Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9181

My Motorsport 2014

F1 season is about to kick off with the new look cars starting to be revealed and the first Winter test at Jerez about to kick off.

I think France and Eccelstone got together to think up some Mickey Mouse new rules. The big dumbass one for F1 is the final race being worth double points.... not quite as bad as the NASCAR knockout so the final race is for everything with no regard to the points from other 35 races... but just as "anti- true-racing" in my mind.

New hybrid V6 engines and nose height rules are making it appear designers have been left in quite a fixed box, with the 3 cars we have seen so far being pretty much copies of each other... which sucks for looks and innovation. But it is what it is now.

Should be a fun season still with all the changes.

Loving the driver lineups for F1. Especially the Caterham and Force India pairings. But almost every team seems to have managed to go for quality in their pairings, rather than just money.

Red Bull Racing
    #1 Sebastian Vettel (Germany)
    #3 Daniel Ricciardo (Australia)

Mercedes
    #44 Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain)
    #6 Nico Rosberg (Germany)

Ferrari
    #14 Fernando Alonso (Spain)
    #7 Kimi Raikkonen (Finland)

Lotus
    #8 Romain Grosjean (France)
    #13 Pastor Maldonado (Venezuela)

McLaren
    #22 Jenson Button (Great Britain)
    #20 Kevin Magnussen (Denmark)

Force India
    #27 Nico Hulkenberg (Germany)
    #11 Sergio Perez (Mexico)

Sauber
    #99 Adrian Sutil (Germany)
    #21 Esteban Gutierrez (Mexico)

Toro Rosso
    #25 Jean-Eric Vergne (France)
    #26 Daniil Kvyat (Russia)

Williams
    #19 Felipe Massa (Brazil)
    #77 Valtteri Bottas (Finland)

Marussia
    #17 Jules Bianchi (France)
    #TBA Max Chilton (Great Britain)

Caterham
    #TBA Kamui Kobayashi (Japan)
    #TBA Marcus Ericsson (Sweden)

Williams have done the paddock a dis-service by coming out early with their clearly ugly nose design;

But I think McLaren have done a decent job of packaging the dick-nose design into soemthing half attractive.

Points Awarded:

GP gave Optional 12 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Optional

Tried to add a poll to this thread asking what series you like... tried to have 10 different to chose from... but get this annoying message when hit post.

You can only add a poll to a thread within 1 minutes of posting the thread.

Optional

If a mod reads this, and you are able, can you please add a poll to this thread.

"Which motorsport series do you like?"

Touring Cars
    Sprint Cars
    Rally/Offroad
    Formula E (electric)
    MotoGP/Bikes
    F1
    Indycar
    Sportscar/Lemans
    Drag Racing
    NASCAR

Multiple options allowed. No time limit. Show who voted what.

Thanks if you can...

Optional

I was wrong about all the noses looking the same. Lotus and Ferrari very different.

I bet they all end up nearly the same by next year though.

Don't mind the Ferrari look. Retro kind of I think.

rob
    rob's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6749

Opt, thanks for mentioning the change in awarding points in F1. I was unaware.
    I was surprised that F1 would do something so drastic. I always thought Ecclestone was going to run it into the ground. Hopefully things will turn around there since he's relinquished his role as the director.

Since it's the off-season - and it's colder than crap here - I'm re-reading my favorite racing book, "Best Damn Garage in Town", Smokey Yunick's autobiography. Yunick was heavily involved in NASCAR when it began and for many years after. His experiences with Bill France Sr. shed a much different light on the man who many look back upon with great respect.
    Last edited by rob; 01-25-14 at 08:08 PM.

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Opt, thanks for mentioning the change in awarding points in F1. I was unaware.
    I was surprised that F1 would do something so drastic. I always thought Ecclestone was going to run it into the ground. Hopefully things will turn around there since he's relinquished his role as the director.

Since it's the off-season - and it's colder than crap here - I'm re-reading my favorite racing book, "Best Damn Garage in Town", Smokey Yunick's autobiography. Yunick was heavily involved in NASCAR when it began and for many years after. His experiences with Bill France Sr. shed a much different light on the man who many look back upon with great respect.
    Thanks Rob. About time I bought a new NASCAR book.

Anyone else watch the SkyF1 first day of testing roundup?

Damn the new engines sound a bit lame. Not as loud as a GP2 engine apparently.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Anyone have a shot at unseating Vettel

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Anyone have a shot at unseating Vettel
    For sure.

But no way to know who might beat him yet. Brand new engines and new car designs should mix things up for a while at least.

Most of them didn't manage to put in a proper fast lap on day 1 of testing. 11 more days to come.

Vegas39

Opti an Indy Car question. What do you expect from Montoya over there

Optional

Opti an Indy Car question. What do you expect from Montoya over there
    I don't know enough about his situation, but my bias about what a great driver he is makes me think he could be a runaway winner by the end of the season, and dominate the rest of the 'almost good enough for a top series' drivers over there for a few years.

But I don't really know. Often rely on MatI and others for proper Indycar insight myself.

The new Mercedes engines (McLaren/Merc/Williams/Force India) look like they have the early advantage in F1 so far. Ferrari ok too... but the Renault teams (Red Bull/Torro Rosso/Lotus/Caterham) are all having trouble on the first two days.

Fastest cars are still 4 or 5 seconds off last year's testing speeds though. So can't really read too much into performance comparisons until they have all got their shit together enough to do fast runs.

Optional

really good explanation of how the new F1 engines and energy recovery systems work on SkyF1 right now.

http://cricfree.tv/sky-sports-f1-live-stream.php

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29042

I may have mis-read this because it was just scrolling in bottom of the screen during racehub earlier in the week, but here is what I saw I tiink?

But it I swear I thought I saw Kurt Busch say he is 70% sure he is gonna run the Indy 500. Any1 else hear that?

Vegas39

Yes he is wanting to that's a brutal day running 500 and coke 600.

Optional

Gene Haas has to get maximum media for Kurt is most of the reason this is being talked about I think.

Although would be fun to see how he goes.

MatI
    MatI's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7480

Hey opti, been sitting here following the testing this evening. It's got be salivating for some racing!!

already put some f1 bets on already today. Couldn't help myself

Hope you are well mate, I've been laying real low but looking forward to getting back into it with 500 coming up.

Optional

Yeah it's got me more excited for a new season than I have been for a few years too.

Just woke up so just catching up on whats gone on today. Still troubles for Red Bull by looks.

And BBC commentary says 'everyone' thinks the Marussia is the best looker!

Nice to see your face. I should have laid low too. Haven't been betting much, but what I have bet has been doomed.

MatI

The marussia looks the best because the black hides all the ugly! The caterham looks hideous!

RB in serious trouble right now. still can't string any laps together. Mclaren, merc and Ferrari wall with solid starts though which is good.

I couldnt help myself, took some futures earlier today.
    2 units on Lewis @ 5
    qtr unit on Alonso @ 6
    2 units on Ferrari @ 5

Optional

Hard to know but I've been feeling Ferrari might be the sleeper too.

Too early for me for futures yet. Would think a good day from Red Bull and those prices will get better.

I see Horner and Newey already left the track, and only Renault car to do double figure laps just conked out again.

Saw an interview with a Lotus engineer yesterday who was explaining the issue as a software coding error. Sounded like the systems to pre-spin up the turbo, and release ERS to the crank just won't work without a lot of hours of recoding.

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Gene Haas has to get maximum media for Kurt is most of the reason this is being talked about I think.

Although would be fun to see how he goes.
    Makes sense since Haas footing bill for Kurts ride this season

MatI

Hard to know but I've been feeling Ferrari might be the sleeper too.

Too early for me for futures yet. Would think a good day from Red Bull and those prices will get better.

I see Horner and Newey already left the track, and only Renault car to do double figure laps just conked out again.

Saw an interview with a Lotus engineer yesterday who was explaining the issue as a software coding error. Sounded like the systems to pre-spin up the turbo, and release ERS to the crank just won't work without a lot of hours of recoding.
    Seems like multiple issues with the RB. 2 more weeks until the next test in Bahrain. It will be very interesting to see if they can start clocking up the miles.

Some stats on mileage over the 4 days:

Team Laps Km
    Mercedes 309 1368
    Ferrari 251 1111
    McLaren 24 1084
    Williams 175 774
    Sauber 163 721
    Force India 146 646
    Caterham 76 336
    Toro Rosso 54 239
    Marussia 30 132
    Red Bull 21 92

Engine Laps Km
    Mercedes 875 3874
    Ferrari 444 1966
    Renault 151 668

I really think any team undercooked on preparation will struggle for atleast the first qtr of the season. I fear for Lotus performance as all the Renault teams struggling with engine integration. Having missed the first test completely I bet the are praying everything comes together smoothly!

Optional

How good is it to see Williams looking as good as anyone?!

Tough to overcome losing 33% of test time with a new car. Agree the Renault teams might be behind the 8 ball for at least a few races even if they solve the bulk of their issues before next test.

They'll be really farked if they roll out at Bahrain and don't have most of it right.

MatI

Very nice to see Williams up there. I doubt they will contend for the championship but it def looks like they could be regular point scorers this year. Seem to have a solid car to work with. They are very lucky to have signed with Merc, they look like geniuses now! I like the Massa/Bottas combo too - could be entertaining.

SubjectMatterExp
    SubjectMatterExp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 995

You two got any suggestions on f1 championship future bets?

Optional

Quote Originally Posted by SubjectMatterExp View Post
    My suggestion is to wait until Red Bull shows some testing reliability, so odds on Ferrari and Mercedes drivers improve, then back one or all of them.

I guess Alonso and Hamilton have to be the lead contenders from those 2 teams, but who knows if Kimi or Nico might find the new car and driving style suits them better.

MatI already took Alonso and Hamilton he said in post #17... and he's been better than me for last 2 years with F1 picks.

Vegas39

Opti do any of the Books you use post or have they posted Indy car futures yet

Optional

Opti do any of the Books you use post or have they posted Indy car futures yet
    Nope.

TAB, Sportingbet, Uwin and Betfair don't have it yet, if they will cover it at all.

They have stuff like Rally and Speedway futures up, but no Indycar. Weird/sad for the series that people care even less about it than speedway futures...

Vegas39

Nope.

TAB, Sportingbet, Uwin and Betfair don't have it yet, if they will cover it at all.

They have stuff like Rally and Speedway futures up, but no Indycar. Weird/sad for the series that people care even less about it than speedway futures...
    wonder if its because they don't have opener til March 30th

Optional

wonder if its because they don't have opener til March 30th
    Could be. Probably is.

Who did you want to back?

Vegas39

Debating Montoya if odds decent

Optional

Yeah same.

And if Montoya is fave or near it, probably look at Will Power's price, which should be better for Montoya's presence.

Vegas39

Yes was thinking same thing .....great minds

MatI

Quote Originally Posted by SubjectMatterExp View Post

My suggestion is to wait until Red Bull shows some testing reliability, so odds on Ferrari and Mercedes drivers improve, then back one or all of them.

I guess Alonso and Hamilton have to be the lead contenders from those 2 teams, but who knows if Kimi or Nico might find the new car and driving style suits them better.

MatI already took Alonso and Hamilton he said in post #17... and he's been better than me for last 2 years with F1 picks.
    Hey, yeah like opti said I am really liking Hamilton so far. (and have taken Hamilton & a little on Alonso). I think the best cars so far are McLaren, Mercedes & Ferrari. You take any of the drivers I think you are in a with a good chance and I lean to Merc & Ferrari teams for this years winner. Still very early days though but thats where im looking at the moment.

MatI

Here's a couple of bets I really like for the WRC Rally Sweden this week. Starts in around 24 hours, ive found it hard to find a book that offers any odds. I was able to get some on at Sportsbet & Bet365.

Rally Sweden Winner, Seb Ogier -138
    Rally Sweden H2H, Robert Kubica -120 vs Henning Solberg

Ogier is really strong on the snow. He won in Sweden last year and will have no shortage of motivation in this one. Kubica was flying in Monte Carlo in Round 1 and was leading in his WRC debut, made even more impressive by the ice and snow conditions on the roads. He eventually fkd it up and ended the rally in a ditch. Kubica will have no trouble out pacing Solberg (who hasn't competed since finishing 8th in Rally Sweden last year), only thing that can hurt me here is Kubica crashing again. Worth the risk I say...

Optional

Thanks Matt... inspired me to deposit a little to B365 to tail those.

Give me an excuse to follow it a bit.

Looking at odds I guess Ogier is expected to win every round?

MatI

Ogier is strongest package by far. I think Meeke & Ostberg are good talents and could probably steal some wins from him. Latvala will be hoping for the same and I think depending on how Kubica develops he has the potential to upset as well.

1234 ... Last