No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Why are NBA players never linked to PED's?

Rampant in other professional sports, but these guys are supposedly squeaky clean? Are you telling me that LeBron hasn't dabbled? Or Kobe -- who is suddenly 35 going on 24 -- isn't sucking down antler spray right now?

pokerlegend2
    pokerlegend2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 116

I believe the majority of the players are clean.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1824

Why would the league want to suspend Lebron or Kobe?

Just bad business.

Since there's no outcry from the general public and media it is all swept under the rug.

Antwon1825
    Antwon1825's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Why would the league want to suspend Lebron or Kobe?

Just bad business.

Since there's no outcry from the general public and media it is all swept under the rug.
    ^^^ this guy is right.

bjb7223
    bjb7223's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8985

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Rampant in other professional sports, but these guys are supposedly squeaky clean? Are you telling me that LeBron hasn't dabbled? Or Kobe -- who is suddenly 35 going on 24 -- isn't sucking down antler spray right now?

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

cause it doesnt matter how big they are, they only talk shit they actually dont fight or get rough only talk tough its the way of the NBA who cares how big they are

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell88 View Post
    cause it doesnt matter how big they are, they only talk shit they actually dont fight or get rough only talk tough its the way of the NBA who cares how big they are
    If you think taking PED's is just about getting "bigger"....

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

Turkoglu is suspended for them right now isn't he? I'm sure there are a bunch of players using something.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9776

didnt you hear? they are just big black dudes, only the whites are on the roids

It is wild how nobody in the nba ever gets caught with anything

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

The ped tests are skewed by all the marijuana in their systems.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    The ped tests are skewed by all the marijuana in their systems.

Mitchell88
    Mitchell88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

come on opie we all know that was "doctor prescribed" just like aderall

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

getting bigger doesnt mean you will shoot the ball better

getting bigger in mlb means more home runs

nba is more of a skill game than baseball

baseball is all power

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by vyomguy View Post

baseball is all power
    PED's aren't just about power though vyom. They help with endurance, getting over injuries quicker, etc.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

baseball is all power

simple physics. 1/2MV(squared)

Transfer of kinetic energy. PED increases "power" by allowing these guys to swing the bat much faster. So the result of taking PED's will be much more noticeable in games like baseball, golf, tennis and to a less extent, football. However, the advantage gained in basketball would be minimal and mainly coming in the form of increased recovery time.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Yes it was. Thanks for the link k.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    However, the advantage gained in basketball would be minimal and mainly coming in the form of increased recovery time.
    You don't think that's a huge part of being a professional athlete?

Hell, I honestly believe that's why most athletes take PED's -- not necessarily to get bigger, but to improve endurance and ability to recover quicker from injury and/or fatigue.

The Kraken

Oh absolutely, we agree on that. But IMO, that's the biggest advantage gained by a basketball player taking PED's. at least in other sports, they get that plus an improvement in their skills and game, and not just related to the increased recovery time. Like vyom was saying, baseball guys hit more hr's and for better average and this is because increased hand speed, directly linked to the PED's. this wouldnt really benefit Kobe. It just seems basketball players have less to gain by taking them than guys that play other sports but not nothing to gain, just less.

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    You don't think that's a huge part of being a professional athlete?

Hell, I honestly believe that's why most athletes take PED's -- not necessarily to get bigger, but to improve endurance and ability to recover quicker from injury and/or fatigue.
    PED's doen't really help in on-court performace. Thats why nobody talks about it in basketball.

But in baseball, it makes a HUGE difference in on-field performance. Thats why people talk about it.

You need to look at on-court performance improvement versus off-court improvements.

People dont care how quickly kobe recovers from injury...but they care how he performs on the court. PEDs doesnt help there.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Oh absolutely, we agree on that. But IMO, that's the biggest advantage gained by a basketball player taking PED's. at least in other sports, they get that plus an improvement in their skills and game, and not just related to the increased recovery time. Like vyom was saying, baseball guys hit more hr's and for better average and this is because increased hand speed, directly linked to the PED's. this wouldnt really benefit Kobe. It just seems basketball players have less to gain by taking them than guys that play other sports but not nothing to gain, just less.
    So explain the rampant use among pitchers? Or cyclists?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

PED's doen't really help in on-court performace. Thats why nobody talks about it in basketball.

But in baseball, it makes a HUGE difference in on-field performance. Thats why people talk about it.

You need to look at on-court performance improvement versus off-court improvements.

People dont care how quickly kobe recovers from injury...but they care how he performs on the court. PEDs doesnt help there.
    Did you read the article k13 linked vyom?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Anything that compromises the integrity of the game and gives you an unfair advantage in any way, shape or form over the competition is wrong -- whether that means you're bigger and stronger or you've improved your endurance and ability to recover from injury.

I'm not willing to dismiss it with NBA players just because they haven't ballooned up like Barry Bonds.

The Kraken

Because arm speed is crucial in velocity and movement. At least scientifically. And PED's improve arm speed. I also think pitchers need more recovery time after throwing 100 pitches than a basketball player would need after playing a game. I played both basketball and baseball and even in high school after pitching a game, my arm or shoulder would be sore a day or two. On the other hand I could play bball all day and night 6 nights a week.

but I see your original point and would be surprised if it came out one day that most basketball guys are using some sore of PaeD's. anytime this much money is on the line people look for every advantage.

Pabinator
    Pabinator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 74

People are ignorant thats why. Look how long it took people to admit the baseball heroes were taking, people like Rick Barry would protect Bonds for years on the radio saying he seen Bonds work ethic, crap crap crap.....

But your right they wont bust people like Lebron, can you imagine if Lebron was caught, basketball would go upside down

Shafted69
    Green Shoots 2021
    Shafted69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1693

Rashard Lewis was suspended for PED's a few years back

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Because arm speed is crucial in velocity and movement. At least scientifically. And PED's improve arm speed. I also think pitchers need more recovery time after throwing 100 pitches than a basketball player would need after playing a game. I played both basketball and baseball and even in high school after pitching a game, my arm or shoulder would be sore a day or two. On the other hand I could play bball all day and night 6 nights a week.

but I see your original point and would be surprised if it came out one day that most basketball guys are using some sore of PaeD's. anytime this much money is on the line people look for every advantage.
    I have no doubt that it is personally -- I just don't think anything will ever be done about it because no one seems to be interested (short of a big-name guy getting busted, which given the NBA's lack of interest in the truth and protection of its stars, I'd say has less than zero chance of happening).

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

There has been whisper of scandal brewing involving LeBron and a PED clinic in Florida. People I talk to believe their sources. Who knows though.

If it comes out to be true, LeBron fanboys will go off the deep end.

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

its very possible that nba players use PEDS
    look no further than the lakers
    howard less than a year removed from back surgery is playing full time basketball
    kobe in his 16th year, led the league in scoring for much of the year and is his highest fg% as well
    although i doubt either one is doping, people should not dismiss the notion that PEDs do not help nba players

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1824

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    There has been whisper of scandal brewing involving LeBron and a PED clinic in Florida. People I talk to believe their sources. Who knows though.

If it comes out to be true, LeBron fanboys will go off the deep end.
    California/Florida is where its at.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

Check out the acronym for PED and educate yourself before you try to claim that PED's can't help basketball players. Those things turn people into super athletes. Jumping higher, running faster, playing sports for longer, and it makes them a step quicker than the clean athletes. They have roids to help with all kinds of different things, but not all PED's are steroids, and they are not just associated with gaining strength, although who wouldn't benefit from being a little bit stronger playing any sport?

Mr. Peepers
    Mr. Peepers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Dumb post above...are you saying PEDs won't help a hoops guy run faster, jump higher, be more explosive, perform at a higher level day in or day out? If you don't think PEDs won't increase performance in all sports you are wrong.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peepers View Post
    Dumb post above...are you saying PEDs won't help a hoops guy run faster, jump higher, be more explosive, perform at a higher level day in or day out? If you don't think PEDs won't increase performance in all sports you are wrong.
    I think his point is that PED's don't enhance performance with drugs.

Mr. Peepers
    Mr. Peepers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Quote Originally Posted by Pabinator View Post
    People are ignorant thats why. Look how long it took people to admit the baseball heroes were taking, people like Rick Barry would protect Bonds for years on the radio saying he seen Bonds work ethic, crap crap crap.....

But your right they wont bust people like Lebron, can you imagine if Lebron was caught, basketball would go upside down

Would it really send the NBA upside down? Nobody in there right mind can honestly think these thugs are clean...if the whole league was busted it wouldn't matter. People would still go to 0-3 games a yr. League is in trouble regardless. It's a step below the WWE

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

I don't think it's really an issue in the NBA.

Lebron was a freak of nature in high school and Kobe has always been a great player. Also, it's not like we have seen any crazy transformations in the player's physiques like we saw with all the MLB players.

The only real use I could see in basketball is endurance but I think the majority of the league is probably clean as far as PEDs. Weed is another story but who cares.

I've worked out with people that have used PEDs and have a pretty good knowledge of them. If players are using them in the league, it's most likely for endurance purposes.

Lebron's physique doesn't look like someone on roids. He just looks like a big black man with great genetics other than his hair line.

It's not like Kobe is really buff either. He has a rather lean physiques and looks like someone who has been playing basketball for a living 16 straight years.

Look at Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. Do those guys look like they are on roids? I realize you don't have to be huge to be on something (Lance Armstrong) but I don't see all the freakish veins popping out of these guys like you would with all the sknny cyclists that were on them.

123 Last