1. #71
    Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-12-08
    Posts: 29,843
    Betpoints: 3374

    Because NBA, NFL, MLB are associated with whites and blacks. Blacks don't give a fukk about hockey at all. Hurt overall market share numbers. NHL took a hit in the US during and after the lock out. Numbers are starting to adjust though.

  2. #72
    Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-08-08
    Posts: 16,105
    Betpoints: 9425

    deuce, i've alwys wondered if hockey is #1 sport in detroit.. i know they love hockey in detroit, but i am not sure because of all the blacks in detroit.. my guess is

    1- football
    2- basketball
    3- hockey
    4- baseball

    am i right? i would love to hear you say hockey is #1..

  3. #73
    TheBeautifulGame
    Y.N.W.A.
    TheBeautifulGame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-26-08
    Posts: 1,289

    I always thought Americans loved hockey. Suppose I should stop assuming that the stereotypes I see in American made films are not always true.

  4. #74
    Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-03-08
    Posts: 19,399

    Playoff hockey is the best

  5. #75
    The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-29-10
    Posts: 2,665

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
    deuce, i've alwys wondered if hockey is #1 sport in detroit.. i know they love hockey in detroit, but i am not sure because of all the blacks in detroit.. my guess is

    1- football
    2- basketball
    3- hockey
    4- baseball

    am i right? i would love to hear you say hockey is #1..
    Nope.
    1.Football
    2.Baseball
    3.Hockey
    4.Basketball

  6. #76
    Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-12-08
    Posts: 29,843
    Betpoints: 3374

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bet Master View Post
    Nope. 1.Football 2.Baseball 3.Hockey 4.Basketball
    Nope

    In 2006 maybe.

    Currently in 2011
    1. Football
    2. Hockey
    3. Baseball
    4. Basketball

  7. #77
    I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-26-11
    Posts: 7,926

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gonzo View Post
    America hates white people.

  8. #78
    ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-23-09
    Posts: 28,255
    Betpoints: 12616

    because the goal should be to score, not skate around like morons and hit and bump into eachother and fight.

    Get the damn fvcking puck and go up the rink and pass to someone open and try to score.

  9. #79
    mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-13-10
    Posts: 1,609
    Betpoints: 15330

    The other thing is not being on ESPN is Huge.You need the ESPN Propaganda Machine to promote your sport and Hockey is almost non exsistent on that network.In fact when i was at the gym yesterday they did not even cut into a taped sportscenter to show the press conference of Atlanta moving to Winnipeg.If it was any of the other big 3 sports had a team move it would been covered big time.

  10. #80
    mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-13-10
    Posts: 1,609
    Betpoints: 15330

    I mean Tuesday at the Gym

  11. #81
    FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-29-10
    Posts: 3,809
    Betpoints: 494

    I am not American but don't especially enjoy watching ice hockey.

    Two main reasons for me:

    1) Even in these days of big screens and HD, tracking the puck isn't easy.
    2) Most of the goals are a result of shots which are deflected off sticks, skates or arms.

    As a bettor, I like the sport. Lots of shots and the scoring has (more or less) a Poisson probability distribution.

  12. #82
    mangina11
    mangina11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-01-10
    Posts: 397

    Media coverage for nhl is not what it needs to be.... 2.5 million tuning in on vs. network is a good start though

  13. #83
    donkdown
    donkdown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-09-09
    Posts: 4,423

    what were ratings for last nights game??

  14. #84
    supr_villn
    the play never changes
    supr_villn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-16-11
    Posts: 990

    not enough blacks ..

  15. #85
    Winnipeg Jets
    Winnipeg Jets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-16-09
    Posts: 1,723
    Betpoints: 1458

    in 50 years when there's no white people left, who's gonna play hockey

    yed ali singh scoressssssssssssss. and ontario muslim nation has won the 2081 stanley cup!!!!!

  16. #86
    marinagmendes
    marinagmendes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-17-11
    Posts: 134

    i dont think americans hate hockey, bit tainted because my family are huge hockey fans

    GO BRUINS!

  17. #87
    stogies
    unfairly banned
    stogies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-24-11
    Posts: 641

    Quote Originally Posted by mangina11 View Post
    Media coverage for nhl is not what it needs to be.... 2.5 million tuning in on vs. network is a good start though
    when was the last time you see fans pickit abc or cbs to show more hockey?

  18. #88
    thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-25-11
    Posts: 22,372
    Betpoints: 6636

    espn is huge in america, the fact that they treat hockey like a 2nd class sport, well that does have a lot to do with it.

  19. #89
    Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-08-08
    Posts: 16,105
    Betpoints: 9425

    i am confused about the popularity in the states for hockey. Bobby Orr, who played for boston in the mid 70's and had a short career, was nominated as the most popular athlete in boston history.. even more than brady, pierce, bird, manny, ted williams, etc.. attendance is much higher in nhl than nba in U.S. also, the previous record for most people out in 1 spot in america is not some rally, or concert.. it was back in 1975 for a flyers parade with 1.5 million.. which was shattered last june when chicago had 2 milliion + people out for their parade, and it was a working day to boot. both records are for hockey...now how come the record is not for any super bowl, world series, or nba parade? this is why i'm confused. with 2 million for hockey out there, you'd think hockey must be big..

    and don't say they were only out to party and get drunk because in montreal, when we last won the cup, we had over 1 million in our parade, and when our CFL team won this year, we only had a few thousand out for the parade.

  20. #90
    blittydeuce
    blittydeuce's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-11-08
    Posts: 5,572
    Betpoints: 1758

    Niiccckkkkaayyyyyyy!!!!!!!

  21. #91
    blittydeuce
    blittydeuce's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-11-08
    Posts: 5,572
    Betpoints: 1758

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
    i am confused about the popularity in the states for hockey. Bobby Orr, who played for boston in the mid 70's and had a short career, was nominated as the most popular athlete in boston history.. even more than brady, pierce, bird, manny, ted williams, etc.. attendance is much higher in nhl than nba in U.S. also, the previous record for most people out in 1 spot in america is not some rally, or concert.. it was back in 1975 for a flyers parade with 1.5 million.. which was shattered last june when chicago had 2 milliion + people out for their parade, and it was a working day to boot. both records are for hockey...now how come the record is not for any super bowl, world series, or nba parade? this is why i'm confused. with 2 million for hockey out there, you'd think hockey must be big..

    and don't say they were only out to party and get drunk because in montreal, when we last won the cup, we had over 1 million in our parade, and when our CFL team won this year, we only had a few thousand out for the parade.
    One of the Lakers parades in LA must have had more people.

  22. #92
    Mr. Jones
    Mr. Jones's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-02-05
    Posts: 942

    1980 Do you believe in miracles? Even that didn't put the game on the USA map in any lasting manner.

    Exceptions: Chicago, NewYork, Detroit, Boston because these are the 4 US original NHL franchises. The rest of New England and the northern plains states because kids grow up playing the game. Rest of the country not so much. They don't hate the game. They just don't care.

  23. #93
    kiln
    Ezekiel 25:17
    kiln's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-29-10
    Posts: 831

    It's a goofy question. Manifestly we don't hate hockey.

  24. #94
    Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-08-08
    Posts: 16,105
    Betpoints: 9425

    Quote Originally Posted by blittydeuce View Post
    One of the Lakers parades in LA must have had more people.
    blitter, i just read wikipedia and philly held the record in U.S. soil with 2 million in 1974 for the flyers parade.. which was tied or beaten by chicago last year. i swear i didn't even know they had 2 million in philly. i think 98% of that whole city back in 74 were there.. if not everyone.. how come no chicago parades with jordan in the 90's or even bears in 85, or any lakers came even close to hockey parades???

    something doesn't add up. i know hockey is not big in U.S, but why no other championship parades come even close..

    blitter, i will be ready for your ball hockey challenge if you're ever in montreal again in 6 or so months.. but not before you cut another 5 feet off that stick.. you might hurt a pedestrian walking, or even worse, you might poke me in the eye and hurt me with that weapon.. i am not chancing it.

  25. #95
    blittydeuce
    blittydeuce's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-11-08
    Posts: 5,572
    Betpoints: 1758

    I was at the parade in Anaheim in 07'. A firetruck drove in front of me with Teemu Selanne. He's a handsome man with those shades on.


    My new stick is even longer than the old one. Current slap shot got clocked in at 87 mph. Matty Rain lives in Toronto now, but I do plan on coming to Montreal again soon. Love those strip clubs.

  26. #96
    dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-28-10
    Posts: 3,855
    Betpoints: 211

    Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    NBA players would play for free.......for the love of the game. Good upstanding citizens. Hard workers. No off-court issues. NHL players are only there for the paycheck. No passion. Oh, and poor character guys. Very soft as well.
    Wrong on so many levels.

  27. #97
    goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-08-09
    Posts: 1,318
    Betpoints: 360

    Like soccer, the games on the international stage mean more than the clubs. We love watching USA play Argentina, Spain, England, Mexico, etc. but don't care about EPL nor MLS.

    See you guys in Socci.

  28. #98
    Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-24-10
    Posts: 25,580
    Betpoints: 2478

    theres no way baseball is more popular than basketball in detroit. as far as playing and watching combined its not even close

  29. #99
    mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 09-13-10
    Posts: 1,609
    Betpoints: 15330

    Like i said earlier Hockey being played in June is Just ridiculous it has been in the 90s on east coast all week and for most of the country Hockey is a winter sport and should be over by at least May.Baseball is the same i watch the season in shifts i love Opening Day and then thats it till Memorial Day and so on.This year i think Hockey is taking a backseat to the nba championship because you have almost like a pro wrestling feel to it you have Lebron James the long time good guy in Cleveland who did a heel turn and left for south beach and now is hated around the country so Dallas as taking on the Good guy role and has the whole country cheering for them just to see the Heat lose so the NBA has a good story line to it where as u have a Canadian based team in the nhl finals and 2 teams most people here dont care about.

  30. #100
    20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-08-07
    Posts: 6,703
    Betpoints: 318

    Nickaaay!!!!!1

    I went to Raleigh to watch a Maple Leaf game and there were more leaf fans in the place than Carolina fans..... American's don't give a shit because half the country wouldn't know why ice is if they didn't use it in their drink. There are very few "American" star hockey players. Boston has more Canadians on their team than Vancouver. This crap about they can't follow a black puck on white is incredible. Yet people will watch golf with a white ball hit into the white cloudy sky and follow it perfectly.

    If the Americans were actually good at the game, they would be all over it, but sadly it's a sport they can't play.

  31. #101
    JR007
    JR007's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-21-10
    Posts: 5,280

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
    i am confused about the popularity in the states for hockey. Bobby Orr, who played for boston in the mid 70's and had a short career, was nominated as the most popular athlete in boston history.. even more than brady, pierce, bird, manny, ted williams, etc.. attendance is much higher in nhl than nba in U.S. also, the previous record for most people out in 1 spot in america is not some rally, or concert.. it was back in 1975 for a flyers parade with 1.5 million.. which was shattered last june when chicago had 2 milliion + people out for their parade, and it was a working day to boot. both records are for hockey...now how come the record is not for any super bowl, world series, or nba parade? this is why i'm confused. with 2 million for hockey out there, you'd think hockey must be big..

    and don't say they were only out to party and get drunk because in montreal, when we last won the cup, we had over 1 million in our parade, and when our CFL team won this year, we only had a few thousand out for the parade.
    Gotta remember Nicky...Boston is a hockey town first and foremost...one of the big six...I am from the area
    also Boston had some pretty bad teams leading up to the Bruins Cup....Bobby Orr was thought off as the saviour back then......many think he was the greatest player ever

  32. #102
    Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-08-08
    Posts: 16,105
    Betpoints: 9425

    tonight's game is the big test. yes, last game was on versus and it was a weeknight and some baseball games were on.. tonight, it's on NBC.. it's sat night. no work tomorrow, it's the weekend.. no NBA game on tonight.. and no baseball games at all tonight.. and nothing at all on tv tonight.. just COPS and other stupid shows...just hockey and on NBC.. i swear, if there ain't at least 18 million tonight watching this game in U.S, i give up.. tonight is hockey's big chance to redeem itself in the U.S.

  33. #103
    sanchez
    sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-02-11
    Posts: 223

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
    game 7.. TB vs BOS.. nothing else on tv.. close to 4 million canadians watch that game.. ONLY 2.5 million americans watched it.. and there are a total of 30 million in canada, and over 300 million in U.S. to boot. and i bet 2 million of the 2.5 million were from boston and TB area. that means only 500k people in all of america watched game 7 of the conf final.. and that includes detroit, minnesota, chicago, philly, etc...where hockey is popular..so bottom line, no one in america watched this game 7.

    i dont get it. why?? why do americans not like hockey? hockey is an exciting sport.. i know black people hate hockey, but how come no whites are watching either.. it's playoffs.. and hockey has tons of hitting, lots of fighting and fast non stop action.. just what americans love in sports. is it because it's a canadian sport and not an american sport?

    my whole life since being a kid, i dreamt of one day hockey would become so big in the states, but i am starting to give up on this. no matter how we improve the game, more goals, more power plays, more fighting, it's just not going to happen. bottom line, americans will never accept hockey.. i just don't know why..

    someone pls tell me why hockey cannot make it in the U.S..
    i love hockey but...

    1) it doesn't translate well to TV like football and bball. it is a little hard to follow the puck

    2) people don't understand the sport

    i wish hockey was more popular, but in the end, who really cares how popular it is? do i wish it got more coverage, sure. but how many other people are watching the same game as me doesn't affect my enjoyment of that game

  34. #104
    20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-08-07
    Posts: 6,703
    Betpoints: 318

    NICKAYYYY are the numbers in..... I watched it on NBC to try and help ya. No CBC hockey for this guy.....

  35. #105
    Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-08-08
    Posts: 16,105
    Betpoints: 9425

    Quote Originally Posted by 20Four7 View Post
    NICKAYYYY are the numbers in..... I watched it on NBC to try and help ya. No CBC hockey for this guy.....
    wow, we think alike,. i swear to god i did the same thing. i put on nbc to help ratings, but you know what, i couldn't take more than 2 min of nbc. man did nbc suck. first, the HD image was shitty. the ice was too bright and not clear and announcer was not that good. i had to go back to CBC because picture was crisp and perfect, smooth and jim hughson is way better. plus nbc was 8 seconds behind cbc. what a diff between cbc and nbc. nbc sucks big time.


    i swear, if nhl ratings on nbc doesn't break a record, i will be pissed. i'ts on nbc, not versus...no nba, no mlb, no big shows like idol, glee, etc.. nothing else on tv... it's sat night and no work the next day and it's the cup finals..i better see good #'s for this one, or i throw in the towel. this was hockey's biggest chance to shine in the spotlight in the usa.

First 1234 Last
Top