Originally posted on 06/29/2012:

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
really? That's your reply? Like I said, that was over a decade ago for me. BTW, that guy that was killed was the husband of a girl that I knew from high school. $250K might not seem like a lot but it saved that family.

On to different things now. You know anyone that died or became disabled? I don't know the laws in the US but in Canada if you get disabled the government pays you 75% on your income for 2 years max. And its taxable income. I insured a dentist once and he broke his back skiing and because he purchased disability insurance from me, he got 100% of his income till 65 if he needed. Tax free income to boot. After 5 years he was better but could never practice dentistry again. The key man insurance his practice took out on him and his partners also allowed a lump sum payout to the remaining partners. So I helped save a business and ensured he and his family were financially taken care of. There are hundreds of stories like that every year. The sad ones are the ones that didn't plan for the worst.
Our government does nothing of the sort unless you got injured at work. The insurance companies make many of the laws here. Just ask Andy how much he'd like the government paying people's salaries for two years.

Yeah. You're giving me stories of how insurance helped a few people. Great. The fact of the matter is that insurance companies make money. How do they do that? By overcharging beyond the probability of an event like that actually occurring in someone's life. And for every story that you bring up about it helping someone, I can bring up an example of an insurance company fukking over its client when they needed to use the policy that they paid for.