mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cavs to go after Redd....

CAVALIERS

I know it's hard to think the Cavaliers could replace what Wally Szczerbiak gave them in Game 7 in Boston, but they do need to get better, and Szczerbiak is one key piece of any possible trade puzzle.

There's a lot of talk about acquiring Michael Redd from the Milwaukee Bucks, and it might be realistic.

The Bucks have a new GM and a new coach, and there seems to be a strong feeling from Milwaukee that Redd will be traded. A rebuilding team does not want $50 million in future contracts gumming up the works.

Redd, a career 20-point scorer, averaged 22.7 points per game last season, his lowest since 2002-03. He and LeBron James have played together on Team USA, and his scoring could be energized playing on the same team as James.

A lineup that includes Delonte West and Redd at guard is pretty appealing.

Redd will make $15.8 million, $17 million and $18.3 million (player option) the next three seasons. The Cavs have Szczerbiak's $13 million and Damon Jones' $4.5 million in expiring contracts to work with.

There's another piece I would consider.

That is Anderson Varejao, who will be paid $5.8 million this year (with a player option for 2009-10).

Varejao didn't exactly distinguish himself in the playoffs, and the deal he signed allows him to be a free agent after next season. As the season went on, he did not much like the idea of sharing time with Ben Wallace. When he was a restricted free agent, he did all he could to get out of Cleveland.

Too, the NBA is going to fine teams for flopping next season, and that might mean Dan Gilbert would go in the red with Varejao around.

He could be appealing to the Bucks, because they need rebounding. If he plays well, he could remain with the Bucks. He doesn't, the Bucks get more salary-cap space to rebuild.

So why not think about moving a guy who decided at some point that he was Julius Erving and hurt the team with his driving spins to the basket?

If the Cavs want size back, they could ask for Charlie Villanueva, who is 6-foot-11 and a decent scorer. He also wears a headband, which would fit in with James.

They could even discuss a future first-round draft pick, though NBA rules do limit that option a bit.

Redd and Villanueva for Szczerbiak and Varejao and a potential future draft pick.

Is this possible?

I have no idea, but I'd sure look into it. Aggressively.
    This would shake up the top of the East a good bit.

Clev
    Boston
    Det

motley
    motley's Avatar Become A Pro!

redd... would look good in red...

maybe this time when cle looses they would no longer create more excuses for their franchise (player.)

i like anderson on a new team, but z should also explore new teams since they are just a couple of players that is not even a complement for someone, they are not even a supporting cast. heck why not trade everyone expect 1 person and build an all-star team in which only dunks are the high percentage shot.

lastly this would be a good move, now all they need are 3 more all-star players and their done.
    Last edited by motley; 06-02-08 at 12:17 PM. Reason: could have been longer but i should stop

ryanXL977
    ryanXL977's Avatar Become A Pro!

funny and true
    cavs are garbage
    lebron is the most amazing penetrator since ron jeremy