all over the field the past two seasons, racking up 191 tackles, 19 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks and six forced fumbles. He has rare talent, though he has room to grow into the defense that picks him. He played linebacker for the Nittany Lions, but he was a defensive end in high school and could end up as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense at the next level. It's the versatility that makes him valuable, as he could also play inside linebacker in a 4-3. Parsons had five sacks last season, but he has a higher ceiling as a pass-rusher in the NFL.

5. DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama

HT: 6-1 | WT: 175 | Previously: 13

Smith is going on two years of being Bama's No. 1 wide receiver, as it was Smith, not top-15 picks Jerry Jeudy or Henry Ruggs III, who led Alabama in receiving yards (1,256) and touchdowns (14) in 2019. Smith has 56 catches in six games this season and he's coming off a four-touchdown game against Mississippi State in which he showed off his elite pass-catching traits. He leads the FBS in receiving first downs (40) and has developed into an all-around player. I picked Smith as a potential first-round sleeper last October and then put him on my Big Board, but he decided to return to school for his senior year. He's not a sleeper anymore, and he's my new No. 1 receiver in this class.

6. Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU

HT: 6-1 | WT: 200 | Previously: 4

Chase is another talented player who opted out and is entering the draft, but as I wrote in September, there won't be an issue with sample. He has two full seasons of film to show NFL teams, including his phenomenal 2019 in which he caught 84 passes and led the country with 1,780 yards and 20 touchdowns. He's stellar after the catch, breaking tackles and running away from defenders. As I mentioned in the summer, Chase consistently beat first-round pick A.J. Terrell in the national title game, catching nine passes for 221 yards and two TDs. He's an elite prospect.

7. Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida

HT: 6-6 | WT: 239 | Previously: 22

Pitts has shown off his size/speed traits this season, as he has six red zone touchdown catches but is averaging 17.3 yards per reception. That shows how good he is all over the field. He has a huge frame, of course, but he high-points the football well and has soft hands. Pitts began the season with a stellar four-TD game, but he suffered a concussion against Georgia and could miss time. He's a big-time tight end prospect, though, and I wouldn't be shocked if he is a top-15 pick. He's a perfect fit for what NFL teams want out of their tight ends.

8. Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State

HT: 6-3 | WT: 224 | Previously: 9

Lance got a one-game showcase this season and he will forgo his final two-plus seasons and enter the 2021 draft. He was just OK in that game against Central Arkansas, but as I wrote before it was played, I wasn't going to overreact to one game against an FCS opponent. He's going to end his college career with only 17 starts -- all wins -- and none of those came against FBS opponents. That makes him a bit of a wild card for this class, as teams will want to get to know him more in the lead-up to the draft. We do know that he's a phenomenal talent, though; he had 42 total touchdowns (28 passing) and zero interceptions last season for the FCS champs. He threw for 2,786 yards and ran for another 1,100.

9. Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama

HT: 6-2 | WT: 203 | Previously: 6

You probably recognize the name; Surtain's father, Patrick, picked off 37 passes and earned three Pro Bowl trips over 11 NFL seasons. He was a second-round pick by the Miami Dolphins in 1998. Surtain II is a little bit bigger than his dad, but they have similar coverage traits. His frame reminds me a little bit of Marlon Humphrey, another Crimson Tide corner who went in Round 1 (2017). Surtain is a shutdown corner who can break on throws with ease -- he has 20 pass breakups over the past three seasons, along with four total interceptions. He also forced three fumbles last season.

10. Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas

HT: 6-7 | WT: 310 | Previously: 8

The Longhorns haven't quite kicked their running game into gear this season, but don't blame Cosmi, who can wipe out defenders when he pulls. A starter at right tackle as a redshirt freshman in 2018 who then switched to left tackle last season, he's back playing as Sam Ehlinger's blindside protector. Cosmi has great feet and bend as a pass-protector. As I mentioned in September, he has a chance to be Texas' first first-round pick from the offensive side of the ball since quarterback Vince Young in 2006.

11. Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama

HT: 5-10 | WT: 182 | Previously: 12

Waddle is out for the season, unfortunately, after he suffered a combination of a high ankle sprain and fracture against Tennessee last month. He was averaging 22.3 yards per catch and had four touchdowns in four games. He's electric with the ball in his hands, as a receiver and returner. He's going to run away from defenders at the next level, and I hope he can get healthy soon.

12. Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

HT: 6-2 | WT: 207 | Previously: 14

Nothing has changed with Farley, who was the first notable prospect to opt out of the 2020 season. I wrote about him in August, and I moved him up a spot in my cornerback rankings after watching more tape. I would have loved to see another full season of starts, just because 2019 was only his second year playing defensive back -- he played quarterback and wide receiver in high school. And that was after he tore his ACL in fall practice in 2017. But you can see Farley's tools on the Virginia Tech tape, even if he needs some refinement. How he tests at the combine next year will be crucial.

13. Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

HT: 6-3 | WT: 210 | Previously: NR

Wilson is legit. I included him in my quarterback rankings last month, calling him the "guy you better get to know now" and he is still flying under the radar. Watch the ball placement on this throw, which turned into a 78-yard touchdown. He has a stellar arm and can climb the pocket to find his man. He was too up-and-down last season, bordering on reckless, but he looks tremendous in 2020. Wilson has 22 touchdown passes and only two interceptions, and he has added eight rushing scores. He's efficient (completing 75.1% of his passes), takes care of the football and has some pocket presence. He's only a true junior, but he has started 24 games for the Cougars, so he has a big enough sample to show NFL teams. I really like watching him.

14. Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio State

HT: 6-1 | WT: 194 | Previously: 7

Wade has had an inconsistent start to his season after he opted out and then opted back in for the Buckeyes. On a 2019 defense that had two first-round cornerbacks in Jeff Okudah and Damon Arnette, Wade played mostly in the slot, but he popped when I studied the Buckeyes. In three games this season, he has been beaten a couple of times, and that's against below-average competition. I want to see his technique improve the rest of the way. Still, Wade's versatility to move inside or outside is an asset as he transitions to the NFL. He had four interceptions from 2018 to '19.

15. Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami

HT: 6-7 | WT: 253 | Previously: 18

Rousseau is another opt-out for this season and I'm not quite as high on his 2019 tape as others. He has a massive frame, but I didn't see an explosive first step off the line of scrimmage. He was inconsistent from snap to snap. He had 15.5 sacks, but a few of those were coverage takedowns. The draft, though, is all about potential and traits, and there's no doubt that Rousseau has both. I'm really interested in seeing his testing numbers at next year's combine.

16. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB, Notre Dame

HT: 6-2 | WT: 220 | Previously: 17

Owusu-Koramoah is coming off one of the best games of his career, as he had 2.5 tackles for loss, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery and nine total tackles in the double-overtime win over Clemson. I wrote in September that he has a high ceiling as an off-ball cover linebacker, and he already has an interception this season. Owusu-Koramoah is more in the mold of Deion Jones, a fast and rangy defender who can burst through the line of scrimmage for negative gains. He rarely misses tackles and I've been impressed with his ability to read plays and react quickly.

17. Rashawn Slater, G, Northwestern

HT: 6-3 | WT: 308 | Previously: NR

This is a veteran offensive line prospect who has started 37 games at both left and right tackle, though I see his NFL future at guard because of his size. He has good feet and is an excellent pass-blocker; he didn't allow a sack last season while playing on the left side. He moves really well for his size. Slater opted out of the season, but he didn't need to prove much in the Big Ten. His father, Reggie, had a long career in the NBA.

18. Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

HT: 6-5 | WT: 314 | Previously: NR

The more I watch Darrisaw, the more I like him. He's a road grader in the running game who just mauls edge defenders. He has a mean streak and finishes plays. He started as the Hokies' left tackle as a true freshman in 2018 and he just keeps getting better. The junior is still young, but he's rising big time based on the first six games this season. And he has the frame to stick at left tackle in the NFL.

19. Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan

HT: 6-4 | WT: 272 | Previously: 20

It's all about projection with Paye, who has two sacks in three games this season (both in the season opener) and only 11.5 sacks in his three-plus seasons in Ann Arbor. I don't think he has scratched the surface of his talent. He is a gifted athlete with an impressive frame, and he has some scheme versatility if he keeps growing. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up as a defensive tackle in the NFL. I've been told that Paye will light up the combine and I'm excited to see how he plays the rest of the season.

20. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

HT: 6-2 | WT: 208 | Previously: 24

Moehrig stood out on the 2019 tape because he was always around the football. He had four interceptions, 11 pass breakups and 76 tackles and forced two fumbles. He has added another pick this season. TCU coach Gary Patterson knows how to coach up his defense and he found a star in Moehrig, who has some potential as a ball hawk. Moehrig is still growing into his 6-2 frame, but he's my top-ranked safety in this class.

21. Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU

HT: 6-3 | WT: 200 | Previously: NR

Marshall flashed behind Justin Jefferson and Ja'Marr Chase on the Tigers' run to the national title last season, but he is the clear top target for LSU this season. He has four straight games with at least two touchdown catches and is averaging 17.4 yards per reception. Watch him break tackles and outrun defenders on this 51-yard score. He has quickness that you can't teach. Marshall isn't quite the athlete that Chase is, but he has a ton of ability and could be a No. 1 receiver at the next level.

22. Wyatt Davis, G, Ohio State

HT: 6-3 | WT: 315 | Previously: NR

Davis originally opted out of the season and declared for the draft, but he changed his mind and has slotted in as the Buckeyes' right guard in their first three games. He started all 14 games there last season. He's a strong run-blocker who should be an instant-impact player in the NFL. Davis overpowers college defensive linemen, but he can move a little bit as well. He didn't allow any quarterback pressures last season.

23. Rondale Moore, WR, Purdue

HT: 5-9 | WT: 180 | Previously: NR

Moore is yet to play this season -- he's another player who opted out and then changed his mind -- and he played only four games last season, but he was one of the Big Ten's best players as a true freshman in 2018. Coach Jeff Brohm & Co. quickly discovered that their best offense was getting the ball to Moore; he had 114 catches for 1,258 yards and 14 total touchdowns. He was also phenomenal in the return game. Moore's dynamic run-after-the-catch ability makes him an ideal fit for forward-thinking NFL teams. He'll be used in a variety of ways and I can't wait to see him back on the field.

24. Mac Jones, QB, Alabama

HT: 6-3 | WT: 214 | Previously: NR

I didn't include Jones in my quarterback rankings last month, but McShay and I had a fun debate about Jones last week. Read that piece for more thoughts, but in short: He just keeps improving. I have been so impressed by his deep-ball accuracy and ability to stand in the pocket and make throws under pressure. I didn't see him as a potential first-round pick last year, when he took over after Tua Tagovailoa's injury, but he has made his case so far through six games. Unfortunately, we won't see him play this weekend, as Alabama's game against LSU has been postponed.

25. Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota

HT: 6-2 | WT: 210 | Previously: 10

Bateman originally opted out of playing this season, but he reversed course and has caught 24 passes and a touchdown in three games, though he's averaging only 12.6 yards per reception. That's a steep drop from last season, when he caught 60 balls for 1,219 yards (20.3 YPC) with 11 touchdowns, but it's still early. Check out this route on Bateman's lone TD catch. That's smooth. He has long arms and the length to go and get the ball in traffic. He tracks the ball well on deep throws. The question about Bateman is his straight-line speed; his 40-yard dash time will be important.

Position rankings

Quarterbacks

1. Trevor Lawrence, Clemson
    2. Justin Fields, Ohio State
    3. Trey Lance, North Dakota State
    4. Zach Wilson, BYU
    5. Mac Jones, Alabama
    6. Kyle Trask, Florida
    7. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M
    8. Jamie Newman, Georgia
    9. Kenny Pickett, Pitt
    10. Sam Ehlinger, Texas

Running backs

1. Najee Harris, Alabama
    2. Travis Etienne, Clemson
    3. Javonte Williams, North Carolina
    4. Journey Brown, Penn State
    5. Chuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State
    6. Kenneth Gainwell, Memphis
    7. Javian Hawkins, Louisville
    8. Michael Carter, North Carolina
    9. CJ Verdell, Oregon
    10. Trey Sermon, Ohio State

Fullbacks/H-backs

1. Ben Mason, Michigan
    2. Rhamondre Stevenson, Oklahoma
    3. Ryan Bowman, Washington
    4. Jeremiah Hall, Oklahoma
    5. Mason Stokke, Wisconsin
    6. Tory Carter, LSU
    7. Houston Heimuli, Stanford
    8. Clay Moss, Weber State
    9. Carl Tucker, Alabama
    10. Chris Elmore, Syracuse

Wide receivers

1. DeVonta Smith, Alabama
    2. Ja'Marr Chase, LSU
    3. Jaylen Waddle, Alabama
    4. Terrace Marshall Jr., LSU
    5. Rondale Moore, Purdue
    6. Rashod Bateman, Minnesota
    7. Chris Olave, Ohio State
    8. Kadarius Toney, Florida
    9. Tylan Wallace, Oklahoma State
    10. Nico Collins, Michigan

Tight ends

1. Kyle Pitts, Florida
    2. Pat Freiermuth, Penn State
    3. James Mitchell, Virginia Tech
    4. Brevin Jordan, Miami (FL)
    5. Jake Ferguson, Wisconsin
    6. Quintin Morris, Bowling Green
    7. Hunter Long, Boston College
    8. Charlie Kolar, Iowa State
    9. Noah Gray, Duke
    10. Tony Poljan, Virginia

Offensive tackles

1. Penei Sewell, Oregon
    2. Samuel Cosmi, Texas
    3. Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
    4. Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State
    5. Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame
    6. Jalen Mayfield, Michigan
    7. Myron Cunningham, Arkansas
    8. Walker Little, Stanford
    9. D'Ante Smith, East Carolina
    10. Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State

Guards

1. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
    2. Wyatt Davis, Ohio State
    3. Trey Smith, Tennessee
    4. Alex Leatherwood, Alabama
    5. Ed Ingram, LSU
    6. Zion Johnson, Boston College
    7. David Moore, Grambling
    8. Royce Newman, Mississippi
    9. Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC
    10. Deonte Brown, Alabama

Centers

1. Landon Dickerson, Alabama
    2. Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
    3. Michal Menet, Penn State
    4. Drew Dalman, Stanford
    5. Nick Ford, Utah
    6. Josh Myers, Ohio State
    7. Trey Hill, Georgia
    8. Ben Brown, Mississippi
    9. Jimmy Morrissey, Pitt
    10. Alec Lindstrom, Boston College

Defensive ends

1. Gregory Rousseau, Miami (FL)
    2. Kwity Paye, Michigan
    3. Carlos Basham Jr., Wake Forest
    4. Patrick Jones II, Pitt
    5. Rashad Weaver, Pitt
    6. Joe Tryon, Washington
    7. Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA
    8. Ade Ogundeji, Notre Dame
    9. Payton Turner, Houston
    10. Daelin Hayes, Notre Dame

Defensive tackles

1. Christian Barmore, Alabama
    2. Tommy Togiai, Ohio State
    3. Tyler Shelvin, LSU
    4. Jay Tufele, USC
    5. Levi Onwuzurike, Washington
    6. Marvin Wilson, Florida State
    7. Jaylen Twyman, Pitt
    8. Haskell Garrett, Ohio State
    9. Darius Stills, West Virginia
    10. Bobby Brown III, Texas A&M

Inside linebackers

1. Micah Parsons, Penn State
    2. Nick Bolton, Missouri
    3. Chazz Surratt, North Carolina
    4. Dylan Moses, Alabama
    5. Tony Fields II, West Virginia
    6. Devin Lloyd, Utah
    7. Monty Rice, Georgia
    8. Baron Browning, Ohio State
    9. Damone Clark, LSU
    10. Kuony Deng, California

Outside linebackers

1. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Notre Dame
    2. Joseph Ossai, Texas
    3. Azeez Ojulari, Georgia
    4. Quincy Roche, Miami (FL)
    5. Chris Rumph II, Duke
    6. DeAngelo Malone, Western Kentucky
    7. Jabril Cox, LSU
    8. Pete Werner, Ohio State
    9. Elerson Smith, Northern Iowa
    10. Hamilcar Rashed Jr., Oregon State

Cornerbacks

1. Patrick Surtain II, Alabama
    2. Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech
    3. Shaun Wade, Ohio State
    4. Derion Kendrick, Clemson
    5. Elijah Molden, Washington
    6. Jaycee Horn, South Carolina
    7. Kary Vincent Jr., LSU
    8. Rodarius Williams, Oklahoma State
    9. Aaron Robinson, UCF
    10. Robert Rochell, Central Arkansas

Safeties

1. Trevon Moehrig, TCU
    2. Jevon Holland, Oregon
    3. Andre Cisco, Syracuse
    4. Richard LeCounte, Georgia
    5. Richie Grant, UCF
    6. Bubba Bolden, Miami (FL)
    7. Joshuah Bledsoe, Missouri
    8. Hamsah Nasirildeen, Florida State
    9. Tyree Gillespie, Missouri
    10. Paris Ford, Pitt

Kickers and punters

1. Evan McPherson, Florida (K)
    2. Jose Borregales, Miami (FL) (K)
    3. Andre Szmyt, Syracuse (K)
    4. Zach Von Rosenberg, LSU (P)
    5. Michael Turk, Arizona State (P)
    6. James Smith, Cincinnati (P)
    7. Daniel Whelan, Cal-Davis (P)
    8. Luis Aguilar, Northern Arizona (K)
    9. Max Duffy, Kentucky (P)
    10. Pressley Harvin III, Georgia Tech (P)

Long-snappers

1. Camaron Cheeseman, Michigan
    2. Adam Bay, Wisconsin
    3. Erik Dickerson, Arizona State
    4. Turner Bernard, San Diego State
    5. Thomas Fletcher, Alabama
    6. Damon Johnson, USC
    7. Ethan Tabel, Illinois

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

move my thread back bro

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

I'll have to check Trey Lance out

haven't seen him play ever

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    I'll have to check Trey Lance out

haven't seen him play ever
    because you are black and not allowed there????