daneault23
    daneault23's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4955

Sports Statistician Internships/Opportunities...

Anyone know of any? I have one year left before I graduate with my degree in Stats and am looking for internships for this summer(yes I know probably too late), or at least in the near future. Have applied to the SJ Giants (SF Giants A team) and am looking at a few other sports teams in the area. Anyone have any advice or can give me any direction on the matter?

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

I'd have no idea where to even start, but I hope this turns into a useful thread, something I'd definitely want to look into.

daneault23

I saw a perfect one in Boston for the fall for a pro sports team (didnt' say which one), but I can't leave school so that's a bummer. Looking at 49ers, Giants, Sabercats (arena league team) etc, but no luck as of yet. :

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Majoring in stats.. Unreal

sneakerhead
    I NEED MONEY
    sneakerhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeem5 View Post
    Majoring in stats.. Unreal
    Deemer, u wont get it

Stick to Community College

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I have a very good friend who is working with a college team with similar qualifications.

He basically had to volunteer his time, and do amazing work in that time, to even get considered. He didn't even get the gig in where he worked for free, but he used it as a launching pad to his current gig, which he loves.

Unfortunately, I also have childhood friend who also went to school for this subject matter, and is working as a HS Teacher. Comparitively, he is a genius, who is as passionate about stats as it gets (has written a few blog articles absolutely destroying KenPom). It's an interesting world, one in which I wish I was aware of when I was talking classes in college. Game Theory being among them.

Anyway, your best shot is with local colleges.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Why is someone who computes stats in a sports game called a statistician? Id assume anyone who watched basketball for a few years can do it with no form of schooling. A statistician in the math world and a guy who clicks +1 next to a players name is completely different.

daneault23

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    I have a very good friend who is working with a college team with similar qualifications.

He basically had to volunteer his time, and do amazing work in that time, to even get considered. He didn't even get the gig in where he worked for free, but he used it as a launching pad to his current gig, which he loves.

Unfortunately, I also have childhood friend who also went to school for this subject matter, and is working as a HS Teacher. Comparitively, he is a genius, who is as passionate about stats as it gets (has written a few blog articles absolutely destroying KenPom). It's an interesting world, one in which I wish I was aware of when I was talking classes in college. Game Theory being among them.

Anyway, your best shot is with local colleges.
    Interesting. Your friend that works with the college team now, what did he do when volunteering and does he do stats with that team full time now? Yes Im in the process of trying to get in touch with some colleges in my area (specifically the one I go to lol) and seeing if any opportunities are available.

daneault23

[QUOTE=UntilTheNDofTimE;18751646]Why is someone who computes stats in a sports game called a statistician? Id assume anyone who watched basketball for a few years can do it with no form of schooling. A statistician in the math world and a guy who clicks +1 next to a players name is completely different.[/QUOTE Sports statisticians also can be involved with coming up with the best lineup for a given situation, how likely someone is going to succeed at this given instant etc. It's not just saying Lebron got another rebound and 2 more points. Although, they do that too lol.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

[QUOTE=daneault23;18751674]
    Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    Why is someone who computes stats in a sports game called a statistician? Id assume anyone who watched basketball for a few years can do it with no form of schooling. A statistician in the math world and a guy who clicks +1 next to a players name is completely different.[/QUOTE Sports statisticians also can be involved with coming up with the best lineup for a given situation, how likely someone is going to succeed at this given instant etc. It's not just saying Lebron got another rebound and 2 more points. Although, they do that too lol.
    Although sports statisticians get paid well isnt that type of work being like if you were Goodwill Hunting smart but spent your time as a janitor? I know some stats guys that are very bright. To go through all that education to count stats and make suggestions based on relatively simplistic data seems like a waste of what your potential could be. I could be wrong though.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by daneault23 View Post
    Interesting. Your friend that works with the college team now, what did he do when volunteering and does he do stats with that team full time now? Yes Im in the process of trying to get in touch with some colleges in my area (specifically the one I go to lol) and seeing if any opportunities are available.
    I don't know exactly. He got an in, because he knew that statician on staff, and most likely just assisted him until finding his current gig.

He was my go to guy last year when trying to figure out how to incorporate efficiency numbers in basketball to my capping.

coop
    coop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

do you mean like an analytics guy? or is 'sports statistician' a thing?

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

Mean regression lines, variance, standard deviation (which is the square root of variance), probability and odds computing using Monte Carlo simulations, confidence intervals, moving averages.....it's all relative.

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

By stats I hope you mean advanced stats, like sabremetrics. No point in getting into a dying field, it's all about advanced stats now

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

do your own stats

pick winners

bang dimes

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    do you mean like an analytics guy? or is 'sports statistician' a thing?
    LOL. I was assuming he was talking about a proactive attack of stats, meaning the advanced stats/scouting.

If this guy went to school to write a box score.... I do indeed want fries with that.

daneault23

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    Mean regression lines, variance, standard deviation (which is the square root of variance), probability and odds computing using Monte Carlo simulations, confidence intervals, moving averages.....it's all relative.
    Yes, that's basic stats knowledge. I'm talking about more advanced stats work.

daneault23

Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    do your own stats

pick winners

bang dimes
    That's the plan yo

daneault23

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    LOL. I was assuming he was talking about a proactive attack of stats, meaning the advanced stats/scouting.

If this guy went to school to write a box score.... I do indeed want fries with that.

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

Quote Originally Posted by daneault23 View Post
    Anyone know of any? I have one year left before I graduate with my degree in Stats and am looking for internships for this summer(yes I know probably too late), or at least in the near future. Have applied to the SJ Giants (SF Giants A team) and am looking at a few other sports teams in the area. Anyone have any advice or can give me any direction on the matter?
    I hear there's a team called deeznuts from the bay area, you should also check out the "power bottoms" they might have an opening for you

daneault23

Quote Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
    I hear there's a team called deeznuts from the bay area, you should also check out the "power bottoms" they might have an opening for you
    Oh really? Are they sponsored by urmomslobsonmyknob? I think I've heard of them

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

When you speak of advanced stats....what are we talking here?

Sabermetrics like WAR and all that other junk or general math advanced statistics?

daneault23

Not really all that related, but I got an internship as a Sports Analyst at sidelinesapp.com. It's a new website where people talk about all sports (similar to SBR's Players Talk) except most people there take the time to write out somewhat thoughtful longer-than-3-word responses to topics. So far so good, it's pretty cool. Oh yeah I'll still be here since I just became a pro again.