TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Why Does Izzo Have To Be Such A Bitch For?

He's so full of sh#$. fuk him.

Told his player to miss a free throw?

Wish you would of lost on that hail mary you cok sukker

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6858

strategy son

TheMoneyShot

Ya... Strategy For Vegas $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6858

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Ya... Strategy For Vegas $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    take the ML

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

i really thought he was gonna make the ft to be up by 3 and then commit a foul afterwards.

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

that was really a dumb strategy. luck got him by, but you don't miss a chance to at the very least tie for a chance to lose.

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    i really thought he was gonna make the ft to be up by 3 and then commit a foul afterwards.
    True. I could of probably lived with that too. But put it in the officials hands to see if they call the foul or not. And... with a long full court pass... ball could of been tipped a few times and clock runs out.

It's cool... I just wanted to win for the hedge fund. I had MSU -2

lesterdymond
    lesterdymond's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 223

There is a small angle. You could tell Virginia didn't expect it and in return they fumbled the shot. Maybe an inbound play might of drove this to OT.

But yes. Push for most

TheMoneyShot

Quote Originally Posted by lesterdymond View Post
    There is a small angle. You could tell Virginia didn't expect it and in return they fumbled the shot. Maybe an inbound play might of drove this to OT.

But yes. Push for most
    Good call. I can live with that.

Just so deflating... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rr

WeinketoWarrick
    Update your status
    WeinketoWarrick's Avatar Become A Pro!

Izzo is a huge bitch but gets a pass for it because he's had success. Same with Coach K.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

It was the right move, most coaches with half a brain would have done same thing. Sadly many coaches don;t have one.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

May very well have been the right call, definitely didnt help my MSU -2, but fouling on the inbound would have been stupid. There was a second left, the last thing you want to do is foul on the inbound pass while Virginia manages to get a shot off giving them 3 free throws

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    May very well have been the right call, definitely didnt help my MSU -2, but fouling on the inbound would have been stupid. There was a second left, the last thing you want to do is foul on the inbound pass while Virginia manages to get a shot off giving them 3 free throws

no continuation is college.

fouling up by 3 with few seconds to go has been a trend this year.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post

no continuation is college.

fouling up by 3 with few seconds to go has been a trend this year.
    Yeah but it's not a few seconds, it's one second. If it's a deep pass they're gonna hoist as soon as they touch the ball, hence fouling gives em 3 shots.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Emotional. Always has been.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

80% FT shooter and you tell him to intentionally miss and bring losing in regulation into play. Dumb move. I pushed on my bet, but I hardly see how this is a +EV coaching decision.

Scenarios:

1.)You tell him to knock down the FT.

If he makes it, you are up by 3 pts. and cannot lose the game in regulation. Virginia has no timeouts and still has to throw up a Home Run ball and make the 3. Worst case for MSU, you go to OT.

If he tries to make it and misses it, you're in the same situation as if he intentionally misses it. A rebound and maybe a dribble or a short pass and a long 3pt attempt.

2.) You tell him to miss the FT on purpose.

Not only are you giving Virginia a chance to win the game with the only conceivable shot they can get off (a 3pt shot). You bring in the worst case scenario. The MSU player fails to hit the rim on the intentional miss. "The Dwayne Wade" miss. Now Virginia has the ball to inbound and a 3 sends you out of the tourney.

You can say Izzo went with the percentages or whatever, but any decision that brings up the worst case scenario and eliminates losing in regulation as a possibility seems like the wrong decision to me.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

So many of these games come down to free throws

I think though you win bad beats and lose them

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    80% FT shooter and you tell him to intentionally miss and bring losing in regulation into play. Dumb move. I pushed on my bet, but I hardly see how this is a +EV coaching decision.

Scenarios:

1.)You tell him to knock down the FT.

If he makes it, you are up by 3 pts. and cannot lose the game in regulation. Virginia has no timeouts and still has to throw up a Home Run ball and make the 3. Worst case for MSU, you go to OT.

If he tries to make it and misses it, you're in the same situation as if he intentionally misses it. A rebound and maybe a dribble or a short pass and a long 3pt attempt.

2.) You tell him to miss the FT on purpose.

Not only are you giving Virginia a chance to win the game with the only conceivable shot they can get off (a 3pt shot). You bring in the worst case scenario. The MSU player fails to hit the rim on the intentional miss. "The Dwayne Wade" miss. Now Virginia has the ball to inbound and a 3 sends you out of the tourney.

You can say Izzo went with the percentages or whatever, but any decision that brings up the worst case scenario and eliminates losing in regulation as a possibility seems like the wrong decision to me.
    No, it was the right call because the clock starts when the ball is rebounded so the other team doesn't get a "free" pass to midcourt or beyond, plus since it is off of a rebound it is more of a scramble play as the team cannot use one of its set plays when inbounding. If the guy makes a three-quarter court heave, so be it, I'd rater take my chances against that happening than give a team a free pass out of bounds and allow them to get a better (closer) shot. It was the right percentage play IMO.

Fa11en
    Fa11en's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3898

It was 100% the correct play

Brooklyn Dick
    Brooklyn Dick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22133

Anybody that disagrees with this should quit gambling. Remember Christian Lettner?

The player would have to first GET the rebound. Then turn and heave it up. About 1,000 -1 to hit the rim, let alone make it or even get it off before the buzzer.
    Last edited by Brooklyn Dick; 03-29-14 at 07:30 AM.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    No, it was the right call because the clock starts when the ball is rebounded so the other team doesn't get a "free" pass to midcourt or beyond, plus since it is off of a rebound it is more of a scramble play as the team cannot use one of its set plays when inbounding. If the guy makes a three-quarter court heave, so be it, I'd rater take my chances against that happening than give a team a free pass out of bounds and allow them to get a better (closer) shot. It was the right percentage play IMO.
    With less than a second on the clock, fine. There was 1.4 or 1.6 seconds left and it gave the UVA player time to rebound, dribble uncontested (for fear of fouling during the act of shooting a 3) and heaving up a shot to win. As a coach, you take the decision that takes losing on the play off the table. Everything still has to be executed by the players. And as I said, of all the possible outcomes on the line, the worst possible scenario (missing the rim on the intentional miss) is in play.

It's an interesting situation and everyone is entitled to how they would play it. I guarantee the board would be lit up with hate posts towards Izzo for telling his kid to purposely miss the FT if he canned the heave. Interesting Game Theory though.
    Last edited by El Nino; 03-29-14 at 07:56 AM. Reason: sp

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

I pushed which did piss me off. Only thing I will say is that Izzo out coached other guy. They had no idea that was going to happen(not that they could do much with the time) the rebound came the guy travels and then heaves. I was thinking hit the shot but of course I did I wanted to cover. Now that I look it over it was a good call in that spot.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by WeinketoWarrick View Post
    Izzo is a huge bitch but gets a pass for it because he's had success. Same with Coach K.
    That is the dumbest thing I've read at SBR in quite some time.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Izzo wouldn't have instructed Harris to miss if UVA had any timeouts left, which they didn't, or if there was more than two seconds left on the clock, which there wasn't. The only way the Hoos would've been able to stop, reset and have a chance to do anything other than chuck a desperation 60 foot off-balance heave was after a made FT.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    take the ML
    this. Ive been burned so many times by the spread anytime i take a favorite now and its a or 2 or 3 spread i go with ML

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by WeinketoWarrick View Post
    Wait until Izzo finds out that UConn ain't a one trick pony tomorrow, if they double down on Napier, UConn has options.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

go watch bryce drews shot and you will understand why it was the correct strategy.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Wait until Izzo finds out that UConn ain't a one trick pony tomorrow, if they double down on Napier, UConn has options.
    I highly doubt one of the greatest short-rest coaches in NCAA Tournament history will be taken aback by anything UConn does, but I guess we'll have to see.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Still rather my guy make it, and make it almost as hard a shot just to tie instead of potentially a complete disaster

Also you wanna get the cover of all your fans and alumni that bet on you

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    go watch bryce drews shot and you will understand why it was the correct strategy.
    Yes it was more likely to hit coming from out of bounds, but it gives you overtime worst case scenario.....If they somehow hit after the miss you lose and become a goat in the history books

TheMoneyShot

I have rethought this over... not from a wagering standpoint but from a coaching standpoint.

You're up by 2 with your guy at the free throw line. Last free throw. He makes it... you're up by 3. A 3 pointer ties you. Doesn't beat you.

You tell your guy to intentionally miss a free throw when you know the other team only has time to take a 3 and... if that 3 goes... it beats you? Doesn't make any sense. Izzo did it for Vegas. I don't care what anyone says.

You clearly go up 3 with your best free throw guy at the line. You don't tell him to miss it.

If you look at the replay... after the miss... not saying it was the "best" look for a bomb... but let me put it this way... way to good of a look than even what Izzo anticipated. Still need a miracle. But coaching 101 teaches you.... if you're up by 1 point... you miss the free throw. If you're up by 2 points... you make the free throw. A 3 can only tie you... you can live with that. In this particular instance a 3 would of beat you. Like I said before... Izzo is a bitch.

Fa11en
    Fa11en's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3898

If you had to give a probability
    1. of that 3 going in
    2. an imbounded 3 going in

what would they be? rough estimate

MiDNiTe
    MiDNiTe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5520

how much times in last year have you seen a guy get a inbound pass and make the 3 quite a few times for me was right call and as if izzo did it for veagas for what 10-100k? For a chance for his rep to be forever tainted

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

With one second left, virginia was likely shooting a 3pt shot either way. May as well make it a rushed, full court shot vs. A set play, even if at worst it's for a tie instead of a win.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

Good game plan, STRATEGY!

12 Last