bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

ITF to investigate suspected poisoning of Haas before Davis Cup match

I guess if plan A doesn't work at all, then use plan B.

ITF to investigate suspected poisoning of Haas before Davis Cup match

STUTTGART, Germany: The International Tennis Federation is investigating allegations that Tommy Haas was poisoned before Germany's Davis Cup match against Russia.

Haas was forced out of his match against Mikhail Youzhny with a suspected stomach virus as Russia won both reverse singles matches on Sept. 23 to win the semifinal series 3-2 and reach the Davis Cup final.

"We take this very seriously," ITF spokeswoman Barbara Travers said Wednesday. "The investigation starts today."

German teammate Alexander Waske said he was told by a Russian who manages numerous athletes that it was poisoning, not a virus. Waske didn't say who the manager was.

"He said as an aside, that it was bitter that Tommy Haas was poisoned," said Waske, who answered the man by saying that it was a virus. "Thereupon he said, no, they poisoned him."

Haas said he will fly Thursday from Argentina to his home in the United States for a complete checkup. Germany team doctor Erich Rembeck had done a checkup and run blood tests while the player was sick, but said they were only for a virus.

"I'm shocked that something like that appears possible," said Haas, ranked 13th. "When I think of how bad I felt, I can imagine it. I've been feeling weak for weeks."

Rembeck didn't rule out tampering with Haas' food or drinks. He said the German staff drew up meal plans, but the kitchen staff at the hotel prepared what ended up on the players' plates.

"I was the only one ever to order dessert or a Latte macchiato after dinner," Haas said. "If all this is true, since no one else got sick, that must have been when it happened."

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

Somehow the whole match fixing thing has become an indictment of the Russian mob.

It is clear that max fixing has taken place in the past, but to take it to this point seems to indicate (if it is true) that the fixers just don't care about the consequences or are too arrogant and/or stupid to try to hide it while the whole tennis world is watching almost every match now.

Otherwise I just think Haas is looking for an excuse for the loss and "poisoning" seems to be a easy out for him.
    Last edited by jon13009; 11-08-07 at 11:53 AM.

rugbybdyb
    rugbybdyb's Avatar Become A Pro!

didnt anyone learn anything from the whole Nancy Kerrigan thing.......If you are not as good as the other player then work harder to get better but there is no reason to try and hurt the competion. Just like that dumb ass kicker in Colorado who attacked the starter so he could play, Yes thats what I said he is now in jail becuase he did not get to "kick" the ball in a college football game........

jon13009
    jon13009's Avatar Become A Pro!

Looks like the US Davis Cup team won the cup while everyone was watching NCAA football, and was watching their food since no one got sick.

Since the US was playing Russia, I didn't even bother to look at the lines.

Congrats USA.