LUNT101
    LUNT101's Avatar Become A Pro!

LUNT's Pick Of The Night - 02/26

Indiana Hoosiers -8 vs. Ohio State Buckeyes

I will start off by saying I go to IU, and I am a die-hard Hoosier fan. I believe that having watched every game this season (including being a season-ticket holder and attending every home game to date) gives me more insight to the game than the average college hoops fan.

The one factor in this game that cannot be ignored is the effect of the entire Kelvin Sampson situation on the team. One thing about this group of kids is that they are an extremely tight-knit group centered around senior captain DJ White. It has been this way all season. DJ came to IU to play for Mike Davis, saw him leave after his sophomore year, played for Kelvin Sampson his junior year and now has him leave as well 3/4 of the way into his senior year. Interim head coach Dan Dakich will be DJ's 3rd coach in his 4 years at IU. Between that and some of the injuries he has faced, DJ is no stranger to adversity and his ability to fight through it and continue to be a premier player and emotional leader is something the other guys on the team respect and cherish. Somehow through all of this, DJ has remained positive and the team has become even closer to him and have rallied around him with an "us against the world" mentality. This cannot be undervalued when you look at their first home game since Sampson's departure.

Sampson was a father-figure to many of the players on this team and it was tough for them to see him go. Six players missed practice the day that the decision to buyout Sampson's contract was announced. This is understandable, as there must have been countless things going through their minds. However, everybody was present at the walk-through later that evening and nobody was ever seriously considering missing the Northwestern game; they just needed a little time to clear their heads. Even coach Dakich, who is known as a disciplinarian, sympathized with the state of mind of the team. "You don't miss practice, ever. But this isn't ever. This is extraordinary circumstances," he said. "I go back to when I played and if Coach [Bob] Knight had been let go after 25 games or something, there probably would have been mayhem for me." The team really did not get any quality practice time in, as their game was the following evening, and it showed in terms of them trying to stop Northwestern's Princeton offense. Time after time, backdoor cuts would catch the Hoosier defense off guard and Northwestern actually led the majority of the game despite IU shooting 56.1% from the field as a team. Their lack of knowledge about the NW offense due to lack of practice, combined with 17 Hoosier turnovers (which come from not completely having your head in the game, but who could blame them?), and NW forward Kevin Coble scoring 37 points led to the close final score. However, IU escaped. The joy on their faces after DJ White sealed the game with a block on Michael Thompson was something special. The moral of the story? The guys know they can overcome anything as long as they stick together and trust one another.

Now, to tonight's game:

Let's face it: Ohio State is not a very good team and would be on the outside looking in if the NCAA tournament were to start today. They are coming off a loss on the road to Michigan by 10 (ouch), and a 5 point loss to Wisconsin at home. They are a team who have had to deal with serious offensive inconsistencies all season and are shooting an abysmal 38.1% as a team in 4 games against teams who have a winning record in Big Ten play. Their best player is Jamar Butler who was held to 4 points on 2 of 8 shooting by Eric Gordon (one of the best defenders in the conference) the first time these teams met in Columbus. Their only other scoring threat is Kosta Koufos, whose numbers will be trumped by DJ White's regardless, as they were last game (18 and 9 compared to White's 21 and 13). The Hoosiers have had ample time to practice for this game, and believe me when I tell you that the atmosphere will be ELECTRIC at Assembly Hall tonight. IU plays 10x better at home, they feed off the intensity of the crowd, and with this being their first game at home with Dakich as coach, the support for the team by the fans will be unprecedented. Hoosier Nation and the players alike are looking to unleash their frustration on someone, and unfortunately for Ohio State, they're next up on the schedule.

Look for IU to jump out to a substantial lead early and to fend off State anytime they get close. If nothing else, free throws at the end of the game will cover the spread for the Hoosiers.

Looking to go 7-1 on my Picks of the Night. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

GO IU!
    Last edited by LUNT101; 02-26-08 at 05:06 PM.

LUNT101
    LUNT101's Avatar Become A Pro!

bump

PerfecTrader
    PerfecTrader's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd like to bump your avatar lmao. If that's you I'll start driving from Chi-town right now lol. Well I was a bit on the fence on this one but your avatar swayed me to the dark side. Hey this may be a real dump question but what do people mean when they post "bump"?

IU -8

Gundog
    Gundog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Good Luck