JoJo5473
    JoJo5473's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3046

Can someone help me understand the difference between "0.0" and "-0.5" in Basketball?

I Just looked up Bet365 and saw two games have lines set at "0.0"(or pk on other books). One is Knicks @ Magic and the other one is Pelicans @ Kings. I asked their staff about the difference between "0.0" and "-0.5" but he didn't explain the EXACT difference. First he said "0.0" means if the game ends with a draw then you win, I said there is no "draw" in basketball, he asked around about that and came back saying "0.0" implies that if you win then you win, which still does not explain the difference between "0.0" and "-0.5". Can somebody who knows give me an answer, thanks.

panik
    panik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3139

Magic @ Cavs -1.0 Magic means if Magic wins by 1 its a push. 2 equals a win.
    Magic @ Cavs -1.5 Magic means if Magic wins by 1 its a loss. 2 equals a win.

JoJo5473

Quote Originally Posted by panik View Post
    You are just like the staff at bet365, when they can't answer something they give you the explaination for something else.

panik

Quote Originally Posted by JoJo5473 View Post
    You are just like the staff at bet365, when they can't answer something they give you the explaination for something else.
    That didnt answer it? 0.0 there can be a win/push/lose, 0.5 there can only be a win/lose.

Knicks @ Magic Knicks won 99-98.

If you bet Knicks 1.0 Then its a push... If you bet Knicks 1.5 then you lose.

Dont know how else to explain it.

panik

Oh I think I get it.... PK means its basically "even" as in no lines whoever wins, win. Just like choosing ML but it has same win amount wherthe you pick Knicks or Maigc.

JoJo5473

Oh I think I get it.... PK means its basically "even" as in no lines whoever wins, win. Just like choosing ML but it has same win amount wherthe you pick Knicks or Maigc.
    Good at least now you get what I am asking, but I still don't understand your answer, mind to elaborate? Thanks for the effort though.

nelsonrc24
    nelsonrc24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1089

I Just looked up Bet365 and saw two games have lines set at "0.0"(or pk on other books). One is Knicks @ Magic and the other one is Pelicans @ Kings. I asked their staff about the difference between "0.0" and "-0.5" but he didn't explain the EXACT difference. First he said "0.0" means if the game ends with a draw then you win, I said there is no "draw" in basketball, he asked around about that and came back saying "0.0" implies that if you win then you win, which still does not explain the difference between "0.0" and "-0.5". Can somebody who knows give me an answer, thanks.
    Youve seen a -0.5 too?!

JoJo5473

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonrc24 View Post
    Youve seen a -0.5 too?!
    What do you mean? I just want to know the difference between say " knicks at kings 0.0 -110" and "knicks at kings -0.5 -110", I don't know what the difference is because there is no draw game at the end in basketball
    so anything that covers "0.0" also automatically covers "-0.5", but there is obviously a difference otherwise there wouldn't be two lines.

Mocknroll
    Mocknroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

So many idiots on this forum. Some pretty retarded explanations to a pretty simple question.

There is no difference between -0.5, +0.5 and PK. Whatever line you take your team needs to win and there is no scenario where a push can occur.

Usually the only thing +/-0.5 indicates is where the ML is headed or is currently situated. Even though both teams are effectively PK with the +/- you may still be able to get the +0.5 at slightly better odds on the ML than the -0.5 team.

At PK the teams should be paying the exact same on the ML. At +/-0.5 there may be a slight difference on the ML despite not being able to get a handicap advantage on either team.

Hope this answers your question.

BCC585
    BCC585's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1206

How do you not understand that?

Mocknroll

Quote Originally Posted by BCC585 View Post
    How do you not understand that?
    Nobody in this thread asked a question about the difference between -1 and -1.5. The question was what's the difference between -0.5 and +0.5. I'm sure he already understood that an NBA game could finish with a 1 point differential and therefore a push was possible.

OP's comment had nothing to do with not understand the -1/-1.5 difference, it was around the fact that paniks answer had nothing to do with the original question.

JAnthony
    JAnthony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

Actually, bookies have those lines, for example, NY Knicks (0) and that would mean a push, if game went into OT.

Mocknroll

Quote Originally Posted by JAnthony View Post
    Actually, bookies have those lines, for example, NY Knicks (0) and that would mean a push, if game went into OT.
    0 as a handicap is the same as the ML. If you're saying 0 means a push if it goes to OT then all ML bets also are a push if it goes to OT.

It's the NBA. Overtime happens almost every other night, so to have OT not included in a result in betting terms is idiotic. >1% of books would not include OT when settling NBA bets (it makes sense to not include OT in regards to totals but not when it comes to the final outcome of a game).

My book offers +/-0.5 and they most certainly DO include OT in ALL NBA betting results so whether your point is right or not (in regards to whether there are books who do not include OT in settling NBA bets) it does not answer the initial question as to why they would offer these lines if they don't 'mean anything'.

JAnthony

It's not the same as ML. In every sport (hockey, football etc.) there is a handicap option of (0) and that means 'no-bet' if game ends as a draw.

nelsonrc24

Quote Originally Posted by Mocknroll View Post
    So many idiots on this forum. Some pretty retarded explanations to a pretty simple question.

There is no difference between -0.5, +0.5 and PK. Whatever line you take your team needs to win and there is no scenario where a push can occur.

Usually the only thing +/-0.5 indicates is where the ML is headed or is currently situated. Even though both teams are effectively PK with the +/- you may still be able to get the +0.5 at slightly better odds on the ML than the -0.5 team.

At PK the teams should be paying the exact same on the ML. At +/-0.5 there may be a slight difference on the ML despite not being able to get a handicap advantage on either team.

Arent you the fukking clown who doubted that i saw a -0.5 or +0.5 on bet365?! There you go, biaaatch!

Mocknroll

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonrc24 View Post
    Arent you the fukking clown who doubted that i saw a -0.5 or +0.5 on bet365?! There you go, biaaatch!
    Yep, I called you out in another thread and said -0.5 doesn't exist and then said that my book offers -0.5.

Good logic soccerboy.

nelsonrc24

"with one of those being +0.5. (You know they can't tie in the NBA right?)"
    You pretty much called me an idiot for saying something that actually exists, even though i insisted i havent even looked at the numbers, just subtracted 6 or 7 or whatever.

nelsonrc24

and btw, its football.

Mocknroll

You were talking about a teaser and I never said +0.5 didn't exist, I just called you an idiot for even contemplating that in a teaser (whether you just subtracted 6 or 7 or not, anybody with half a brain knows that you lose a point by crossing zero in a teaser).

And it might be called football where you come from, but if you say football to anyone in the world it could be a variety of sports. If you say soccer, everybody knows what you're talking about. Soccer. No confusion, everybody's happy.

So don't get your knickers in a knot soccerboy. It's called soccer.

nelsonrc24

You were talking about a teaser and I never said +0.5 didn't exist, I just called you an idiot for even contemplating that in a teaser (whether you just subtracted 6 or 7 or not, anybody with half a brain knows that you lose a point by crossing zero in a teaser).
    You dont say?!?!

The spread was +6.5 or whateverand i subtracted 6 or 7 without even looking at the -0.5 or +0.5. But thanks for telling, i really didnt know that in the nba games cant end with a draw. If only i knew it before.

"A variety of sports"....such as handball, chess, volleyball, tenis, hockey

nelsonrc24

Anyway, lets stop. Yup, a bit silly of me for not noticing.
    Merry Christmas.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

it can come into play for teaser bets & books that offer just regulation bets where OT is not included. Otherwise it's pointless

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

It's not the same as ML. In every sport (hockey, football etc.) there is a handicap option of (0) and that means 'no-bet' if game ends as a draw.
    Basketball cant end in a draw is his point! *Facepalm*

JAnthony

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    Basketball cant end in a draw is his point! *Facepalm*
    God damn it, I did not say that it can! But it can end as a draw in regulation (same for hockey), but of course you can not bet on draw, but if you lay TEAM A (0) asian handicap, then, if it goes to overtime, your bet is a push. And I just said that some bookies offer this kind of bet option and same to other sports as well. SO IT CAN MEAN DIFFERENT THINGS DEPENDING ON A BOOKIE!

JAnthony

And my point was - THAT HANDICAP (0) CAN MEAN 'NO-BET', IF GAME ENDS AS A DRAW AND THAT (0) IS NOT NECESSARILY AN "ML".

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

God damn it, I did not say that it can! But it can end as a draw in regulation (same for hockey), but of course you can not bet on draw, but if you lay TEAM A (0) asian handicap, then, if it goes to overtime, your bet is a push. And I just said that some bookies offer this kind of bet option and same to other sports as well. SO IT CAN MEAN DIFFERENT THINGS DEPENDING ON A BOOKIE!
    But thats only applicable to sports like hockey that allow you to bet "in regulation"...basketball isnt one of those

JAnthony

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3 View Post
    But thats only applicable to sports like hockey that allow you to bet "in regulation"...basketball isnt one of those
    No the same is for football (as you might call it - soccer), the same principle, if you bet TEAM A (0), then in a draw situation your bet is a push. European bookies (not all of course) have those (0) and ML separately for exactly that reason. And when line on the NBA game is basically a PK, then there is that (0) option, which will mean a push, if game ends as a draw. Dude, why would I make this up?! It's just how it is, but it depends on a bookie.

JoJo5473

This explaination is much better.

JoJo5473

This makes sense too, thanks.

JoJo5473

No the same is for football (as you might call it - soccer), the same principle, if you bet TEAM A (0), then in a draw situation your bet is a push. European bookies (not all of course) have those (0) and ML separately for exactly that reason. And when line on the NBA game is basically a PK, then there is that (0) option, which will mean a push, if game ends as a draw. Dude, why would I make this up?! It's just how it is, but it depends on a bookie.
    So since I saw "0.0" on bet365 basketball games that implies if the game goes to OT it's a push regardless the final result of OT.