allsports
    allsports's Avatar Become A Pro!

NFL Football this Year

I like the NY Giants this year. They made some great moves on defense esspecially by getting Demps (S). They can go a long way.... What does everybody think?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

first off, welcome to the sbrforum allsports

I like the giants this year myself, but i'm not convinced that they will be all that dominate as you seem to think.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

I've been watching and following the NYG since someone noted them as a serious favorite that I hadn't considered. I think they can get close, but I have to question their chemistry. I don't like the leadership on that team, and while it's better than it was 5 years ago, there are too many 'chefs' - and that generally causes problems... Especially when a team goes on 'tilt' some (which the Giants did do last year).

I give their O line a bit of credit, they are better than last year, but they are still pretty mediocre or slightly better there.

They sure have the talent - but I really don't like their chemistry. That can develop, though - but historically, teams with that much talent that can't get it together flame out at some point.

Bulldog
    Bulldog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I understand what ** is saying... in a short season bad chemistry could kill you. But if they start the season with a couple of wins I dont think thats gonna be a problem... if they hit a hot streak, watch out!!!
    I really like their offense...
    My superbowl prediction was Giants-Broncos, so Im right there with you Allsports...

jesterson
    jesterson's Avatar Become A Pro!

You must be talking about chemistry on defense, because offensively, they've had 2 years to get it together, 1 with Burress. Eli is going to bust out big this year, although he'll still have the occasional mental lapse.

Defensively, chemistry isn't as important as offensively...on D, as long as everyone handles their assignments, the rest will come along once they learn tendencies. Offensively, QB-WR and QB-RB chemistry are sooo much more important because there's a greater degree of anticipation and trust that needs to develop before a QB gets a "favorite" target, or knows exactly how his RB likes the ball on a handoff or screen.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

welp, the Giants were very strong out of the gate last year...

The thing I'm talking most about is the quiet division between strahan and tiki. One of the two is a total flake as a leader. I always thought it was Strahan and I think I'm right - because Tiki CARRIED that team and Eli made a few nice plays to win games they shouldn't have... And a few games the D did almost nothing to make it easier, especially in big games.

I REALLY don't like the Giants D (and Strahan) in a big spot against a solid opponent. I'm not saying he gives up, but I will say he's not very effective. I know that's one guy on a star-studded D, but he's their vocal and emotional leader. That does count for something in a team sport.

On O, I don't like Plax. He's a thug and cool-guy. He drops balls too much and gets away with a LOT of blatent pushing off. Sure he is very good and I'd love to have him on MY team, but he's very 'me' oriented. Not that that's a bad thing in a receiver, but I like say... Marvin Harrison's 'me' attitude or Chad Johnson's '7-11, I'm always open' attitude over Plaxico's 'it's not my fault' attitude. Guys like that generally don't win big games.

allsports
    allsports's Avatar Become A Pro!

Giants - WoW!

I'm speechless as to how boneheaded the Giants have been the past four weeks but amazingly, they are still in it. Hopefully when Strahan gets back, they will make a run.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n
    I've been watching and following the NYG since someone noted them as a serious favorite that I hadn't considered. I think they can get close, but I have to question their chemistry. I don't like the leadership on that team, and while it's better than it was 5 years ago, there are too many 'chefs' - and that generally causes problems... Especially when a team goes on 'tilt' some (which the Giants did do last year).

I give their O line a bit of credit, they are better than last year, but they are still pretty mediocre or slightly better there.

They sure have the talent - but I really don't like their chemistry. That can develop, though - but historically, teams with that much talent that can't get it together flame out at some point.
    Damn, now here's a guy who knows what he's talking about.