stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Ovechkin says the fix was in for the NY Rangers

Washington Capitals left wing Alex Ovechkin took exception with the way the officials handled his team's seven-game playoff series with New York -- a series that ended Monday with the Rangers capturing Game 7.

"The refereeing ... you understand it yourself. How can there be no penalties at all (on one team) during the playoffs?" Ovechkin said in Russian (the interview was translated by Slava Malamud, a longtime writer who has covered Ovechkin). "I am not saying there was a phone call from (the league), but someone just wanted Game 7. For the ratings. You know, the lockout, escrow, the league needs to make profit.

"I don't know whether the refs were predisposed against us or the league," he said. "But to not give obvious penalties (against the Rangers), while for us any little thing was immediately penalized."

In Game 7, the Capitals had 14 penalty minutes to four for the Rangers. Both teams had two power-play opportunities but didn't score. For the series, Washington had 74 penalty minutes and the Rangers had 40 -- though in the last three games, Washington registered 36 penalty minutes compared to just 12 for the Rangers.

The penalty disparity didn't translate directly to goals, however, as Washington scored three power-play goals in the series and New York scored two.

In the playoffs, Ovechkin scored just one goal (in Game 1) and had one assist (in Game 2). He was blanked in the last five games despite having 18 shots on goal. Ovechkin led the NHL with 32 goals during the regular season.

Ovechkin and the Capitals are now 2-5 in seventh games since 2008. They have lost in the conference semifinals three times and the conference quarterfinals twice in the past five years -- four of those five losing in the seventh game.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

This is at least 2 days old, Nasher. Was all over ESPN.

stevenash

^
    I get that, I never got anybody's reaction.
    He's right you know, all pro sports are full of shit.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: retard

Bluedragon
    Bluedragon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 531

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    ^
    I get that, I never got anybody's reaction.
    He's right you know, all pro sports are full of shit.
    how so brother?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

The Rangers were the least penalized (in terms of # of penalties, 4th least amount of PIM's), most disciplined team all season long. Ovechkin is a crybaby who cannot close in the clutch. They were too reliant on their Power Play in the first series and down the stretch of the regular season. Holtby wasn't extremely clutch and Henrik was. There were some ticky tack calls against the Caps throughout the series, but they also took a ton of stupid, needless penalties that cost them leads. It's now revealed that Ovechkin played with a fractured foot. The Rangers took Ovie out of the Caps game plan and did an outstanding job.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedragon View Post
    how so brother?
    The Ewing draft lottery, the Seattle/Pitt Super Bowl, Duran's "no mas" fight, Earl Monroe putting the ball in the wrong basket on a layup yet with 2 seconds left to sink a NYK line back in the day.

I can site examples until my fingers bleed, like the CCNY scandal of the 50's, Black Sox, want to talk horse racing now?

Bluedragon
    Bluedragon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 531

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    The Ewing draft lottery, the Seattle/Pitt Super Bowl, Duran's "no mas" fight, Earl Monroe putting the ball in the wrong basket on a layup yet with 2 seconds left to sink a NYK line back in the day.

I can site examples until my fingers bleed, like the CCNY scandal of the 50's, Black Sox, want to talk horse racing now?
    i wasn't debating the statement but ya there's some stuff goin' on with those examples