Magnificent
    Just tryin to be Jay Bilas...
    Magnificent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1118

Does anyone hold weight with KenPom in their research and choosing of lines?

I've always read about KenPom and know its a deeply statistical way of going about your selections. I sometimes find myself going too deep into statistics to make predictions, but also find at times that they are spot on. Basically I'm just trying to see how many stat nerds out there might find these helpful (if you can actually understand the root of the stats and the meanings) and how many people might find these not as helpful. I would appreciate the feedback people. Just trying to have a somewhat intelligent conversation about this particular topic and how it pertains to betting on the games. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to the responses.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Betting KenPom differences (ie. KenPom has team A -4, books have team A at -1, so bet team A) will not make money long run. KenPom has some valuable information available and for $20 is well worth it. But he isn't giving away winners, it is just one of many research tools that can be utilized to be successful.

I doubt KenPom is the best NCAAB capper, but it is the best readily available. If it were that good at beating the books, he wouldn't sell it for $20 a pop.

Vinnie Paz
    Vinnie Paz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3413

Doesn't that guy post his picks on his Twitter or somewhere??

Also some guys use sagarin, I know poster stevenash brings him up every now & then. I tried that for college football, never did me much good

Magnificent

I hear ya. I havent even subscribed to it. But I am going to, just for my own research purposes and for a little project that I'm working on. I totally understand what you're saying about his differences not equaling automatic success, but I wasnt really trying to ask if his picks are on the money. I was more wondering, if his statistical breakdowns or projections (however they may be labeled) leave room for an advantage in certain areas. Like are there certain stats ratings that he uses that are better than others and would therefore be weighted more while factoring in other variable of research outside of his listings. I dont know, I guess its all in how you look at it. I'm going to subscribe tho, if only to find out back dated information for my project and see how I can apply his data to the other variable that I want to delve into.

Fishscale
    Fishscale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Waste of money. Like the dude above said, if it gave out any real edge, it wouldn't be sold and dude would be in the French Isles. Instead, he's in a crappy one bedroom selling a bunk site to get rich quick dreamers on the internet.

thfootball
    thfootball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7659

if you want possible score predictions then look on the betting website that post team totals, and try to handicap it from there. Just a kinda outta there thought.

neutral
    Update your status
    neutral's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3546

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent View Post
    I've always read about KenPom and know its a deeply statistical way of going about your selections. I sometimes find myself going too deep into statistics to make predictions, but also find at times that they are spot on. Basically I'm just trying to see how many stat nerds out there might find these helpful (if you can actually understand the root of the stats and the meanings) and how many people might find these not as helpful. I would appreciate the feedback people. Just trying to have a somewhat intelligent conversation about this particular topic and how it pertains to betting on the games. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to the responses.
    In short, no but it provides some key stats readily available. You can use it as part of base research.
    Points Awarded:

Magnificent gave neutral 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Magnificent

Quote Originally Posted by Fishscale View Post
    Waste of money. Like the dude above said, if it gave out any real edge, it wouldn't be sold and dude would be in the French Isles. Instead, he's in a crappy one bedroom selling a bunk site to get rich quick dreamers on the internet.
    He's actually a Meterologist for the Government, A proffessor at Utah Univ, and has authored (or at least co-authored) 4 or 5 CBB books since 2008. I doubt that hes living in a one bedroom and selling bunk information to get rich quick dreamers. Many coaches across the country love to use his methods and data to try and stratigize against opponents. He sells it now, because its a shit load of info and I'm sure takes a lot of time to compile and apply his methods, therefore giving himself some income based on the amount of time he spends doing it. Im not implying that if you subscribe to his page that you will be covering more wagers than a drone of bees do flowers, but I'm sure there are some numbers there that are useful if they are looked at in the right perspective. It'd be up to me or you do decide and figure what perspective that is. I'd say its worth the 20 for the info all day. Just gotta put your thinking cap on, instead of throwing darts at a board...I suck at darts...