Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

IOWA STATE head coach nails 252 out of 253 free throws!!!

Purchase Image Zoom
    Fred Hoiberg, pictured during a game this past season, made 252 of 253 free-throw attempts during the Shots From the Heart contest. / ANDREA MELENDEZ/THE REGISTER

Call him the Mayor of the Charity Stripe.
    “I’m going to put this on my resume, in case this coaching thing doesn’t work out,’’ Iowa State basketball coach Fred Hoiberg told The Des Moines Register on Tuesday after winning Shots From the Heart, a free throw-shooting contest among 64 Division I men’s basketball coaches and a fundraiser for the American Heart Association.

Hoiberg is the winner of Shots From the Heart, a free throw-shooting contest among 64 Division I men’s basketball coaches and a fundraiser for the American Heart Association.

Hoiberg, who was a perfect 25-for-25 in the final, set a lofty standard for his championship opponent, Arizona coach Sean Miller.

Miller, who shot his free throws knowing that Hoiberg hadn’t missed, made his first eight, then missed one.

“Damn, I just lost it,’’ Miller said according to the event’s website. “I’m out.’’

Just to be sure, Miller continued to shoot and made 66 straight. He was officially credited for making 24 of 25 attempts.

The perfect score in the final round gave Hoiberg 252 makes in 253 attempts during the competition. Hoiberg’s only miss ended a streak of 102 consecutive free throws in his shootout with former Iowa coach Steve Alford, now at New Mexico.

Shots From the Heart, sponsored by CollegeInsider.com and designed to help raise awareness to the growing problem of heart disease, also pays tribute to former Wake Forest coach Skip Prosser, who passed away from a heart attack in July of 2007.

Hoiberg underwent open-heart surgery in 2005 to repair a dangerous defect in a major blood vessel. A pacemaker was inserted after some post-surgery complications.

“Coach Hoiberg provided us with a free-throw shooting contest that lasted six months,’’ said Angela Lento, the creator of the Shots From the Heart event. “The goal was to create awareness for heart disease and all those who participated helped to spread the message.

"It’s only fitting that Coach Hoiberg, who has had his own fight with heart disease, would be the champion.’’

triqy
    triqy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

no wonder hes a basketball coach. fundamentals fundamentals fundamentals

tanner40
    tanner40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8060

Old man's still got it

boatboatboat
    what the hell is this?
    boatboatboat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    Purchase Image Zoom
    Fred Hoiberg, pictured during a game this past season, made 252 of 253 free-throw attempts during the Shots From the Heart contest. / ANDREA MELENDEZ/THE REGISTER

he obviously used a BOT

Hoja Verdes
    Broncos Under 7.5 Wins -105
    Hoja Verdes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 169

I played with a guy in highschool that hit close to that percentage with no distractions. Our sophomore year he shot 91% from the line over the course of the season, at one point about 2/3 into the season he was also 64% from behind the arc. Dude was an absolute machine. From the time we were really young, he and his dad would go to the rec center every afternoon after school and he'd shoot like 500 free throws. Only problem was that he had this weird form where he would basically start his shot with the back of his shooting hand on his shoulder. Other teams would figure it out sometimes and put a really fast guy on him so they could block some of his shots by just putting their hand on the ball before he started his motion. Still, dude was ridiculous, i've never ever seen another shooter like him. If he got open and go his feet set, he could hit about 70-75%% from behind the arc.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

He never came close to that really while playing in the NBA, surely fatigue and pressure had something to do with that though.