1. #71
    Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-19-09
    Posts: 6,977
    Betpoints: 8964

    Great post. If you add female sports versus male the financial picture gets even uglier.
    Half the money goes to the women and they generate NO money. A huge negative but it's sexist not to share equally.
    Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    The optics look bad to offer full scholarships for sports that can’t even generate enough revenue to pay a coach’s salary and support staff yet the athletic departments always whine about not having enough money to pay the student athletes who pay for all the other programs. All scholarships are equal until the football team cant pay for everyone else’s freight. I hope everyone gets to play this year. Volleyball, lacrosse, golf, tennis, track and field, softball, equestrian, baseball, and if the sports can’t pay their own freight then drop them. Either that or pay the players that pay for everybody else. Let’s find out what a scholarship is truly worth.

  2. #72
    stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-19-18
    Posts: 1,627

    Contact sports. No way to play without a treatment

  3. #73
    Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-19-07
    Posts: 25,115
    Betpoints: 31

    I’m big on seeing people succeed but 2020 and this virus have opened my eyes to just how many people root for failure and the misery of others. It’s got to be exhausting. I will continue to count blessings and get joy from people succeeding and having peace!

    - Sean Salisbury
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 07/30/2020

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 07/27/2020

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  4. #74
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 8,356
    Betpoints: 1968

    Quote Originally Posted by stake1 View Post
    Contact sports. No way to play without a treatment
    soccer has some contact with the slide tackling etc and shoulder bumping while dribbling but two big distinctions from tackle football: huge separation on the field by 90% of the players, and a much smaller roster in the locker room and to contain off the field in society. not sure how many leagues around the world have "a bubble" for their teams, i have not researched that.

    hockey has a lot of contact too but again slamming their bodies against the other but not wrapping up on dudes tackling. football was WAY more exposure of the body (arms and faces breathing in a pile) than hockey does. also, much smaller rosters so easier to distance in the locker room

  5. #75
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 8,356
    Betpoints: 1968

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    I’m big on seeing people succeed but 2020 and this virus have opened my eyes to just how many people root for failure and the misery of others. It’s got to be exhausting. I will continue to count blessings and get joy from people succeeding and having peace!

    - Sean Salisbury
    sean must have called it all a hoax so people are telling him that he'll wake up when something happens to his mommy or daddy, then it will become real.

    i don't hear people rooting for failure, i just hear people getting irritated with people are calling this all a hoax.

    AZ, CA, FL, TX are not getting HOAXED right now, they are getting HOSED right now by a virus that has its own mind and is an absolute beast when compared to your standard cold or flu

    the way the fugger is traveling here in the summer is just insane.

  6. #76
    seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-08-06
    Posts: 19,500
    Betpoints: 6304

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    I’m big on seeing people succeed but 2020 and this virus have opened my eyes to just how many people root for failure and the misery of others. It’s got to be exhausting. I will continue to count blessings and get joy from people succeeding and having peace!

    - Sean Salisbury
    He must be drying out again.

  7. #77
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-13-09
    Posts: 17,530
    Betpoints: 5424

    The average age of the latest Covid-19 patients continues to drop substantially, proving once again that the young people of today do not have a brain in their head.

  8. #78
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 8,356
    Betpoints: 1968

    Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    The average age of the latest Covid-19 patients continues to drop substantially, proving once again that the young people of today do not have a brain in their head.
    they think they are invincible. a higher number than people think will end up hospitalized and possibly on a ventilator.

    they are also spreading it unknowingly to others if they are asymptomatic.

    unbelievably selfish.

  9. #79
    reallyhardtowin
    reallyhardtowin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-10-20
    Posts: 74
    Betpoints: 30

    Texas Athletics sent out letter today saying they were preparing for September 5th game against USF as of TODAY. I'm not optimistic but it sure would be sweet to watch on TV - 50% attendance. Surprisingly there was not much of a crowd yesterday for Nascar race (I thought there would be a bunch of folks)

  10. #80
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 89,007

    Quote Originally Posted by reallyhardtowin View Post
    Texas Athletics sent out letter today saying they were preparing for September 5th game against USF as of TODAY. I'm not optimistic but it sure would be sweet to watch on TV - 50% attendance. Surprisingly there was not much of a crowd yesterday for Nascar race (I thought there would be a bunch of folks)
    Itís nascar. I went to a race once cause one my friends talked me into it. What a horrible experience! You canít hear anything as cars go around in circles for hours! Canít even have a freaking conversation cause it so noisy! Add to the fact it was like 100 degrees and who in their right mind would wanna sit thru that while risking getting the Rona? Iím shocked 15-20k showed up!

  11. #81
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 8,356
    Betpoints: 1968

    Quote Originally Posted by reallyhardtowin View Post
    Texas Athletics sent out letter today saying they were preparing for September 5th game against USF as of TODAY. I'm not optimistic but it sure would be sweet to watch on TV - 50% attendance. Surprisingly there was not much of a crowd yesterday for Nascar race (I thought there would be a bunch of folks)
    ironic because the state of TX is one of the leaders in the outbreak and they went from thinking 25% in the stands to 50% in the stands, to now probably 0% in the stands when it is said and done.

    sucks where we are right now

  12. #82
    seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-08-06
    Posts: 19,500
    Betpoints: 6304

    Quote Originally Posted by reallyhardtowin View Post
    Texas Athletics sent out letter today saying they were preparing for September 5th game against USF as of TODAY. I'm not optimistic but it sure would be sweet to watch on TV - 50% attendance. Surprisingly there was not much of a crowd yesterday for Nascar race (I thought there would be a bunch of folks)
    The grandstands looked pretty empty to me yesterday. Couldn’t have been more than a couple of thousand people there. No way does hot spot south Florida travel to hot spot Austin.
    Last edited by seaborneq; 07-20-20 at 02:07 PM.

  13. #83
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 89,007

    Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    The grandstands looked pretty empty to me yesterday. Couldnít have been more than a couple of thousand people there. No way foes hot spot south Florida travel to hot spot Austin.
    They said estimate 15-20k ppl there on sportscenter but who knows if that accurate?

  14. #84
    KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-14
    Posts: 48,159
    Betpoints: 42

    Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    The optics look bad to offer full scholarships for sports that can’t even generate enough revenue to pay a coach’s salary and support staff yet the athletic departments always whine about not having enough money to pay the student athletes who pay for all the other programs. All scholarships are equal until the football team cant pay for everyone else’s freight. I hope everyone gets to play this year. Volleyball, lacrosse, golf, tennis, track and field, softball, equestrian, baseball, and if the sports can’t pay their own freight then drop them. Either that or pay the players that pay for everybody else. Let’s find out what a scholarship is truly worth.
    The philsophy is that it's more of the Athletic Department as a whole, not the individual sports. Because of that schools have to decide whether or not they want to field a bunch of sports and not be competitive or eliminate some sports altogether with the hope of being competitive in the sports that do get the extra rseources.

    It really has grown to ridiculous levels and it's being exposed these days for what it is.

    Also, many of these Atheltic Departments were already hurting financially and those in decline are really being exposed. Stanford had one of the largest AD's in the nation with 36 programs. They cut 11 of those programs this year.

    Completely cut them.

    Schools are forced to make some tough choices now.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  15. #85
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 89,007

    Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    The philsophy is that it's more of the Athletic Department as a whole, not the individual sports. Because of that schools have to decide whether or not they want to field a bunch of sports and not be competitive or eliminate some sports altogether with the hope of being competitive in the sports that do get the extra rseources.

    It really has grown to ridiculous levels and it's being exposed these days for what it is.

    Also, many of these Atheltic Departments were already hurting financially and those in decline are really being exposed. Stanford had one of the largest AD's in the nation with 36 programs. They cut 11 of those programs this year.

    Completely cut them.

    Schools are forced to make some tough choices now.
    Do all these sports really need to fly all over the country to compete? Couldnít they cut spending a great deal by keeping the non revenue sports more regional events?

  16. #86
    KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-14
    Posts: 48,159
    Betpoints: 42

    Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Do all these sports really need to fly all over the country to compete? Couldn’t they cut spending a great deal by keeping the non revenue sports more regional events?
    Oh, so now you want to bring down the airlines, hotels and restaurants too?

    Sheesh.

    No, just kidding lol.

    Actually, your thinking could have played part role in some conferences decisions to play conference only football.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  17. #87
    KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-14
    Posts: 48,159
    Betpoints: 42

    Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    ...Stanford had one of the largest AD's in the nation with 36 programs. They cut 11 of those programs this year....
    It's worth noting that they allowed all those on scholarship to continue to receive scholarships, I think even the multi year, full ride types, will get to live out the scholarship even without a sport to play.

    Same for coaches for this year. I think Stanford is honoring those contracts or at least honoring them with some kind of pay cut.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  18. #88
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 89,007

    Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Oh, so now you want to bring down the airlines, hotels and restaurants too?

    Sheesh.

    No, just kidding lol.

    Actually, your thinking could have played part role in some conferences decisions to play conference only football.
    Lmao. They donít need my help, covid and the politicians handling that!

    I doubt has much to do with the football conf only plan. They print money so they can fly wherever they want! It the sports who suck off the football teet who need to start taking the bus!!

  19. #89
    KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-14
    Posts: 48,159
    Betpoints: 42

    Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    ...I doubt has much to do with the football conf only plan...
    Yeah, I think the biggest factor driving the conf only plan is that it's easier to cancel down the line than all the other logisitcs and contracts with the out of conference schools.

    So that tells us something about the fragility of NCAAF right now.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  20. #90
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 89,007

    Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Yeah, I think the biggest factor driving the conf only plan is that it's easier to cancel down the line than all the other logisitcs and contracts with the out of conference schools.

    So that tells us something about the fragility of NCAAF right now.
    I think there a ton of reasons for it, coaches paranoid about how many practices other schools getting in, potential that some teams have created herd immunity to the Rona, or the 100s of other things that keep coaches up at night! Along with logistics and all that crap you mentioned.

    Unfortunately ncaa football been the sport Iíve feared not playing all along. Iíve never had any doubt bout nfl and still donít. Sucks cause I much prefer the college game but is what it is. Doesnít seem real likely to be played in the fall, hopefully that changes.
    Points Awarded:

    KVB gave 2daBank 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  21. #91
    KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-14
    Posts: 48,159
    Betpoints: 42

    Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    Unfortunately ncaa football been the sport I’ve feared not playing all along..
    Same here. It's a lot of opportunity lost when the bettors are thirsty. A real bummer if it doesn't go off.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  22. #92
    cybersharp
    Update your status
    cybersharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-17-20
    Posts: 214
    Betpoints: 595

    This thread is full of Stupid. Overflowing with it.

    The Big Ten football will be entertaining this fall. All conference games.

    You all should stay at home & hide in your closets. I'm gonna enjoy watching sports,
    including football.

    The NFL will be simply amazing. But don't watch if it's too scary, OK?

  23. #93
    KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-14
    Posts: 48,159
    Betpoints: 42

    Yeah some big conferences with TV deals might pull it off if things stayed the way the are today.

    Even with the TV contracts, the revenue of ticket sales loss alone is drastic, not to mention the loss to local businesses. It's huge.

    It's big money. Look at Texas. They deal with more than 200 million in revenue (in '18-19 it was 224 mil) and two thirds of it is football.

    When it comes to profit, almost 95% if it is from football.

    Enormous pressure to play but if they had to play today they would not play.

    In another 6 weeks, as cases decline, it's a whole different story. Like I said, from the school to local businesses, there is enormous pressure to play football this fall.

    FCS already losing conferences, but FBS is huge.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  24. #94
    cybersharp
    Update your status
    cybersharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-17-20
    Posts: 214
    Betpoints: 595

    From sister-site The RX:

    "The July developments of conference-only schedule announcements from the Big Ten and Pac-12 worried many and was described by some as a domino falling toward the cancelation of the 2020 college football season. Urban Meyer, however, saw the developments as positives.


    The former Florida and Ohio State head coach was recently interviewed on Fox News’ “Bill Hemmer Reports.” During the interview, he cited the conference-only announcements as the reason his optimism has recently increased.

    “Two weeks ago, yes,” Meyer said. “Last week, medium. I’m back to yes. We’re going to play. We’re going to play. I’ve just got so much confidence the way these universities are handling this right now. I love the fact that we went conference-only, because they can have control over the protocol, and start-stop dates, etc. I’m optimistic right now.

    “What really changed for me is the conference-only games.”

    Meyer clarified that while he expects a college football season, it may not be a normal season.

    “I didn’t say every conference is going to play. I didn’t say every team is going to play. I said we’re going to play college football. I really believe that conferences, presidents, ADs, and the commissioner(s) are going to work together with the head coaches, and they’re going to work this thing out,” Meyer said. “I just have a lot of confidence in our scientists — the team doctors – I really do. I’ve talked to a few of my colleagues that I’m really close with and I really believe we’re going to get that done.”

    As a FOX Sports analyst with an extensive coaching tree (Dan Mullen, Ryan Day, Tom Herman, etc), Meyer remains one of the most well-connected people in college football even as a retired coach. His optimism will be well-received by many fans."




    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sat...g-to-play/amp/

  25. #95
    KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-14
    Posts: 48,159
    Betpoints: 42

    Yeah, Meyer said that before. The SEC can afford a lot of options.

    The NCAAF football season as a whole is in trouble. If a conference plays, it's not a season. As a bettor who exploits these markets, it's terrible what not playing football will do, but it could even be worse if some schools, even Big 10 schools, are forced to play without fans.

    It's a double punch to the athletic budget as they have to pay for football as well as lose revenue and profit. That could affect future season of all sports for those schools. In reality it means many sports just disappear, potentially forever from some schools.

    Tough spot. At least they have 6 weeks.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  26. #96
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 8,356
    Betpoints: 1968

    Quote Originally Posted by cybersharp View Post
    This thread is full of Stupid. Overflowing with it.

    The Big Ten football will be entertaining this fall. All conference games.

    You all should stay at home & hide in your closets. I'm gonna enjoy watching sports,
    including football.

    The NFL will be simply amazing. But don't watch if it's too scary, OK?
    Come back on 9/1 and we'll talk then, Dude.

    I hope I am wrong because I cannot imagine the Fall with no football but the NFL is heading to the ICU in critical condition right now while CFB is on life support and in grave danger.

    Facts.

  27. #97
    spurginobili
    Llano Estacado
    spurginobili's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-09-09
    Posts: 2,765
    Betpoints: 367

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    Come back on 9/1 and we'll talk then, Dude.

    I hope I am wrong because I cannot imagine the Fall with no football but the NFL is heading to the ICU in critical condition right now while CFB is on life support and in grave danger.

    Facts.
    Agreed. Like someone said, football is full contact, with more players and staff than any other sport.

    Coronavirus is more transmissible than anything we've seen, and considering the current state in the US, it's hard to see any football this fall, college or pro.

    The NFL has a much better chance, but I don't think there's a bubble solution for the NFL, is there?
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 07/27/2020

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 07/23/2020

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/17/2020


  28. #98
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 8,356
    Betpoints: 1968

    Quote Originally Posted by spurginobili View Post
    Agreed. Like someone said, football is full contact, with more players and staff than any other sport.

    Coronavirus is more transmissible than anything we've seen, and considering the current state in the US, it's hard to see any football this fall, college or pro.

    The NFL has a much better chance, but I don't think there's a bubble solution for the NFL, is there?
    I'm the one who keeps saying the contact aspect plus biggest tosters are the issue. It has plain as day. It.aint.happening.

  29. #99
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-13-09
    Posts: 17,530
    Betpoints: 5424

    The NFL IS going to play. At least they are going to make a legitimate attempt to start the season on time. It is a win-win for the owners. The players are going to get screwed out of some big time money this season and that will be nothing compared to what they will lose with the next contract. Serves them right.

  30. #100
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 8,356
    Betpoints: 1968

    Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    The NFL IS going to play. At least they are going to make a legitimate attempt to start the season on time. It is a win-win for the owners. The players are going to get screwed out of some big time money this season and that will be nothing compared to what they will lose with the next contract. Serves them right.
    Don't be so sure about the NFL. if the players play at least one game, they get paid for the whole season. Hard to believe but I heard this

  31. #101
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 89,007

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    Don't be so sure about the NFL. if the players play at least one game, they get paid for the whole season. Hard to believe but I heard this
    Iíve never had any doubt the nfl was gonna play. Not sure why anyone thinks they gonna leave all that tv money on the table?

  32. #102
    johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-21-15
    Posts: 13,148
    Betpoints: 24

    Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    I’ve never had any doubt the nfl was gonna play. Not sure why anyone thinks they gonna leave all that tv money on the table?
    This

    and I remind everyone we get nfl on sat if college is cancelled

  33. #103
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 89,007

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvegas13 View Post
    This

    and I remind everyone we get nfl on sat if college is cancelled
    I much rather have the college! If I could choose one it wouldnít be nfl but it ainít up to me, guess im glad we have nfl to fall back on. Would be cool if they spaced out between sat/sun so were only 3-4 on at time instead of 10 being played in the early Sunday time slot!

  34. #104
    homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-24-13
    Posts: 8,356
    Betpoints: 1968

    Quote Originally Posted by 2daBank View Post
    I’ve never had any doubt the nfl was gonna play. Not sure why anyone thinks they gonna leave all that tv money on the table?
    Liability. Lawsuits. You know so many star players tweeted at the nfl this weekend? Building the case for lawsuits if they aren't protected.

  35. #105
    2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-26-09
    Posts: 89,007

    Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    Liability. Lawsuits. You know so many star players tweeted at the nfl this weekend? Building the case for lawsuits if they aren't protected.
    Protected from what? A virus they most likely wonít even feel sick from? All their stupid tweets end with #wewanttoplay or whatever. Iíve said since day 1 of this shutdown Bs I believed If any league played it was gonna be nfl. All these other leagues starting up, there no freaking chance nfl dont play. I think they might even have fans! They would play on moon if they had to! They just posturing to get stuff. It be business as usual when it comes down to it.

First 123456 ... Last
Top