ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11618

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    Mahomes said he threw 83 in college in practice.
    The opposing QB’s name was Tannehill and he was no way going to throw 80+ yards on a gimpy ankle avoiding a rush.

Micromanager Bill couldn’t have failed harder there.

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Quote Originally Posted by trevor123698 View Post
    Billdo has been throwing games left and right since shannahan laid down in the super bowl for him. you people are morons. this was fixed. Gronk was out there to be mocked. he is done for. he is exposed. The pats will lose to houston in the divisional round. I could have told you this weeks ago. And I haven't seen more than 2 games in the past 2 years combined.
    If you haven't watched 2 games in the last 2 years combined then STFU and leave the football talk to the men.

And take that dipshite Yankfan4life with ya. The game was blown, yes, but not thrown.

Stick to Arianna Grande/Pete Davidson discussions.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

It was all on the defensive coordinator. They should have not rushed anyone, and put their 11 fastest defensive players on the field. Station them at the 40 yard line or so. There’s no way 1 guy could run thru 11 guys trying to tackle him.

I don’t know why any team even has 3 d lineman rush the passer in a Hail Mary situation. The pass rush is pointless, and if the QB does complete a pass down field you have fewer guys back there to make the tackle.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

i think it's a mix of it being a bad real-time decision and it being "monday morning quarterbacking"..... the ultimate test is whether anyone said it was a bad decision beforehand (obviously not much time to figure that out)

once it wasn't a hail mary, they should have shaken things up. move gronk up to pursuit and drop a speed/tackle player back i.e. have your free safety play that position.

not sure how they went with personnel but i'd have tons of defensive backs out there and maybe gronk too. so cut back on DL and LB. obviously you need a pass rush, but 3 man rush should suffice.

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    It was all on the defensive coordinator. They should have not rushed anyone, and put their 11 fastest defensive players on the field. Station them at the 40 yard line or so. There’s no way 1 guy could run thru 11 guys trying to tackle him.
    I don’t know why any team even has 3 d lineman rush the passer in a Hail Mary situation. The pass rush is pointless, and if the QB does complete a pass down field you have fewer guys back there to make the tackle.
    hadn't seen your comment when i made mine, but i agree 100%

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57705

The "smartest guy in the room" outsmarted himself! Gronk in and McCourty out... You gotta love it!

Wohlford
    Wohlford's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Funny how no one mentions it when bill makes a bad move
    Yeah, that was stupid, but quite a few people have mentioned it, such as every single sport stalk radio show that led off with this story this morning.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    hadn't seen your comment when i made mine, but i agree 100%
    IMO, it’s just basic math and the rules of football. 5 offensive lineman can’t go down the field and block until the QB throws the ball. So in a Hail Mary situation, those 5 guys don’t matter to the defense. Neither does the QB. So the defense only needs to cover the 5 eligible WRs on the play.

I’d rather have 11 guys trying to cover 5 WRs, than 7 or 8 covering 5.

It’s unconventional (to not have anyone rush the passer), but I don’t know why teams don’t do it. In situations at say the 50 yard line where the QB can throw it into the end zone, I’d put all 11 of my defensive guys in the end zone

Maybe even just have 1 pass rusher, then your fastest 10 guys all double covering the 5 eligible WRs
    Last edited by Plaza23; 12-10-18 at 03:49 PM.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Bill cost Brady one superbowl at least, maybe two. Fukkin guy. Brady puts up NFL record for passing yards in SB at 40 years old and Bill straight up costs him the game single handedly.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

Vinatieri once chased down Hershel Walker, maybe he thought Gronk could do similar

gojetsgomoxies

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    IMO, it’s just basic math and the rules of football. 5 offensive lineman can’t go down the field and block until the QB throws the ball. So in a Hail Mary situation, those 5 guys don’t matter to the defense. Neither does the QB. So the defense only needs to cover the 5 eligible WRs on the play.

I’d rather have 11 guys trying to cover 5 WRs, than 7 or 8 covering 5.

It’s unconventional (to not have anyone rush the passer), but I don’t know why teams don’t do it. In situations at say the 50 yard line where the QB can throw it into the end zone, I’d put all 11 of my defensive guys in the end zone

Maybe even just have 1 pass rusher, then your fastest 10 guys all double covering the 5 eligible WRs

i think you need some pass rush but 2 players should suffice. with no one rushing, QB gets to throw exactly as he wants. but i wholeheartedly agree with your point.

the following is a tangential comment,
    i have watched quite a bit of high school football over the years and it shocks me how little creativity i see from coaches. they seem to think that generic HS football is similar to the NFL... like long snapping and punting is a terrible decision. much better to pooch it from shotgun on 3rd down, if you need to punt. hey, a non-usual ball handler might fumble. or the ball will roll a long way ........................................ ........i'm talking generic HS football. Mater Dei vs. Bosco is different.

on obvious passing downs, i think teams should rush from the sides much more. it's not like the QB is going to audible and make a running play. and if he does, then you can adjust back. i'm talking HS but i think the very basic idea has utility in the NFL

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

The Falcons put Julio Jones in similar situations. But Julio Jones is fast and he can chase a running back for a tackle. Gronkowski is slow like a turtle compared to Julio Jones.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Gronk just watched
    Play it was embarrassing

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10251

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Let's face it Bill made a bad decision. He did it in the Superbowl as well.
    You trust him this week though?

First 12