pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

i understand your point. i feel bad for pagano and am very happy he is back, however do i think he steps back to coach this season if the colts suck? i don't think so and i think it has to do with what was mentioned about the colts playing well helping pagano heal, etc.

if the colts were sucky, i think pagano is more down in the dumps and rather stay home till next year. why rush a comeback when the team blows? get back your strength and come back as normal as possible. i think he rushed a comeback because this team is playing well.

if i was pagano, what i would do is come back to the sideline but as an assistant head coach and let arians coach the rest of the year as the head coach, but that is just me. i would do that because arians should be coach of the year hands down. i can understand him wanting to get back to normal but this is arians team given how well they played under him.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Any selfishness in this situation? Why not let Arians finish this year out since he is the one that turned the team around? Just a thought.
    Maybe it's selfless? With so much at stake, Pagano wants to do everything he can to help the team win.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by late4thegame View Post
    The way I see it is this.....he's the HC, bottom line. He has the right to come back and none of us can judge his heart and motives. That said, I do believe that there are people in this world who have/will use something so deeply moving and serious, to promote themselves. To think otherwise, is being naive. There are some people who can be so selfish no matter
    what the circumstances are. Again, I have no idea as to where Pagano's heart is and I cannot judge his motive. He has the right to be the HC, no matter what the situation is. He should be continued to be prayed for as he may not be out of the woods yet. Cancer is an ugly, ugly thing.
    Are you talking about lance armstrong or pagano? No one believes pagano would do this type of thing.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12025

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    Maybe it's selfless? With so much at stake, Pagano wants to do everything he can to help the team win.

The team was winning just fine without him. Arians 9-3, pagano 2-2 with one of those losses to jacksonville at home

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party

The colts are a 6-10, 7-9 team if pagano coaches the whole season.

Some guys are good at assembling talent, but not great at coaching those guys (And even still, I feel I am giving pagano too much credit because he's only had one offseason and it doesn't take a football guru to know that you draft luck at #1). It happens all the time. Look at notre dame. A lot of those guys playing for the NC were recruited by Charlie Weiss. Very talented football players. But would they be there if Weiss was still coaching?? of course not. So if by some measure Pagano stockpiled talent good for him. Another man came in and coached them up. It's the way the business works.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyburrito View Post
    The team was winning just fine without him. Arians 9-3, pagano 2-2 with one of those losses to jacksonville at home
    Are you seriously suggesting that this Colts team is better off without their head coach? That just sounds goofy.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

If he sat out and they won the Super Bowl he might be on a "permanent break"...dude did the smart thing and got back on that fuckin sideline

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party

Are you seriously suggesting that this Colts team is better off without their head coach? That just sounds goofy.

Ummm yes, are HCs some sort of mystical source of power? Some are good, some are bad. Some teams would be better off without their head coaches (the 2010 vikings come to mind immediately).

I'm basing my opinion off what I see. The Colts were 9-3 under arians. Unless pagano was able to coach from his chemotherapy chair, Arians deserves all the credit. I don't buy for a second that his battle with cancer added any sort of extra motivation to this team. Pagano is 2-2 as the coach. At best he is an unproven commodity, at worst he is not a good head coach. I think he falls somewhere in between. But to say he is the reason this team is 11-5 and heading to the playoffs is completely and utterly laughable

slacker00

Ummm yes, are HCs some sort of mystical source of power? Some are good, some are bad. Some teams would be better off without their head coaches (the 2010 vikings come to mind immediately).

I'm basing my opinion off what I see. The Colts were 9-3 under arians. Unless pagano was able to coach from his chemotherapy chair, Arians deserves all the credit. I don't buy for a second that his battle with cancer added any sort of extra motivation to this team. Pagano is 2-2 as the coach. At best he is an unproven commodity, at worst he is not a good head coach. I think he falls somewhere in between. But to say he is the reason this team is 11-5 and heading to the playoffs is completely and utterly laughable
    I guess you are entitled to your opinion based on him going 2-2. Nevermind he was there through all of the camps and preseason doing critical work of building the character of this team, nevermind he was the choice by the Colts brass to lead this team, but what do they know.

My opinion is that he is the leader of the team throughout this run regardless of who happened to be collecting the official coaching wins while they were going 9-3. Deny it if you like, but the team did rally behind their fallen coach and will continue to do so.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Sean payton is a much better coach and much richer man because he didn't coach a single game during the 2012 nfl season.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

You can't have it both ways. Either pagano was coaching from the hospital or payton's absence was the reason that the saints season was mediocre. Pagano is just trying to keep his job. Health be damned. Sam bowie did the same thing at his trailblazer physical. Lied to get the job.
    Last edited by seaborneq; 01-01-13 at 05:45 PM.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

I guess you are entitled to your opinion based on him going 2-2. Nevermind he was there through all of the camps and preseason doing critical work of building the character of this team, nevermind he was the choice by the Colts brass to lead this team, but what do they know.

My opinion is that he is the leader of the team throughout this run regardless of who happened to be collecting the official coaching wins while they were going 9-3. Deny it if you like, but the team did rally behind their fallen coach and will continue to do so.
    Pagano didnt do shit this season...what do you think he was coaching over the phone from his hospital bed? I guess if you want to add some dramatic shit to a football game to make it more than just a white guy throwin to fast blacks (as the media likes to do) you could say that Pagano having cancer somehow caused his team to play better (win one for the Gipper style) but beyond that he had no effect on the team
    Last edited by bettilimbroke999; 01-01-13 at 05:21 PM.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Pagano didnt do shit this season...what do you think he was coaching over the phone from his hospital bed? I guess if you want to add some dramatic shit to a football game to make it more than just a white guy throwin to fast blacks (as the media likes to do) you could say that Pagano having cancer somehow caused his team to play better (win one for the Gipper style) but beyond that he had no effect on the team
    What do you think, the only work a coach does is pace the sidelines during a game?

All I'm saying is that it shouldn't count against him that he missed time due to illness.

As for Sean Payton, yes he does bear some responsibility for his suspension and the impact on his team.

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Oh my, I can't believe you would think in those terms.

Guy is diagnosed as very serious , very fatal type of cancer and he is thinking about a spotlight?????

Has a family and kids and he is thinking about a spotlight????

Is a coach, a mentor, and has young kids playing for him as well as other coaches and feels as though he has let a team and those young men and families down and he is thinking about a spotlight?????

I can guarantee you that you are way way off on that thought.

It ain't even close.

Honestly, I can't believe you would think that in this scenario.

Not hating, but really stunned at the notion.
    not stunned. there are plenty of kids and idiots on this forum

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Some of the replies were funny. It's a talented team led by a stud QB. My favorite Luck game was when he brought them back against the Lions. When you have a guy who plays with that poise then it really doesn't matter so much who's standing on the sideline wearing a headset, does it?

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by SBR Lou View Post
    Some of the replies were funny. It's a talented team led by a stud QB. My favorite Luck game was when he brought them back against the Lions. When you have a guy who plays with that poise then it really doesn't matter so much who's standing on the sideline wearing a headset, does it?
    I tend to agree. After watching some of the challenge flag stupidity by head coaches this year, I don't think HCs should be able to touch a challenge flag. Give teams a nerd crew of AV geeks that can trigger a flashing light on the field or something if they want to challenge a play, that's who the coach is listening to anyway. Even Mike McCarthy got his butt chewed by Aaron Rodgers last weekend for throwing a challenge flag on an automatic review. Funny stuff.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Arians is the reason they are in the playoffs,

All you have to do is take one look at the steelers accomplishments this season without him..............

Todd Haley

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

If chuckstrong wins this weekend in baltimore I will admit I was way off base with my thinking on pagano coming back to coach this team.

dominator88
    dominator88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

COLTS ML =

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by dominator88 View Post
    COLTS ML =
    A colts win would make this thread moot.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

No Arians. It's all on Chuckstrong. Leave the lights on for Arians, Chuck.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party

Well, surprise!! Surprise!! Pagano is back on the sidelines (sans arians no less) and he loses

I almost launched the controller at the tv when cbs ran a graphic that said:

"First year as head coach for the Indianapolis Colts

Record: 11-5"

11-5? what a fukkin joke. Arians was 9-3. Pagano is 2-2 heading into this game as a coach. He has now lost 60% of the games he has coached in.

Anyone backing his coaching credentials has lost all credibility. Like I said earlier, he's an unproven commodity at best. He's displayed nothing that screams successful head coach yet.

And then there are clowns in this very thread throwing around ESPN buzzwords like "character building" to justify their pro-Pagano stance. It's borderline hilarious reading that shit, because it is simply not quantifiable. I back my arguments with statistics, and the most evident stat is the W-L record. There's no arguing those numbers.

It's a wonderful story. Guy beats cancer. Team plays well in his absence. But those two stories are separate of each other. Those who believe in the causation of a man getting cancer and the team playing well for him as a result bit ESPN's bait hook, line, and sinker. It gets them more clicks on their links and more shares with friends. More telling, this Pagano character isn't adverse to taking the credit for the teams success even though he wasn't around. That tells me the kind of person he is. Congrats Pagano on beating cancer, but you had nothing to do with your team's success. And when given the opportunity to show how great you are without the assistance of arians, you failed. Miserably.

Seaborneq, sharp thread

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

I couldn't have said it better myself stealthy. No hard feelings for chuckstrong, but he just seemed to take all of the credit by texting on the phone.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Defend chuckstrong. Arians probably set it up so chuckstrong could realize who the real coach is.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party

Boy this thread got awfully quiet after today's result

This team regresses to .500 or worse next season with Pagano having a FULL season.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6910

Boy this thread got awfully quiet after today's result

This team regresses to .500 or worse next season with Pagano having a FULL season.
    playoff game that the Colts weren't winning unless the Ravens scored a total of 6 points

AFC is weak, and you hope the Colts don't make the playoffs or someone will bump this thread and make you look stupid

C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

Burrito

I think somebody else hit the nail on the head. There are team builders and then there are tactical coaches. Tony Dungy had an elite team of talent in Tampa but could never ever win in the playoffs. He was an ultra conservative coach that was comically predictable and would get kicked out of the playoffs by Andy Reid of all people.

Gruden was a much better X's and O's guy at putting together a winning game play. Then when he was the coach and Bruce Allen left the talent fell apart and Gruden kept cycling through QB's.

Some guys are better at finding talent, putting people in place and some guys are better at winning games with what you have. GM's vs coaches in a sense.

PS I think head coaching is moving much more to the offensive side of the ball. You will see a wave of more offensive coaches in the future and less defensive.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party

Quote Originally Posted by ThaTopMoron View Post
    playoff game that the Colts weren't winning unless the Ravens scored a total of 6 points

AFC is weak, and you hope the Colts don't make the playoffs or someone will bump this thread and make you look stupid
    That seems fair, but I'm not sweatin this one. One of the easiest predictions to make about the 2013 season.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Defend chuckstrong.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Anybody care to defend chuckstrong now?

First 12