Betpoints: 5652

Did we win

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by krk1030 View Post
    1 in 292 million to win 435 million? good odds

no wonder everyone goes nuts when it gets this high

although the odds do not account for splitting the win.
    The odds do account for splitting the win, it's still 1:292,000,000

To be +EV, it has to be north of a billion dollars

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24926

If you purchase 292 million tickets, odds dictate that you should be in possession of the winning numbers which would earn you $435 million which should be a net profit, contingent on taxes of course.

In other words if you follow the plan outlined above, there is a high likelihood of seeing your investment turn a couple million in profits overnight. All you have to do is get your bank to approve a $292 million loan for you and you're off and running!

That's why I'm here. It's what I do.

dlowilly
    dlowilly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 192573

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    If you purchase 292 million tickets, odds dictate that you should be in possession of the winning numbers which would earn you $435 million which should be a net profit, contingent on taxes of course.

In other words if you follow the plan outlined above, there is a high likelihood of seeing your investment turn a couple million in profits overnight. All you have to do is get your bank to approve a $292 million loan for you and you're off and running!

I checked this out earlier. Actually it would have to be around 1.5 billion to be +ev taking into account splits and taxes

You could even deduct tickets that didn't win anything on your taxes to offset the jackpot, unless ur an illegal and then ur screwed

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24926

But what if there are no splits? And if you opt for the annual payout plan which would mean less taxes?

Why would the pot need to be 1.5 billion?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Love seeing the morons line up to pay the idiot tax. Nevada border is the best. Poor morons scraping all their cash together to wait in line for hours to buy tickets

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

You won't win. Play GS game 5

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Love seeing the morons line up to pay the idiot tax. Nevada border is the best. Poor morons scraping all their cash together to wait in line for hours to buy tickets

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Quote Originally Posted by dlowilly View Post
    Any investment tied to the gov. is in danger, as I referred to with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Two examples of govts. going bankrupt are Detroit and Stockton. Our Federal Govt. has an obscene deficit that is growing every day, with no solution in sight. Revenue producers are drying up, as poor unskilled immigrants and govt. dependents grow in number and high income tax payers decline. The govt. has seized the profits of Fannie and Freddie and funneled them to govt. programs leaving those who invested in them twisting in the wind.

Take for example eminent domain. The govt. has the right to seize private property for public purposes, compensating the owner with a price they determine. Sure you can try to dispute that price, but good luck. If you don't think the govt. will look for ways of expanding this right to stay out of bankruptcy or feed and cloth future voters then you are in for a rude awakening. The boat is unquestionably sinking from several holes, and your lottery annuity is a piece of duct tape. Take it all now while it's there
    I honestly don't know which I'd take if I won. Unless you take the lump sum and put it in your mattress, the government going under is going to kill any investments you have. The lottery makes millions of dollars annually and will continue to, it's a separate fund than most government money. Plus, the US won't stop printing money and going farther in debt, it'll literally never stop. I'm just about as pessimistic as anybody about the future of the economy, but I think it's a stretch to say the annuity is a high risk. I'll just agree to disagree here, lol.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

you take the lump sum for sure. You're not promised tomorrow plus the extra money paid out over 30 years should be irrelevant compared to your investments during that time. Also, if you look at the payment plan it's back loaded which is not ideal.

Reminds me of the only funny joke in anchorman 2

"I inherited $300million from my father and I spent my whole life(guy is in 40s or 50s) turning that into $305 million"
    Last edited by brooks85; 06-12-17 at 08:06 AM.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post

I'm wondering if you can write off the other 291,999,999 tickets as investment lost?

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

You have to consider that once you hit the lottery, taking the lump sum payout instantly decreases the total amount significantly. Next factor in federal taxes and state taxes, if applicable. Lastly, you may split the winnings.

Buying a ticket is never +EV, but it is fun and if you did win a -ev jackpot, it wont matter because the money won would be legacy money.

First 123