Originally posted on 08/21/2012:

There are certain teams that particular pitchers just have trouble with.
It's been like that in baseball for ever, Koufax had trouble with the Giants, Yankees has trouble with the Orioles in the late 80's / early 90's, Stasburg has trouble with the Braves.

I know the gaudy numbers just as well as you do. I know all about Strasbug and his 14-5 won loss record. His stellar 2.91 ERA, his tidy 1.13 WH/IP ratio, his alarming 173 strike outs.
You can sit here until 7pm and give my 1000 reasons not to fade the Nationals and Strasburg.

I'll give you seven reasons why I am fading the Nationals with Strasburg.

1) This is the 5th time this season Strasburg starts against Atlanta.
Every start with the exception of June 2, when Stras went 7 solid innings, scattering 4 hits, no earned, Stras has been ugly against the Braves.

2)His last start, July 20, Braves raked him in that 11-10 clusterfuck loss . Braves touched him up for 8 hits, 4 earned, never getting out of the sixth.

3)June 30 , at Turner, Stras never sees the fourth inning, Stras uses 67 pitches in 3 innings, coughing up 3 earned, 4 walks, in a 7-5 loss.

4)May 26, Stras beats Atlanta, but a butt ugly win never the less.
Walks four, gives up six hits, gets yanked after five full, gives up four earned.

5)Not saying the Stras is the Braves bitch, am saying Stras is nothing special to Atlanta.
Uggla hits him hard, McCann does too, so does Heyward.

6) If you bet Stras, you are going to get at best, 2/3rds of your money's worth.
He's now on a very strict innings/pitch count, he won't see the end of the sixth innings,unless he's thrown 52 pitches and working on a perfect game, and even then, Davey might pull him.

7) Mahlom has lived up to all the hype heaped on him five years ago.
Quietly has won 11 games himself this season. He's a very crafty lefty.
His numbers this season are rock solid. 3.39 ERA, solid. His WH/IP ratio is the same (almost) as Stras, rock solid 1.17.
Has struck out 101 himself.
One of the most underrated starters this season.

This is a spot play fellas, wonder boy Stras is not going 33-0 in his 33 starts this season, just like Charlie Morton is not going 0-33 in his 33 starts.
There are spots when the best of the best fail, and the worst of the worst succeed.

This (imo) is one of those spots tonight.

It's a spot play, a value play if you will.
Braves have shown they hit Stras this season, Maholm has shown he can get batters out on a consistent basis this season, and I am getting almost 7:5 odds.

Braves 2*