daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Big 12 to have title game in 2017

In a vote of 10-0, the Big 12 approved a plan for a conference title game in 2017.Conference commissioner Bob Bowlsby said that "in all likelihood," the Big 12 will implement divisions in order to facilitate the conference title game. He said that he has looked at the possibility of splitting the 10 teams into two five-team divisions with a round-robin schedule, but that is just one idea that is being bandied around. After months and months of stagnation, the last few days have seen several exciting developments from the Big 12. In addition to the championship game being cleared, Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield earned an extra year of eligibility after the conference approved a change to their walk-on transfer rules. Expansion and a television network probably won't come to play this offseason, but it has been a productive time for Bowlsby and company of late.

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

This conference is a basket case. It can't count the number of teams in the conference and now will play the second place team against the first place team for the "championship."

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

So let me get this straight. The Big 12 has ten teams and the Big Ten has 12 teams?

And we wonder why Putin is winning the war on terror instead of the USA.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    So let me get this straight. The Big 12 has ten teams and the Big Ten has 12 teams?

And we wonder why Putin is winning the war on terror instead of the USA.
    Pavy the big 10 has 14 teams. Get it straight

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Pavy the big 10 has 14 teams. Get it straight

I forgot they added Rutgers and Maryland.

Buffalo Nickle

It is another line to bet which is all anyone cares about. People will watch. It's better than adding two crap teams to the conference. Just whore yourself out for the money. There is more to go around this way.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

I hate it that Oklahoma is in the Big 12. This conference is a disaster.

A Championship game makes no sense with 10 teams because every conference championship game will be a rematch. So if OU goes undefeated and beats a team like TCU and then TCU upsets them in the title game, the title game won't help anyone it will only hurt the team that has already ran through the league.

The SEC and Big 10 title games matter because you could have two undefeated teams that haven't played all year and it builds up all year and turns into a play-in game for the playoff. Just look at Iowa/Michigan State last year.

If OU had to play Baylor again last year, after beating them in Waco, and somehow lost; OU would have gotten punished and left out for playing another meaningless game.

I really wish OU would have gone to the Pac-12 a few years ago.

So have a championship game you need at least 12 teams. Who is the Big 12 going to add? Adding teams like Memphis and Cincy doesn't replace losing teams like Nebraska and Texas A&M. I'm sorry.

Buffalo Nickle

Even worse yet, I'm reading they are going to have two conferences but still play everybody and I guess the championship might not even be the 2nd place team. These guys will do anything for money.

In other news, they deny Baker Mayfield his extra year for escaping the Texas Tech plantation and then panic about the perception and change their minds the next day.

Buffalo Nickle

You are going to have two divisions solely for the purpose of a fake championship game and then whichever teams happens to finish on top in random Division B plays the best team. What a sham. But you can't blame them. People will eat it up. All anybody cares about is a playoff. They don't care how it happens.

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

A power Conference without a championship game is stupid. At least they're correcting this.

ChiTownTeaBagger
    ChiTownTeaBagger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2959

A power Conference without a championship game is stupid. At least they're correcting this.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTeaBagger View Post
    How is a game between a 1st place team and a 2nd, 3rd or 4th place team a championship? But a good point about why they should play this kind of game because people want to see it even if it is complete BS. Just call it a championship and give it to us.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11029

this is mainly because of 2014 when tcu got overtaken by ohio state on championship saturday

Buffalo Nickle

That's a minor reason. The main reason is the $30M they are going to make off it and the raises the school presidents will be able to get with that money.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    That's a minor reason. The main reason is the $30M they are going to make off it and the raises the school presidents will be able to get with that money.
    Of course. Same with every other conf that added a CCG. Can't single out the big12

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    Of course. Same with every other conf that added a CCG. Can't single out the big12
    Sure, you can. It goes like this. Team A finished in 1st place and beat Team B. How can you have a championship when Team A played the whole conference and finished in first place and Team B is proven not as good? This is an Fing joke!!

At least other conferences don't play one another for years and are actually two separate conferences and those two conferences play in a championship. It is not an obvious joke.

BriGuy
    BriGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4125

People say not having a CCG can cost them a chance at the playoffs, but a conference having a CCG can hurt that conference too.

We actually haven't seen it yet in the (2-year old) playoff era, but one of these days some conference fat cat is going to be upset on CCG weekend and cost that conference a chance at the playoffs.

Buffalo Nickle

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    People say not having a CCG can cost them a chance at the playoffs, but a conference having a CCG can hurt that conference too.

We actually haven't seen it yet in the (2-year old) playoff era, but one of these days some conference fat cat is going to be upset on CCG weekend and cost that conference a chance at the playoffs.
    Yes. It actually makes them less likely to go to the championship. Because Texas and OU will be the two teams that go to the championship most often and both of those schools would likely make the playoffs anyway just as OU did last year.

But if TCU makes it to the championship, they have to play Baylor again and lose. If Kansas State or Iowa State somehow makes it through with a great season, they have to play Texas or OU and down they go.

Buffalo Nickle

In the case of the Big 12, there is only one game that I can think of where a championship game might have put the team into the playoffs and that was Kansas State when Michael Bishop was QB. They played Texas A&M which was pretty crappy that year in the championship game and K State was flat and got clobbered and then wound up in the Alamo Bowl because no major bowl wanted stinking Kansas State.

In the case of TCU, they were not going over Ohio State even with a championship game. The NCAA was not putting in TCU over Ohio State. The NCAA wanted nothing to do with TCU. That's why they completely changed their ratings to get them in.

homie1975

Those of u who think that separate divisions in the sec and big ten etc don't play each other multiple times in reg season are just flat wrong. Look at the pac 12. Teams from the north play each other that's 5 gms then 3 or ooc gms so they fill the other 3 gms from the other division. Almost every year the pac 12 title gm has teams playing for second time that year

Stop w this ignorance

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

briles back soon too

Buffalo Nickle

Those of u who think that separate divisions in the sec and big ten etc don't play each other multiple times in reg season are just flat wrong. Look at the pac 12. Teams from the north play each other that's 5 gms then 3 or ooc gms so they fill the other 3 gms from the other division. Almost every year the pac 12 title gm has teams playing for second time that year

Stop w this ignorance
    When Georgia played Alabama in the SEC championship, they had played once in 10 years. When a team plays a team once in 10 years, they are not in the same conference. When a second place team plays a first place team for a championship, it is not a championship game. Stop with this ignorance.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

That was actually the 5th time in 10 years Georgia & Alabama played. They played in 2002 & 2003, 2007 & 2008. Regular SEC rotation then.

They would play even less now though. Next UGA/Bama game isn't scheduled until 2020

Buffalo Nickle

That was actually the 5th time in 10 years Georgia & Alabama played. They played in 2002 & 2003, 2007 & 2008. Regular SEC rotation then.

They would play even less now though. Next UGA/Bama game isn't scheduled until 2020
    Oh yeah? That's still ess than some nonconference schoos play. I remembered one of the announcers saying they had only played once in 10 years. Maybe they said they would only play once in the next 10 years or some such. Anyhow, I just read that Alabana is going to play South Carolina for the first time in 9 years. If you do not play a team every year, you are not in the same conference. That is what is a conference is. These are now two conferences with a scheduling agreement and a championship game.

The Big 12 is still a conference but has no championship game. It is playing an exhibition game at the end of the year.

homie1975

When Georgia played Alabama in the SEC championship, they had played once in 10 years. When a team plays a team once in 10 years, they are not in the same conference. When a second place team plays a first place team for a championship, it is not a championship game. Stop with this ignorance.
    You cited one example though it was erroneous as daneblazer pointed out.
    Please take a look at the pac12 conf champ gm history and you'll see almost every year the two participants already played each other. Unless you have 14 teams or more it's almost impossible not to have the CCG be a second meeting of the teams that given year

Buffalo Nickle

You cited one example though it was erroneous as daneblazer pointed out.
    Please take a look at the pac12 conf champ gm history and you'll see almost every year the two participants already played each other. Unless you have 14 teams or more it's almost impossible not to have the CCG be a second meeting of the teams that given year
    I cited two. You ignored the other. Even in the case of Georgia-Alabama, they played 5 times in 20 years. They aren't in the same conference. It's the AFL and the NFL after the merger.

I understand you like championship games. Even if they are between a first and third place team. Most people do and that is why the game is being played.

homie1975

I cited two. You ignored the other. Even in the case of Georgia-Alabama, they played 5 times in 20 years. They aren't in the same conference. It's the AFL and the NFL after the merger.

I understand you like championship games. Even if they are between a first and third place team. Most people do and that is why the game is being played.
    Actually I don't like them nor do I like the playoff. I am a purist. I like the old way of the big ten playing pac ten in rose bowl. I like the usa today poll and ap poll. I'm old school.

JMon
    I'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    JMon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10742

Kansas proud for many years!

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Oh yeah? That's still ess than some nonconference schoos play. I remembered one of the announcers saying they had only played once in 10 years. Maybe they said they would only play once in the next 10 years or some such. Anyhow, I just read that Alabana is going to play South Carolina for the first time in 9 years. If you do not play a team every year, you are not in the same conference. That is what is a conference is. These are now two conferences with a scheduling agreement and a championship game.

The Big 12 is still a conference but has no championship game. It is playing an exhibition game at the end of the year.
    Carolina played Bama in 2010. They won't play this year. They don't have many meetings because SoCo joined when the sec expanded. Conferences aren't just solely for football. Football teams can't play everyone in the conference and the only way for that to happen would be for each conference To have about 8-10 teams. Are 8-10 team conferences really that really better? Bigger the conference the more a conference game is needed. I'm not sure what people are arguing about here. The old system sucked

Buffalo Nickle

Conferences aren't just solely for football.
    Yes, they are. They just work out the rest. Just ask the Big East basketball schools, they said F this sh**.

Buffalo Nickle

Personally. I think the SEC was a lot more interesting before expansion. The Pac 10 was a lot better than this crap they've got now. Big 10, too Rutgers and Maryland in the Big 10. Nebraska in Big10 is boring as hell. Total B.S. It's all gone downhill.

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

Big 12 needs a couple more teams---Houston Tulsa maybe. Buy them out of their conf. Contract, whatever it takes.