ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

How good can Canada's Olympic/National Basketball team be by 2016?

Yeah, USA team will always be better, but after watching the u19 with the glaring absence of Wiggins, I started to think about who they have coming up. There was a pipeline established by Barnes at UT probably 5 years ahead of everyone else, although - many of the best ones go elsewhere, a legit talent base has emerged from Canada.

Andrew Wiggins projected as next LeBron and no. 1 pick next year, and I believe it (KU)
    Anthony Bennett No. 1 overall player this year to Cavs (UNLV)

- Canada will most likely have the two no. 1 players in the NBA draft in consecutive years.

Tristan Thompson - 4th overall on Cleveland Cavs (Texas)
    Kelly Olynk - 13th overall this year on Celtics (Gonzaga)
    Andrew Nicholson - 19th overall to Orlando
    Joel Anthony - Miami (UNLV)
    Kory Joesph - Spurs (Texas)
    Kris Joesph - Nets (Syracuse)
    Andy Routins - Knicks (Syracuse)
    Robert Sacre - Lakers (Gonzaga)

Colleges currently (That I believe will get a shot in the league)

Khem Birch - UNLV (Already projected on all mock drafts)
    Myck Kabongo - Texas (decent guard, needs to improve a lot, has the size to get a look)
    Nik Stauskas - Michigan (insane shooter, very fun player to watch)
    Tyler Ennis - Syracuse (A very good PG, IMO - I would call him one of the better ones in college currently)

Sim Bullar - New Mexico St. (I spaced this, because he is absolutely my favorite non-Arizona player, dude is awesome.)

Kyle Wiltjer - UK (but is transferring because he couldn't get time on the court)
    Xavier Rathan-Mayes - Florida St. (Best player for Canada on the floor today - very good prospect)

High School standouts (besides Wiggins)

Trey Lyles - 4th Overall in 2014 - Very very good prospect big man - NBA talent.
    Justin Jackson - 8th overall in 2014 - Another very good swingman prospect for Canada - NBA size.

I could most likely go on, but that is just a quick reference.

Point being, they will most likely have the most NBA talent on their team, aside from USA. That has a few of the bigger names that are being pointed to as the future of the NBA. Canada will no likely be an afterthought in World Basketball.

Still, good luck stopping 'Bron or 'Durant or..... the list is endless.

JT OZ
    JT OZ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Stumbled across this the other day and meant to comment, the U.S. college team losing to Canada reminded me of it. Should all of those guys participate it could be quite a roster and with Spain/Argentina already aging they should be the top competition to the U.S.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 284

We have Lebron and Kobe and also Howard. These three can beat any team in the world at any time.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by JT OZ View Post
    Stumbled across this the other day and meant to comment, the U.S. college team losing to Canada reminded me of it. Should all of those guys participate it could be quite a roster and with Spain/Argentina already aging they should be the top competition to the U.S.
    That USA team was a goddamn embarrassment. I don't even know how they decided the roster on that. There are multiple high-major teams this year that will have more talent on their roster.

But I am extraordinarily biased towards several of the kids taken. Payne was a very good choice though.

Ratpack
    Ratpack's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1753

yeah probably not in 2016 cause the guys will only be 22-24 but in 2020 when those guys will be in their prime and filled out body wise(no homo) the Canadian team should really be a threat.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by Ratpack View Post
    yeah probably not in 2016 cause the guys will only be 22-24 but in 2020 when those guys will be in their prime and filled out body wise(no homo) the Canadian team should really be a threat.
    They could medal in 2016, which is an insane leap for them.

Nobody will ever get gold during the Olympics if USA fields their best team.

But it is amazing how this has seemingly come out of nowhere. And that is coming from me, who is obsessed with this shit.

It was just a joke about the Canadian pipeline to Texas a few years back. The reality is no joke.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1668

Just need more ghetto's in the GTA and Canada will be getting gold in the future.

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6393

Kevin Pangos, also from Gonzaga, is Canadian. Some say hes the next Steve Nash