Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

any suspected fixes tonight?

Hench
    Hench's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Why on earth would you continue to bet on a sport where you think there is fixing/point shaving?

Hench
    Hench's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    any suspected fixes tonight?
    Pacers at home. Take the ML.

brewers7
    brewers7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4441

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    FACT?
    Can you prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the CCNY scandal was not a fix job.
    Fact, you want fact?
    Ed Warner admitted to shaving.
    Can't get more factual then that.

Here, read this about Sherman White

Point shaving scandal[edit]

Eddie Gard had been contacted by Salvatore Sollazzo, the man responsible for operating the point shaving scandals at several New York City schools between the late 1940s and 1951 (City College of New York, Manhattan College, New York University and Long Island University).[2][7] Sollazzo was a 45-year old jeweler and gambler who had spent five years in prison during the 1930s.[2] Gard's family was poor and he did not want to give up a steady income of cash, which amounted to $1,000 per player per thrown game.[7] The original LIU players involved were Gard, Bigos and Feurtado. Eventually White and LeRoy Smith joined.
    Toward the end of White's junior season he had participated in two fixes. The first was an 83–65 loss to Cincinnati, and the other was the first round in the 1950 NIT. Syracuse beat LIU 80–52, although White admitted that they were beaten soundly enough that the fix did little to decide the outcome.[2]
    In the early stages of the 1950–51 season, LIU players won several games that were kept close on purpose to mess up the point spreads:[2]

• December 2 – Favored by 7½ points over Kansas State (won by one, 60–59)
    • December 7 – Favored by 4 over Denver (won by two, 58–56, in double overtime)
    • December 25 – Favored by 11 over Idaho (won by two, 59–57)
    • January 4 – Favored by 8 over Bowling Green (won by six, 69–63)

Suspicions slowly began to arise that something awry was going on, not only with the Long Island Blackbirds men's basketball team, but also with the other prominent New York City programs. CCNY were losing games they were supposed to win, as were NYU and Manhattan. The public did not speak outwardly about their suspicions, although police were already conducting an investigation.
    Sherman White, along with teammates Bigos and Smith, disregarded Sollazzo's intended fix for a game played on January 16 against Duquesne. The three combined for 64 points as the Blackbirds downed the Dukes, 84–52.[2] Sollazzo supposedly lost a $30,000 bet because of it and threatened White for it to never happen again.[2]
    Getting caught[edit]

On February 18, several CCNY players that had just gotten off of a train at Penn Station after playing in Philadelphia that night were arrested. Police and detectives had researched and followed the previous several years' games and the CCNY players, respectively, that led to their arrests.[2] Two days later, police arrested Sherman White at the Carlton YMCA in Brooklyn. White later said, "I knew it was a matter of time. I was in a fog. As far as I was concerned, my life was shot."[2] Bigos and Smith were also arrested that day.[3]
    Aftermath[edit]

White being led through felony court by a detective.

As soon as White was arrested, he gave back the $5,500 he had saved in an envelope that he kept in his room. He was forced to miss the last few games of the season, and at that time he was averaging 27.7 points per game and was the nation's leading scorer. He was only 77 total points from setting the new NCAA single season scoring record. When his career came to an abrupt halt, White had scored 1,435 points.[6] On February 19, 1951—the day before his arrest—White was named the The Sporting News' Player of the Year.[3] The only reason that he was still able to accept the honor was because The Sporting News had already mailed out their newest issue and it was too late to recall the magazine.[4] Although he had been a Consensus Second Team All-American the year before, and was on track to be named a Consensus First Team All-American (and, probably, the Consensus National Player of the Year) as a senior, the NCAArefused to allow any awards or recognition to be bestowed upon any of the schools, players and coaches found to be involved in the match-fixing scandal that rocked college basketball in the late 1940s into 1951.[4] LIU shut down its entire athletic program from 1951 to 1957 as a result of the scandal.[6][8]
    Judge Saul Streit presided over the entire case involving all of the schools.[3] When deciding all of the players' fates, Streit was noticeably hard on White.[2][4]Although Eddie Gard was the primary catalyst for LIU's involvement in the gambling and point shaving, White was the only player from Long Island University to be handed more than a suspended sentence.[3] While five other players indicted from LIU got off relatively easily, White was handed a 12-month sentence to serve in Rikers Island, the main prison in New York City typically used for rehabilitation of hardened criminals (he ended up serving 8 months and 24 days).[2][4][9] Additionally, he and all of the other players involved in the scandal were banned from ever playing in the NBA. White recalled his feelings of the stiff sentence handed down by Judge Streit:
    "To this day, I believe there was some kind of collaboration between my lawyer and the prosecution. Riker's [sic] Island was supposed to have been built for rehabilitation, but it was the worst place in the world for a kid to try and straighten out his life. I often wonder why I never came out of there a criminal. With all the characters and perverts I met, it certainly would have been the easy way to go."[4]
    Years later, White, along with others, wondered if racism played a role in the harsh punishment. However, White admitted that he did not possess the necessary respect or humility in the courtroom that was probably necessary for the situation.[2][4][9]
    The man who started the whole gambling scandal, Salvatore Sollazzo, served 12 years in prison and was handed a $1,128,493 lien for evasion of taxes.[10] One positive thing to come of the scandal, a journalist for TIME wrote in the March 5, 1951 issue, was the awareness of how much influence the game had over gambling and illicit money-making ventures, which got the ball rolling to clean not just college basketball, but all college sports across the country.[10]

SUPER BOWL III
    Rigged
    Why? Because the NFL stood to lose a gazillion dollars in TV revenue if the NFL dominated the AFL again.
    Merger of the two leagues was on the table, TV deal would have probably been killed if Colts dominated as the AFL would never been accepted.
    Bubba Smith is on record as saying his QB, Earl Morrel took major money under the table to take a dive, as the league, as well as each and every owner stood to make millions with a Colt win. There was too much on the table, without the Colt win, the modern day NFL would have never existed.

The NBA front office rigged the Patrick Ewing draft lottery

Did Michael Jordan 'retire' from the NBA in his prime because he wanted to play baseball?
    What did Jordan mean when he said, "if Stern allows me to play in the league again I'll come back?"

How come Andeerson Hunt, by far the best guard in NCAA never got a sniff from the NBA in 1990's
    Could it be he threw games, has been photographed in hot tubs with notorious sports fixers, etc. etc.

How many examples do I need to site here?

Lighting techs at the Super Dome in New Orleans are on record as saying it was no accident that the lights went dark in last years SB.
    Reason? League was desperate to get the game more respectable, they feared sponsors, league, etc, was going to lose a lot of money with viwers tuning out.
    League ordered that black out.

What about the Seahawk SB?
    Could the refs, the best in the business yet, be that inept to make those five glaring obvious mistakes?

Earl Monroe of the Knicks once put the ball in the wrong bucket with 00:01 left on the clock in a 7 point game, to make the game five, when the spread was 6.5

I can go all day here dude.

If you actually read my posts, you know I said that point shaving incidents do happen from time to time in college basketball...No getting around that...

Ahhh, yeah, CCNY in the 1940s...Again, we are talking about point shaving in NCAAB...How about bringing up something of significance in the last 40 or 50 years?...How about ONE Professional sports example in North American sports?...

Everything you brought up starting with "SuperBowl III" are urban legends...No proof, no evidence whatsoever of a "fixed" game anywhere...

The NFL ordered a blackout?...And of course not a shred of evidence there...Just who did the NFL "order that blackout" from?...Is that like ordering room service?...Who took "the order" from the NFL to have that blackout"?...

What number was called, 1-800-NFL-FIXX?...

PERSON #1: "Hello, City of New Orleans Power Company, how can I help you?"...

CALLER: "Yeah, this is Roger Goodell calling from the NFL and I need you to create a blackout at the SuperDome immediately, please"...

PERSON #1: "Uh, what? Are you kidding me?...

CALLER: "Baba-Booey"...

Hilarious....Absolutely hilarious what people will believe...

Next thing you will tell me is that aliens are fixing games or that the JKF assassination was a conspiracy and not one man acting alone or that the World Trade Towers were brought down by Dick Cheney controlling the planes from a White House bunker after the government rigged both buildings with thousands of explosives for "demolition"...Oh yeah, and it was a missile, not a plane that hit the Pentagon...

I can go on all day here...
    Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 06-17-15 at 11:49 AM. Reason: image does not exist

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

I guess nobody saw Broncos Shaven for a Sandi backdoor cover........

Which made all offered Charger ATS lines a winnin ticket........

konck
    Listen the toilet is flushing
    konck's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2311

The one thing you can count on 100% is when the Human element is involved in ANY form of gambling cheating will be attempted at some point

JayMoney24_7
    JayMoney24_7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1266

Game fixing is definitely real. Point shaving happens alot too. Not just in one sport, in all of them. The worst in America by far though are the NBA and the NFL. Atleast in boxing you can KO someone and make sure the judges don't manufacture a win. In baseball you can't just easily tack on 2 more points. It's a slow paced game. In basketball and football the momentum of scoring makes it easier to quickly add on 42 points in a quarter to miraculously cover spreads and win games. The motives and the perps are as different as their generic responses as to why they lost are at the end of the game. Sometimes it's the players, sometimes the refs, sometimes a rich outsider's influence, or even the league for tv contract ratings. At this point I just accept it as part of the game. Knowing how to pick a side is more about knowing which side has more reason to fix a game imo. Money is usually the motive. To deny fixing happens in sports is to be either naive or stupid. The great thing for athletes is that it is impossible to prove. I mean you can't prove that a player's sudden mishaps and lack of effort is point shaving. You can suspect it, but you can't prove it. Only way they get caught is when they are dumb enough to leave a paper trail, or talk too much and get reported by a bitter ex-gf or something.
    Last edited by JayMoney24_7; 01-18-14 at 02:02 PM.

First 123