pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

College football won't be played. Having practices or games with 150 players, players, coaches, trainers and stuff in one cramped room violates social distancing rules.

mezmurized2
    Update your status
    mezmurized2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 354

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    College football won't be played. Having practices or games with 150 players, players, coaches, trainers and stuff in one cramped room violates social distancing rules.
    Seems logical, but unfortunate.
    I love US college football the most.
    Imagine -- without a working vaccine -- being an offensive lineman on virtually every snap having the defensive player a mere 6 inches away breathing directly into your face all game?!

Wanna prevent any serious opponent from actually being a contender?
    Find someone who is infected and pay them to spread the virus around THAT OPPONENT's training facility or other hangouts and go around touching (or licking) every common surface the athletes might use.
    OR, have him/her cough the virus into their hand, then go ask several star players for their autograph and hand them the pad & pen.
    Without a working vaccine that would be one opponent down within 2 weeks, tops...

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

You guys really are lemmings. Maybe football seasons won't take place, but it doesn't have anything to do with the health or biology aspect of it, it has to do with control and fear (and a corporate, blame and legalistic culture).

An extraordinary number of people infected with this virus do not have any symptoms at all. Period. And certainly not healthy athletes in the age ranges we are talking about. Stop watching the fearmongering news and try to think for yourself for once. Do a little digging for the data. You don't have shit to do. It's not that hard. Or just use your common sense.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: beerman2619

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11114

Football in jeopardy

No doubt about it.

mezmurized2
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    You guys really are lemmings. Maybe football seasons won't take place, but it doesn't have anything to do with the health or biology aspect of it, it has to do with control and fear (and a corporate, blame and legalistic culture).
    An extraordinary number of people infected with this virus do not have any symptoms at all. Period. And certainly not healthy athletes in the age ranges we are talking about. Stop watching the fearmongering news and try to think for yourself for once. Do a little digging for the data. Or just use your common sense.
    ---------
    I see your point. I agree with much.
    A sizable percentage who actually have symptoms more or less mimics the common flu,
    which sucks but usually isn't too bad.
    And there's a lot who are infected but DON'T have outward symptoms.
    But therein lies the problem.
    While many "infectious" persons may escape totally unscathed
    they can still easily transmit it to others who may not be so lucky.
    Moreover, I submit if they are infected but have no symptoms,
    then logically they are MORE LIKELY to transmit it to others - who may not be so lucky

homie1975

An extraordinary number of people infected with this virus do not have any symptoms at all. Period. And certainly not healthy athletes in the age ranges we are talking about. Stop watching the fearmongering news and try to think for yourself for once. Do a little digging for the data. You don't have shit to do. It's not that hard. Or just use your common sense.
    which is EXACTLY why this disease is so dangerous, because it is highly communicable (please look up the word) so folks with compromised immune systems and/or elderly people, are at great risk. colds and the flu have clear symptoms so when people have these illnesses they can stay away from elderly people and vice versa.

when you don't even know you have it, you are huge danger to others who in turn become a danger to others, etc etc.

even with social distancing, the average person with this disease infects 2 to 3 other people, and so on and so forth.

some of us might be lemmings, but you don't know some basic facts about this disease so maybe it's time for you to do more research and less talking?

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10364

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    So Manfred says they’re targeting a May-June return to action for the MLB.....but Kirk Herbstreit thinks we won’t even have a football season next fall???
    That does not come close to happening the way this is going
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Bcatswin

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by cankid View Post
    Correct.

Some people are in la-la land

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Quote Originally Posted by cankid View Post
    Nothing against you KLC but how is that even it the realm of happening? No way all this will be done by then and no real spring training i think each team got in like max 15 games, and the guys battling to make the teams? New managers with players they dont know? And no way they pack those stands that close together. Still will be remnants of it out there. Football is a whole different story. Need at least 3-4 months to prep for a season imo. And that aint gonna happen when no one can work with each other.
    Last edited by Bcatswin; 04-01-20 at 01:55 AM.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Nobody really knows anything right now

Hard to project, it is all about Corona #'s now

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

1 thing I like about Herbstreit is I really dont have to listen to him much in spring and summer

homie1975

college football fanatic here. no football happening until Oct at earliest.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

The College season will most likely be cancelled. If you cancel a months worth of games, then most teams are down to 8 games for the season. Some teams lose one conference game. Some lose two. Some, like Stanford lose three. A few lose none. Alabama loses games against USC and Georgia. Big money games. It goes on and on. How many wins do you need to become bowl eligible? The season becomes a logistical nightmare.

homie1975

BIG DADDEEEEEEEE shows up and gives us some valued opinion

Cannot imagine the fall without college football saturdays but hey, it is what it is.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    which is EXACTLY why this disease is so dangerous, because it is highly communicable (please look up the word) so folks with compromised immune systems and/or elderly people, are at great risk. colds and the flu have clear symptoms so when people have these illnesses they can stay away from elderly people and vice versa.

when you don't even know you have it, you are huge danger to others who in turn become a danger to others, etc etc.

even with social distancing, the average person with this disease infects 2 to 3 other people, and so on and so forth.

some of us might be lemmings, but you don't know some basic facts about this disease so maybe it's time for you to do more research and less talking?
    homie, you think I don't know, but you don't know what I do for a living nor do you know as much about diseases or epidemiology. The latter is the hardest for people to understand given emotional input of humans typically overriding their better judgment, in a lot of circumstances. I therefore will calmly explain to you why transmissibility doesn't necessarily mean anything with a disease, at least as far as "catastrophic effects" which are presumed here, but only because the media and powers that be are riding it this way (writing too). First off, danger is only when the infectious capabilities of a virus are also met in tandem with its lethality. Remember, the backdrop here is that we are shutting down entire swaths of the economy. That's a pretty big deal, it is some people's livelihoods at stake, which we should be sympathetic for as well, not just some grandma who is already older than almost every human that ever lived, yet we are supposed to be super worried about dying. Where was that tragedy for the thousands that die each year from the flu? The basic fact that you ignore, and most of the propaganda here, is that there isn't an increase in all deaths, that is, there actually has not been any excess mortality in any country so far. The 2017 flu season in Italy (the "horrible" scenario) was worse and they were overrun and full capacity in Lombardy and Bergamo, etc because that's a feature of their health system, demographics, culture, and environment/air quality. It was worse here too. Yesterday, fewer people died than normally do in NYC, on the same day compared to the previous year. Fewer. I can go on and on with statistics if you like but the reality is that there is no counter to this point, namely that if we have a real "tragedy" shouldn't far more people be dying compared to the same day in each of the last 5 years (yes, fewer, indeed). There are all sorts of biases going around that allow people to think this is different, and while some qualities of this virus are different, its damage is not. You are bombarded with anecdotes (not scientific), conservativism by doctors who always err on the side of caution and storytelling when guessing about a possible bad outcome, and political leaders who love ego and power and the narrative that they are "saving" or "helping" you by taking away more of your freedoms. It is not debatable that they do this, and in fact it is verifiable that you have less freedom currently. So, put the whole enchilada in your head and tell me, we have a virus that kills less people, but you are stranded at home, we shut down let's say 80% of the economy and companies and jobs won't be coming back any time in the near future ... and I ask, very cogently and simply ... for what gain?

You can answer, but hopefully I've opened your mind to another way of thinking about how much of an overreaction this clearly is.

homie1975

Stacker
    It's a nice story but you've got entire countries around the world and states in the USA all on basically a lockdown.

Everyone is stupid and guys like u are right?

Come on man. You can't be serious (my hands on my hips like McEnroe saying this)

homie1975

No one listen to Dr Fauci and Dr Birx.

Listen to Stacker instead.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29078

Another member of the SBR medical squad

mezmurized2
    Update your status

StackinGreen,
    I see the point you are making.
    Well written too. You obviously put some thought and time into it.
    But I'll note a couple things worthy of discussion in what you wrote....and this is meant respectfully and in the spirit of "friendly" debate/discussion...

.. not just some grandma who is already older than almost every human that ever lived, yet we are supposed to be super worried about dying.
    ----------
    Well, yes and no.
    The mortality rate for COVID-19 is waaaay higher than the common flu,
    so yes there is and should be heightened concern.
    It is reported that roughly 80% of deaths from COVID-19 in USA are people aged 65+
    So, if one is not in that age bracket, I agree with what you are implying that younger
    people need not be "super worried" about dying from it.
    But OBVIOUSLY, those over 65 can be super worried about it.
    Moreover, everyone, young & old, should be "super worried" about spreading it around to
    that older bracket
    because it appears to be at least 10 times more deadly!
    And the spread doesn't necessarily have to come from visiting gramma.
    It can come from an infected younger person (even with NO symptoms!!) touching
    a church door handle or touching a tomato at a grocery store -- just before gramma arrives to do same.
    The SARS and MERS viruses are reported to live on surfaces up to 9 days!!
    One doesn't have to come anywhere near an elderly person to cause their death!
    Keep in mind COVID-19 is also killing younger people (20%)

Where was that tragedy for the thousands that die each year from the flu?
    ---------
    True.
    The seasonal, common flu every year (winter mostly) kills many.
    Mind you, in most cases, NOT ALL, but most, there is an annual vaccine for this
    which, while not 100% preventative, is still largely effective and certainly helpful.
    Many CHOOSE not to get innoculated.
    And so they take their chances at their own peril.
    The annual common flu deaths WOULD be much, much lower if all at risk were innoculated, and I am certain you would agree with this point.
    Obviously COVID-19 is different.
    And the swine flu pandemic of 2009 which was real bad, and WORSE than common flu,
    infected 60.8 million Americans and killed 12,469 of those
    (on top of those who died from the common flu that year)
    a rate of 1 death per every 4,876 cases of H1N1 - which was bad.
    So far, as of 7:40 ET, COVID-19 has killed 4,745 from only 211,683 cases,
    a death rate of 1 per every 45 cases !
    By comparison to that last horrible US pandemic, most rational people should have cause to be "super worried"

The basic fact that you ignore, and most of the propaganda here, is that there isn't an increase in all deaths, that is, there actually has not been any excess mortality in any country so far. Yesterday, fewer people died than normally do in NYC, on the same day compared to the previous year. Fewer.
    I can go on and on with statistics if you like but the reality is that there is no counter to this point, namely that if we have a real "tragedy" shouldn't far more people be dying compared to the same day in each of the last 5 years (yes, fewer, indeed).
    ----------
    i don't know that stats but given "social distancing" and/or restrictions & lockdowns that we have NOW
    compared to NOT having that before, well, I would EXPECT the overall reported
    number of death totals from all causes to be significantly LOWER today. Seems logical.
    Far fewer drunk driver deaths, far fewer murders, far fewer traffic accidents, far fewer
    work-place accidental deaths, far fewer deaths from physical exertion, etc, etc.

There are all sorts of biases going around that allow people to think this is different, and while some qualities of this virus are different, its damage is not.
    ---------
    Sorry, but I remember that H1N1 pandemic from just 11 years ago and it was bad
    and may have killed many more had they not gotten a vaccine.
    That pandemic killed 1 in every 4,876 cases.
    COVID-19 is killing 1 in every 45.....so far.
    And the numbers of annual common flu deaths are not yet added!

You are bombarded with anecdotes (not scientific), conservativism by doctors who always err on the side of caution and storytelling when guessing about a possible bad outcome, and political leaders who love ego and power and the narrative that they are "saving" or "helping" you by taking away more of your freedoms.
    ----------

I am 65.
    And over my years of experience I've learned - often the hard way -
    that there is undeniable truth & wisdom in this saying:

"Hope for the best...but PLAN for the worst"

...we have a virus that kills less people,...
    ---------

Sorry bud, but I believe I have refuted that point.

but you are stranded at home, we shut down let's say 80% of the economy and companies and jobs won't be coming back any time in the near future ... and I ask, very cogently and simply ... for what gain?
    -------------

That is a good point.
    Notwithstanding the deaths and illness and fast rising STRESS
    the economy is taking a gut punch ...AND a groin punch.
    This is going to hurt for a long while.
    And our beloved pastime, sports, are gone for the forseeable future.

Of course the obvious answer is "to save as many lives as possible" from a pandemic
    with mortality rate which is 100 times higher than the dreadful H1N1 pandemic!
    That should be alarming to anyone with a soul.

Mind you, there is empirical evidence that if the Trump admin had acted sooner,
    rather than claiming everything was "completely under control" and the 15 cases
    of coronavirus would soon be down to zero, and the virus would most likely
    just vanish in April with the warmer weather -- as well as being much better
    prepared in the first place - the American death toll would be significantly lower
    - and likely endure far fewer weeks (or months) of financial pain & stress.

...and I ask, very cogently and simply ... for what gain?
    ---------
    Gain?!?!
    Why do we freely give donations to the homeless shelters, food banks, or SPCA ?
    Why do we even bother spending taxpayer dollars for geriatric centers, or
    funding medicaid/medicare programs for gramma ?
    Why even bother with "meals-on-wheels" programs.
    "...for what gain? "

You can answer, but hopefully I've opened your mind to another way of thinking about how much of an overreaction this clearly is.
    -----------
    ...a mortality rate which is 100 times higher than the dreadful H1N1 pandemic!
    Last edited by mezmurized2; 04-01-20 at 08:08 PM. Reason: name of OP

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

They cancelled school here in Georgia. There is no way they have football in the Fall with no Spring practices.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1926

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: mezmurized2

homie1975

No football for a long time. OCT at the earliest.

mezmurized2
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    --------
    Wow!!!

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 174

No football for a long time. OCT at the earliest.
    This is just wild talk

Football expected to start on time

NFL anyway

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvegas13 View Post
    This is just wild talk

Football expected to start on time

NFL anyway
    college football not starting end of august

NFL not starting as scheduled the second week of sept.

trust me.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57565

Got a good friend who works for the NY Giants, said there's way too much money involved for a complete cancellation. Could start late but there will be a season.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Got a good friend who works for the NY Giants, said there's way too much money involved for a complete cancellation. Could start late but there will be a season.
    i am not saying NO season, i am saying it starts late. OCT at the earliest. shortened season just like all of the other team sports.

Art Vandelay

i am not saying NO season, i am saying it starts late. OCT at the earliest. shortened season just like all of the other team sports.
    Agree!

homie1975

you don't need to have a friend who works in the league to tell you that. we ALL know that. money is everything.

true story: i have a buddy from childhood who is now an asst GM for a MLB franchise and i told him on Monday 3/9 that his season is most likely going to be suspended. he was not so sure. three days later on Thur 3/12 it got suspended. he works IN baseball but i knew more than him.

all it takes some good ole' common sense.

homie1975

BTW there is "way too much money" in march madness as well, but that got straight up canceled.

NOTHING is above being canceled. NOTHING !!!!

Art Vandelay

BTW there is "way too much money" in march madness as well, but that got straight up canceled.

homie, I agree. I told him he was being optimistic & he gave me the "know-it-all" NY attitude. Guess we'll see, right!

johnnyvegas13

MM got cancelled cus they r student athletes trying to graduate

Pros can wait

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

I want both to play without fans. We will be used to not seeing or being around each other by then. Just use the same background they use when trying to make everyone watching the Boca Roton bowl think it’s a big bowl game when no one is really there or gives a damn.

johnnyvegas13

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    I want both to play without fans. We will be used to not seeing or being around each other by then. Just use the same background they use when trying to make everyone watching the Boca Roton bowl think it’s a big bowl game when no one is really there or gives a damn.
    NFL said they plan on playing w fans

Can't speak for college but they prob follow suit

homie1975

homie, I agree. I told him he was being optimistic & he gave me the "know-it-all" NY attitude. Guess we'll see, right!
    he is probably just worried about his job and his relevance in life because he is employed by a pro team. NBA, MLB, and NHL have HUGE money being LOST as we speak but are all suspended and NOWHERE close to playing. losing money by the truckload every day.

if the NFL cannot practice in July they will not be playing preseason in Aug and reg season in Sept. not a chance.

we are inside of 90 days to July 1st so there is a very strong possibility the start of camp gets delayed by at least 30 days if not longer.

go tell your buddy that your online buddy HOMIE knows more than him because i am following events on a MACRO level while he is just worried about the little place in the sports world he has carved out.

First 1234567 Last