ATC727
    ATC727's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 329

Professional status

If you make consistently $400-$900 a month on let’s say the top sites like bovada , 5D...etc is that considered pro? So do u think they would lower the limits for this kind of player? What do u guys think?

shocka1212
    [Too Long]
    shocka1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3355

no.. would have to win 10k+ a month

MikeTizzy
    Update your status
    MikeTizzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

10k a month is the goal which is an excellent living and career

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTizzy View Post
    But if you play on 20 sites 400-900 a month is 10k

pretentiousGuy
    pretentiousGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1573

That is puny. Unlikely to get limited, almost certainly not if you're betting medium/large markets.

"Pro" status is if you make a good living on it (not barely scraping by, so you can handle variance). Any other definition seems arbitrary.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9208

To books it's more about if you are betting so sharp they don't see a way to beat you long term.

It's a lot less amount the amount the dollars you have made than how you made them.

As long as you have enough bets on -EV lines mixed in there the larger offshores will tolerate you winning.

ATC727

Wow U guys make close to 10k a month ? That’s amazing and I’m sure is a comfortable career. Congratulations man keep it up send me your secrets !

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    To books it's more about if you are betting so sharp they don't see a way to beat you long term.

It's a lot less amount the amount the dollars you have made than how you made them.

As long as you have enough bets on -EV lines mixed in there the larger offshores will tolerate you winning.
    I think this is more true than not.

Anymore, they want to know who's consistently beating the market.

It's a problem for some players.

But it's not a problem at every book.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

no such thing as a pro gambler

kid there is no definition

8th grade math skills is all it takes to get banned at books

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTizzy View Post
    if you aim really low I suppose

also, no book is going to let you make a "career" off their back. I can speak from experience. You start making anywhere near 10k a month think they are going to let that go on for years?

not a chance

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    no such thing as a pro gambler

kid there is no definition...
    The IRS defines a pro gambler as someone who makes most of the their income from gambling and reports it as such.

That's the only definition I know of.

xKMACKx
    xKMACKx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8449

If your main income comes from betting then you would be considered a professional. There is no monetary amount to judge it by.

ATC727

No but 500 a month consistently for 6-12 months, will thisbget you limited extremely ?

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28769

Quote Originally Posted by xKMACKx View Post
    If your main income comes from betting then you would be considered a professional. There is no monetary amount to judge it by.
    This

ATC727

Yeah but only I would know if 500 a month is my living income. Form anyone’s experience.. 500-1000 a month/ will a book ban you/limit you or close your account ?

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    if you aim really low I suppose

also, no book is going to let you make a "career" off their back. I can speak from experience. You start making anywhere near 10k a month think they are going to let that go on for years?

not a chance
    Anyone that successful or close to that successful who didn’t mix their action across several books was dumb enough to let themselves get banned/limited

ans61201
    ans61201's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4181

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    The IRS defines a pro gambler as someone who makes most of the their income from gambling and reports it as such.

That's the only definition I know of.

JJ clueless on the topic don’t worry lol

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by ATC727 View Post
    Yeah but only I would know if 500 a month is my living income. Form anyone’s experience.. 500-1000 a month/ will a book ban you/limit you or close your account ?
    Like Optional said, it’s about how you made it. If you’re winning by hammering weak lines, etc. then maybe they would.

MikeTizzy
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by ans61201 View Post
    Anyone that successful or close to that successful who didn’t mix their action across several books was dumb enough to let themselves get banned/limited
    This is it, u got it Ans. Also it's all about multiple avenues of income. Locals, offshores, even peer2peer with no juice works too.

Also no, 500 is too low per month for book to get banned.

MikeTizzy
    Update your status

Also top sites are BookMaker and Pinnacle, heritage is solid but prolly not as big as Penny and BM. Then I would said it's avocado and 5dimes after those 3

scrambles
    scrambles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

If you make consistently $400-$900 a month on let’s say the top sites like bovada , 5D...etc is that considered pro? So do u think they would lower the limits for this kind of player? What do u guys think?
    From what I've gathered people don't seem to consider you a rec player unless you lost your kids university fund on props.
    so congrats bro you are a pro, your plaque is in the mail.

lonnie55
    lonnie55's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12267

Depends on
    - the book
    - the markets
    - your betting behaviour/methods.

Some books will never limit you personally, most books will limit you after hitting one line off. Go and find out.

Barrakuda
    Barrakuda's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7305

Over/under on number of SBR posters who bet every day and have averaged > +$1k/month for the last 5 years:

Alfa1234
    Alfa1234's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2544

You could be losing 2k/month and get banned at some books. Optional already gave you the answer. It's not how much you win, it's which lines you consistantly bet. Basically if you are constantly betting lines that are about to drop (steam chasing) or "wrong" lines where the market has dropped an odd from say +250 to +180 and your book is still at +250, you will be limited/banned quickly. They don't really care if you win a lot of money every month by betting the NFL a few minutes before the game starts.

reigle9
    Paint my casket black with a big ass #3
    reigle9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1053

Quote Originally Posted by Barrakuda View Post
    Over/under on number of SBR posters who bet every day and have averaged > +$1k/month for the last 5 years:

Hard 0

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 28769

Quote Originally Posted by Barrakuda View Post

1. Gamling daily on any and every sport knocks out any chance at making money every month. Those 2 things dont go together

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

anyone making consistent profits is an arber that is all

lonnie55

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    anyone making consistent profits is an arber that is all
    Wrong.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

if you are smart enough to make $10k/mo at gambling...you are betting off going to a real career with benefits

danshan11
    I am good at coin flips, I really am!
    danshan11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2888

I agree its not just arbers but with that said the actually % of long term winners is very small and even smaller number of "skilled" winners if you add in Survivorship bias.
    you need a huge number of bets to even think of consistently winning just to overcome variance.
    even if someone could get 60% right long term variance could make this person a loser on a few 1000 games, volume has to be super super high to overcome this even if you are truly one of the blessed skilled players who hit at a 57% mark which is what I hear is near the top of the best in the world.
    hitting at a 57% pace can still produce a loser if the variance quotas are not met.

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    if you are smart enough to make $10k/mo at gambling...you are betting off going to a real career with benefits
    I would wildly guess most people that can achieve this level of success long term (1000s of games bet) probably do it on the side and they are probably doing a bunch of advanced work in other similar areas as well.

I think you are probably right Rudy when you say they should do something else because if they are this skilled in modeling and other skills the market for employment is probably pretty darn lucrative in other areas and probably pays better and if nothing else more consistently

lonnie55

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    you need a huge number of bets to even think of consistently winning just to overcome variance.
    No, you don't. You just have to identify inefficient markets and find enough books that accept your bets.

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    No. Actually nothing special to beat the bookie early market, you don't have to be a genius at all. I can't think of any job that would pay me higher than betting does.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

Quote Originally Posted by lonnie55 View Post
    No, you don't. You just have to identify inefficient markets and find enough books that accept your bets.

No. Actually nothing special to beat the bookie early market, you don't have to be a genius at all. I can't think of any job that would pay me higher than betting does.

where do you live?

do you have a wife and kids?

danshan11

Quote Originally Posted by lonnie55 View Post

Lonnie dude, you could be so good at this and crush the line and destroy the closing line and lose your ass in a small sample size, that is fact.

you could pick winners like you had tomorrows paper and if you do it on a small sample size you can get your ass kicked. Overcoming variance with enough bets is darn near a necessity dude.

lonnie55

Quote Originally Posted by danshan11 View Post
    Lonnie dude, you could be so good at this and crush the line and destroy the closing line and lose your ass in a small sample size, that is fact.

you could pick winners like you had tomorrows paper and if you do it on a small sample size you can get your ass kicked. Overcoming variance with enough bets is darn near a necessity dude.
    Depends on your edge. I could never think of being profitable long-term on US sports. But, for example, lower level soccer offers so much more opportunities. All you need is patience and good information. Then variance is not a huge factor at all.

12 Last